PDA

View Full Version : Graph

Giles
Monday 11th April 2011, 21:42
Dug out an old graph......was hoping to see torque values for sub 3,000rpm but not on here (hence con-rod question and only hoofing above 3,000rpm)

I am confused tho. Supposed to have 420Nm of torque being chipped? This only has 250. Is it because it's an auto or that it never had 420?

p fandango
Monday 11th April 2011, 21:54
are you sure thats a good graph, starting at 3.5krpm is high & looks like something was up with the run because of the 2 aborted lines just after 3krpm. & even the BHP is reading low even if they measured bhp@wheels (HLM did @engine)

Giles
Monday 11th April 2011, 21:56
are you sure thats a good graph, starting at 3.5krpm is high & looks like something was up with the run because of the 2 aborted lines just after 3krpm. & even the BHP is reading low even if they measured bhp@wheels (HLM did @engine)

that's the graph i got.....186 before chip, 204 after...boost gauge showed 1.0bar

p fandango
Monday 11th April 2011, 22:06
just worked out your BHP@engine isn't as low as i thought it was, assuming it was measured @wheels. As for the low torque i'd see what other similiar mapped cars have got, they had the dyno day a few months back so should be able to get some good comparisons from that thread

LiamT4
Monday 11th April 2011, 22:14
I don't think you get engine power with autos, just at the wheels.
I doubt the low torque is due to it being an auto and its unlikely that you would get 420nm just with an off the shelf map.

I'v always thought that autos can be a bit misleading when on dynos, especially with 4spd autos, so best not to compare with manuals.

However, they can be compared with other volvo 4spd autos and 250nm seems very low, as an example my s70r auto was running about 340nm on the same dyno.

I would suggest only comparing numbers with other autos.

p fandango
Monday 11th April 2011, 22:16
ah, i forgot it was a go-kart :smirk:

LiamT4
Monday 11th April 2011, 22:18
ah, i forgot it was a go-kart :smirk:

To be fair, it does say 855r manual on his sig.

p fandango
Monday 11th April 2011, 22:19
i didn't read that, nor that it said "auto" in the thread lol

t5_monkey
Monday 11th April 2011, 22:55
That reading does seem odd.

Mine got 276lb-ft at the wheels at 2500rpm, and dyno readings was from 1000rpm (blowing 5psi boost and 30bhp woot!)

Running from 3000rpm+ seems very odd

LiamT4
Monday 11th April 2011, 22:59
That reading does seem odd.

Mine got 276lb-ft at the wheels at 2500rpm, and dyno readings was from 1000rpm (blowing 5psi boost and 30bhp woot!)

Running from 3000rpm+ seems very odd

Could it be because its an auto? Kickdown maybe?

AndysR
Monday 11th April 2011, 23:01
From seeing my car recently rolling roaded and looking at the graph my guess is that the initial lines were loading the box up and then it probably kickdown to another gear so the operator let of the accelerator slightly then tried again from 3,500 when the box was less reluctant to kickdown and therefore allow the operator to use full throttle. Unfortunately to get a decent run with the auto I think 3rd is the best gear to use and you can't lock that gear out so a run from 3,500 is probably as good as you will get.

Giles
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 07:09

Yes...this was my old car (Si850R's car now ;) ) Just the only graph I have.....and i do recall Hamish taking the revs/gears up high then flooring it

stephenevans99
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 09:11
Could it be because its an auto? Kickdown maybe?

I'm certain the auto is placed into the 3rd on the selector so the convertor is locked preventing kickdown, hence why the run is started at 3k......I think. lol

AndysR
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 14:45
I'm certain the auto is placed into the 3rd on the selector so the convertor is locked preventing kickdown, hence why the run is started at 3k......I think. lol

Using 3rd gear on the 850 only prevents the box from going into 4th, the box will still kickdown into a lower gear which is why they have to go from 3k upwards when doing the power run.

JelT5
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 16:09
A lot of dynos won't run autos at all, purely because it's very difficult to get anywhere near as accurate a plot as you do with a manual...numbers can be a bit meaningless, it's how the car performs on the road/ track that really counts IMO.

LiamT4
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 17:03
A lot of dynos won't run autos at all, purely because it's very difficult to get anywhere near as accurate a plot as you do with a manual...numbers can be a bit meaningless, it's how the car performs on the road/ track that really counts IMO.

I agree, but they are usefull for checking afr's and seeing your power curves etc.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 21:49
why are you trawling over a graph for a car that you no longer own. Call me daft but what's the point?

Giles
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 21:52
why are you trawling over a graph for a car that you no longer own. Call me daft but what's the point?

Because I have been told that at 18psi to keep the rpm above 3,000 when flooring....i wanted to see the torque curve and try to figure out why and whether it produced a lot down below 3,000rpm. Basically to get an understanding of low rev characteristics.

The reason i am using an old graph is that this is the only one I have of a car I have driven so know the characteristics.

To sum, just curious as to what's happening below 3,000rpm.

p fandango
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 21:55
just curious as to what's happening below 3,000rpm.
in your case, NOTHING lol

Giles
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 21:56
in your case, NOTHING lol

nooo....that'll be my R manual lol (until the damned actuator arrives.....)

p fandango
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:00
until the damned actuator arrives.....
i haven't got it lol. I'm sure i read your post saying it was coming from America & had arrived in Coventry, so will be at the internation hub on Foleshill road. You must know the tracking number so phone them up & get them to chase it, i did that with my MSD & sped it up by a few days

si850r
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:01
omg...its in foleshill....Giles chase it up.....they would nick your virginity around there...!!!

Giles
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:04
It took a detour from the USA via Taiwan ...... currently been 'awaiting customs clearance' since sunday......

si850r
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:05
It took a detour from the USA via Taiwan ...... currently been 'awaiting customs clearance' since sunday......

thats 1 big detour.......hows the gear box go mate?

p fandango
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:06
ha ha, their just trying to figure out how much they can rob you for on import tax then.

Giles
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:08
thats 1 big detour.......hows the gear box go mate?

was sent to wrong address lol - had to get my dad to collect it from my workplace monday 12:20 and he took it straight to Pershore for about 13:45 ......haven't heard back yet so hope I dont get a bill for 36 hours labour lol .... been quoted 6 hours @ £45/hour so hoping he sticks to this......

....plus he's doing the inlet breather pipe too ......

si850r
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:10
fingers crossed then mate....

Giles
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:11
ha ha, their just trying to figure out how much they can rob you for on import tax then.

I got them to de-value the invoice to under the threshold ;) .......customs should believe it when they see it's chinese and agree it's worthless lol

si850r
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:14
:B_thumb:pmsl....

p fandango
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:14
I got them to de-value the invoice to under the threshold ;) .......customs should believe it when they see it's chinese and agree it's worthless lol
Americians won't normally do that becuase theirs quite a big fine over there apparantly. If its coming from China they'll do anything, my bro ordered some stuff & came wrapped in birthday paper & marked as a gift without even asking lol

Giles
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 22:17
my bro ordered some stuff & came wrapped in birthday paper & marked as a gift without even asking lol

lol