PDA

View Full Version : V70 Cross Country Advice

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 21:14
looking at one of these beasts, love the chunkyness of them anyone got one or knowledge of them, car has good history, a bit spluttery ( owner thinks it needs a maf ), couple of questions

Is the height because of the shock / top mount set up or a different chassis ,

i take it these are prone to the normal angle gera issue the V70R AWD can have ?

Jaseb77
Thursday 14th April 2011, 11:48
hi Scotty,

something about keeping all tyres on an even wear too.

But they are nice , is it a P1 or P2 ?

Flatout Phil
Thursday 14th April 2011, 17:04
Get a Honda CRV - tinny but trouble free (pretty much) ;)

stevie69
Thursday 14th April 2011, 17:20
fb theres one of them in kirkaldy scrappies.been at it today and its all there..

The Flying Banana
Thursday 14th April 2011, 19:48
what yard is it in mate ?

stevie69
Thursday 14th April 2011, 19:53
henry grays.its silver.

The Flying Banana
Thursday 14th April 2011, 19:54
hi Scotty,

something about keeping all tyres on an even wear too.

But they are nice , is it a P1 or P2 ?

Ji Jase, hows trix :)

P1 , S plate

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 14th April 2011, 23:04
The cross country (if you're on about the P1) has different springs which make it higher, and the rear shocks are self levelling as well as the rear suspension unit it different to a standard v70, other than that its the same suspension/chassis as a normal v70.

They do have the same angle gear issues, but the engine output is only about 200bhp compared to the 265bhp grunt that the (early) R puts out. So angle gear, prop shaft, viscous coupling, rear diff, tyre wear differences, the usual things to look for.

If you don't mind a mechanical challenge every now and then, then go for it.

Jaseb77
Friday 15th April 2011, 10:41
Ji Jase, hows trix :)

P1 , S plate

Not bad Scotty, you still got the Gul T5-r . I keep looking for it in your works car park. but alas dont see it. ?

The Flying Banana
Friday 15th April 2011, 19:34
The Flying Banana is still here mate and is still on the road, still got the V8 BMW too but to try and stop having to go to garages so often i have bought another swede machine ...a SAAB 9-3 2.2 TiD which is actually OK, not sure why but really fancy one of these AWD beasts tho

AdyT5
Tuesday 19th April 2011, 01:34
Just bought a v70 awd went from a 850 T5 performance wise havent noticed a huge diffrence still got the grin factor. corning is alot more fun i now get g force round roundabouts lol i havent got it to break away on me yet the wife wasent to amused as she peeled her self of the passenger's side window with me saying erm corner's well with that Female look and Ya ThINK :} made my day lol. check for vibrations from propshaft mine's got a slight one at a steady 30 mph around town kinda feel it through me bum in the drivers seat around town above that its fine. whineing noise from rear end isnt a good sign. My fathers v70 AWD had a faint whine when he bought it but soon got louder this turned out to be the unit in front of the diff cost him £650 to get it sorted common prob so volvo reckon.check to see if it's rear propshaft is fitted as they do get removed if there's awd trouble check for play on the centre prop bearing and the rear cv joint's on the diff and rear wheel bearing's check axle oil level as they tend to use it. check tyre wear apart from the awd system there just the same as a normal 2.5 lp turbo v70. hope that help's.Scott Ady