PDA

View Full Version : is there a market for aftermarket fabrication

graemewelch
Sunday 10th April 2011, 21:39
hope im not breaking any rules by asking this question. times are hard and im not earning enough at work so im thinking of fabricating a few performance parts. i used to build decats for a few fords and have recently built a sports cat for my s60 t5. im toying with the idea of getting a ac tig welder so i can fab header tanks ic and other bits. all comments welcome good or bad.

p fandango
Sunday 10th April 2011, 21:43
i'm interested in some custom rear shock mounts making, can you cut sheet steel?

graemewelch
Sunday 10th April 2011, 21:50
yes can cut it, but normaly id draw it up on cad and get it laser profiled. keeps it looking nice that way and normaly more cost effective

Tomcat
Sunday 10th April 2011, 21:59
There was a guy on the forum a while back who used to make nice shiny parts (Stainless dress up covers) and they sold fairly well. Knock your socks off, provided you ask Justin's permission before you actualy start advertising them properly there shouldn't be a problem.

p fandango
Sunday 10th April 2011, 21:59
laser cuttings the sort of thing i was after, if i either send you an actual mount or just a template would that be enough?

what i'm after is this just cut into flat sheet metal with the 3 holes drilled so its solid & not got the rubber mount, any ideas on a rough price

http://www.ipdusa.com/uploads/images_skus/5847.jpg

graemewelch
Sunday 10th April 2011, 22:14
by all means send me a mount and ill draw it up on cad and get a quote for you. will need to know what thickness you require. as for a price ive no idea untill i get the quote. feel free to pm.

that sounds good tomcat. would the shinny bits fella be wooty by any chance. he used to be on a mondeo forum i used to visit. his magic with sheet metal looks very good.

PHIL V70R
Sunday 10th April 2011, 22:14
watching this with intrest......

t5 pete
Sunday 10th April 2011, 22:27
theres deffinatly a market

siamblue
Sunday 10th April 2011, 22:28
Me too, as i am wanting a meth tank made up for the engine bay.
Gary.

Tomcat
Sunday 10th April 2011, 22:44
by all means send me a mount and ill draw it up on cad and get a quote for you. will need to know what thickness you require. as for a price ive no idea untill i get the quote. feel free to pm.

that sounds good tomcat. would the shinny bits fella be wooty by any chance. he used to be on a mondeo forum i used to visit. his magic with sheet metal looks very good.

Certainly was Wooty, he left a while ago sadly as his stuff is badly missed..if he's not in business for himself then he should be..

claymore
Monday 11th April 2011, 07:31
how about exhausts? I want a 3" cat back with just one small silencer.

Alan M
Monday 11th April 2011, 07:33
Aluminium fabricated parts are where the demand from various forums is what I come across. You will (as you should know) need a good pulsed inverter which is very costly. Good luck with your business plan/idea as times are hard at the minute and if you can start up now you should be able to do well if you can show good workmanship.

SKIDMARKS
Monday 11th April 2011, 08:59
Aluminium rad is on my list for the kit, and there is a big market in the kit industry for all sorts of ali and stainless products. To make your mark the cost has to be very realistic though in these tight times.

woz
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 18:46
To make your mark your marketing has to be good - in these tight times a lot of people will be working for peanuts to keep busy but not make any money and eventually the wife makes them get a proper job - back into slavery.

Once you start competing on price alone there is always someone who will do it cheaper.

Use good marketing to keep yourself busy and command a premium price - "because your worth it".

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th April 2011, 00:04
I like shiny things!

wegal
Thursday 28th April 2011, 10:53
Good market for shiny things, we are all magpies :-)

If the workman ship is good enough you should be able to make and sell stuff to people on here.

Good luck, and congrats for being brave enough to get off your arse and use your skills to make a few extra quid in these hard times. It will be a pain in the bum to start with, but you never know where it may lead. Respect to you.

t5_monkey
Thursday 28th April 2011, 11:24
hope im not breaking any rules by asking this question. times are hard and im not earning enough at work so im thinking of fabricating a few performance parts. i used to build decats for a few fords and have recently built a sports cat for my s60 t5. im toying with the idea of getting a ac tig welder so i can fab header tanks ic and other bits. all comments welcome good or bad.

Get yourself a simple website, and do a quality job when people ask - and you'll do well out of it !

Remember... Amazon and Microsoft were started in garages :)