PDA

View Full Version : checking for boost leaks today

stevie69
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 11:36
going to give it a try.iv made a little bung to go in where my dump valve is and put a tyre valve in it.iv made a hose up with a conection at each end and am going to use the spare tyre for pressure.so if i seal up the airfilter pipe by the maf,pressureise it then spray soapy water about will this show up any leaks??

p fandango
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 12:08
not convinced you'll get enough pressure from using the spare wheel

stevie69
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 12:30
iv got a small jump start/tyre inflator.will that be better?

stevie69
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 13:23
tried it with the spare tyre there and there was a big woosh of air coming from the front.i assume its the intercooler but cant see where its coming from.any ideas where to look?have to go and blow up my spare again as it went flat pretty quick..

p fandango
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 13:28
tried it with the spare tyre there and there was a big woosh of air coming from the front.i assume its the intercooler but cant see where its coming from.any ideas where to look?have to go and blow up my spare again as it went flat pretty quick..
there is a small hole in the bottom of the intercooler to drain oil out

stevie69
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 13:34
easy to see from underneath?do i just block it up?cheers for the quick reply..

p fandango
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 13:53
easy to see from underneath?do i just block it up?cheers for the quick reply..
its only about 3-4mm diameter & normally surround by oil so not that easy, its over towards the passenger side if i remember right. I put a pop-rivet in mine to block it

stevie69
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 14:02
cheers.ill have a look now..

stevie69
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 16:36
right.blocked the hole in the intercooler.iv took the metal pipe out the top of the turbo and blocked it with a ball.put my tyre valve in where the dumpvalve was and put the spare tyre on it.flattens the tyre pretty quick and sounds like i still have a massive leak by the front.am i missing something as i cant see where its coming from..

si850r
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 21:06
right.blocked the hole in the intercooler.iv took the metal pipe out the top of the turbo and blocked it with a ball.put my tyre valve in where the dumpvalve was and put the spare tyre on it.flattens the tyre pretty quick and sounds like i still have a massive leak by the front.am i missing something as i cant see where its coming from..

hopefully not a stupid answer but its not the noise from the tyre?

have you checked the o rings and intake gasket as this is where mine was, I have just fixed mine after spending ages chasing'air leaks'

Hope u find it mate