PDA

View Full Version : Auto box prob V70 T5 AWD

T5TIM
Thursday 14th April 2011, 19:13
Just been offered a 2000 W V70 T5 AWD with unknown gearbox issue. Apparantly it drives but has an issue. (sorry, I know more info would help!)

Is there a particular weakness likely to cause a problem?

Is the box unique to the awd?

Only info I have was that the owner thought it was a coolant issue which has caused the problem

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 14th April 2011, 19:24
Dip the gearbox and check the state of the fluid. If it has the consistancy of calf poo or the fluid isn't clear then it could be the seals on cooling pipe from the rad cross contaminating the fluid with coolant from the rad. This will mean a clean out of the gearbox and the rad could need to be replaced and new pipes and seals.

Don't drive it with contamination in the box it could mean a recon box which will set you back £2000 plus.

Don't know if I have the same box with a transfer box for four wheeldrive, but that was the problem with my V70 and I'm now on the third box.

T5TIM
Thursday 14th April 2011, 19:30
That sounds like exactly what they said, cross contamination.

v70torslanda
Thursday 14th April 2011, 22:15
Is it really a T5 with AWD? My learned friend Mr Stewart has previously stated that you couldn't buy such a beast. Are we talking phase 1 or 2?

If it is a phase 2 - VIN# YV1SW...- or an XC - VIN# YV1SZ... and it has auto box problems then I wouldn't buy it. Unless you have the skills and capabilities to overhaul the transmission then you are in the hands of people who you cannot trust.

Anyone can tell you they've done $whatever to the gearbox and you have to take their word for it. You can't check. This was my dilemma before I had the TCM reload last weekend. Despite nearly 30 years in the parts trade I found it impossible to trust anyone as estimates started at a grand and rapidly snowballed.

Not meaning to hijack your thread but if you're confident you can fix it then crack on. If not then you can buy a fully functioning V70 auto for less than it will cost you to fix one IYSWIM . . .

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 14th April 2011, 23:11
Its probably either the R AWD, or a 2.5 AWD. The gearboxes are different to standard boxes in that they have an extra output shaft attached to the final drive gear, and the casing will be different for this output. Other than that the internal gearbox parts should be the same, so in theory a parts swap from a standard box (of similar gearbox code less the 'AWD') would be possible.