PDA

View Full Version : chipped ecu

si850r
Saturday 9th April 2011, 19:27
can I run a chipped ecu ( the comany is called super chips) with my mbc?

Volvostorm
Saturday 9th April 2011, 19:32
Yes, a few do on here, just be careful as there may not be a boost cut any more.

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 20:13
the original superchips ECU's were designed to be used with a MBC/bleed valve as it only modified the standard protection parameters & they used a MBC then to raise the boost

As said be careful how much you raise the boost as it won't stop until you bend a con-rod

Giles
Saturday 9th April 2011, 21:44
Be ok with RICA and set to 16psi?

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 21:50
Be ok with RICA and set to 16psi?
i think RICA remaps boost higher than that anyway don't they? but you'll have the advantage of the more aggressive boost

Giles
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:02
i think RICA remaps boost higher than that anyway don't they? but you'll have the advantage of the more aggressive boost

Thought they were 14.7?

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:10
Thought they were 14.7?
that would be 1bar, thought they were a bit higher than that (1.1 - 1.2bar)

Giles
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:12
that would be 1bar, thought they were a bit higher than that (1.1 - 1.2bar)

when Hamish set mine (Si's) he set it to 1.0 bar

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:15
when Hamish set mine (Si's) he set it to 1.0 bar
i don't know, i'm anti-remap anyway ;) lol

Giles
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:17
i don't know, i'm anti-remap anyway ;) lol

surely they are good for the extra fuelling etc? MBC cant change that too? How do you get round it or dont you?

Also, would an EBC be good for setting it to 15psi 0-3,000rpm then 18psi 3,000 - 7,000rpm?

And if not, why not...... :)

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:25
surely they are good for the extra fuelling etc? MBC cant change that too? How do you get round it or dont you?
the ECU sorts its own fuelling out to a degree, which is why mine is running 99% injector duty at the minute lol. I am getting a Turbo Tuner so i can change the injectors & adjust the fuel, but it'll be mainly to remove limiters & to get the ECU to ignore fault codes

Also, would an EBC be good for setting it to 15psi 0-3,000rpm then 18psi 3,000 - 7,000rpm?

And if not, why not...... :)
it'll be fine to do that, but to get a decent controller which enables features like that your talking as much as forged con-rods anyway. The Apexi AVC-R which i've got allows you to program boost per 500rpm & different boost levels per gear. It also costs about £500 now

Giles
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:28
it'll be fine to do that, but to get a decent controller which enables features like that your talking as much as forged con-rods anyway. The Apexi AVC-R which i've got allows you to program boost per 500rpm & different boost levels per gear. It also costs about £500 now

OK - but.....forged rods = £300 then maybe 10 hours of my mechanics time to fit...... £450.........£750 total

May just do this lol.......sorry to divert on the thread (again) but with forged rods, what psi can you set it to and thrash the nuts off it at any rpm?

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:35
OK - but.....forged rods = £300 then maybe 10 hours of my mechanics time to fit...... £450.........£750 total

May just do this lol.......sorry to divert on the thread (again) but with forged rods, what psi can you set it to and thrash the nuts off it at any rpm?
10hrs to fit, know someone who's done it & don't think it took that long

if you get the rods then boost is limited by the next weakness in the line, which is probably getting enough fuel in lol

Giles
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:38
10hrs to fit, know someone who's done it & don't think it took that long

if you get the rods then boost is limited by the next weakness in the line, which is probably getting enough fuel in lol

I was guessing on the time....worst case etc.....

I was looking forward to upping mine to 18psi then was told of the dangers after....may as well have not bothered with MBC. But, I hear they are ace and am looking forward to installing it.

I just want 20psi+ and to cane the arse off my R at whatever rpm....how on earth do you make sure you only cane it after 3,000rpm? Surely the MBC goes nuts at whatever revs?

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:45
I was guessing on the time....worst case etc.....
you can leave the block in, just remove the sump & head to change them

I was looking forward to upping mine to 18psi then was told of the dangers after....may as well have not bothered with MBC. But, I hear they are ace and am looking forward to installing it.
you may be alright with 18psi, but when giving advice to others it better be safe than sorry. I ran 20.8psi on the stock ecu but certainly wouldn't tell anyone else to do that. When we first started using MBC's 13psi was considered the safe fuelling limit, but this has now grown over the years & the rods bending has became the worry. I'd fit it anyone & not known anyone be disappointed with one yet, i'm only down the road so help fit it if you want

I just want 20psi+ and to cane the arse off my R at whatever rpm....how on earth do you make sure you only cane it after 3,000rpm? Surely the MBC goes nuts at whatever revs?
any special reason you want 20psi? & what turbo you running because it might not be beneficial. Yes an MBC will boost as high as it can no matter what rpm, you just need to take it easy on the gas (or get busy with the electrics as i said on facebook yest lol)

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Interior/interior5.jpg

Giles
Saturday 9th April 2011, 22:53
any special reason you want 20psi? & what turbo you running because it might not be beneficial. Yes an MBC will boost as high as it can no matter what rpm, you just need to take it easy on the gas (or get busy with the electrics as i said on facebook yest lol)

20psi was just a saying.....just want max power with no worry......and it seems either new rods will help, or a phased EBC....

running a 16T with whites and RICA

Help with the MBC would be appreciated, and I have a 1.2bar actuator coming midweek and smithy has advised to put it on, and see what psi it is running at.....if too high, loosen.......then fit the MBC and set to 15/16psi

Jamest5r
Saturday 9th April 2011, 23:07

Forged rods from Kalmar (Don) are £380, ive just had them fitted to a block with standard pistions,bores honed, refurbed head, hoping to get it all done in that price range lol but i can then run 1.7bar.

leet5r
Saturday 9th April 2011, 23:09
the ECU sorts its own fuelling out to a degree, which is why mine is running 99% injector duty at the minute lol. I am getting a Turbo Tuner so i can change the injectors & adjust the fuel, but it'll be mainly to remove limiters & to get the ECU to ignore fault codes

are you goin to finsh bt , sorry lol , but we need proof that it works at york

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 23:16
are you goin to finsh bt , sorry lol , but we need proof that it works at york
lol she's getting there, got a busy schedule at the minute & skint. She won't be ready for York this time but i do want to race there so have to arrange a meet-up with you later in the year. Be patient, i want to get her back on the track more than anyone (i haven't raced for 3years) & the list is getting shorter

& to keep the thread nearly on topic, i'm not actually using my boost controller to raise the boost purely to monitor at the minute, & even at the 10psi its a vast improvement over the 15g

leet5r
Saturday 9th April 2011, 23:26
sell me the p plate then ha

p fandango
Saturday 9th April 2011, 23:30
sell me the p plate then ha
lol afraid not, now my bro is renting my house (moved in today) funds will be alot better. I'm looking at getting a private reg for Bonny

edit "D19 TSR" is available for £510, wouldn't take much to make it look like a B

Volvostorm
Saturday 9th April 2011, 23:33
I'm only planning a maximum of 2bar (29psi) withmine, and thats with a forged bottom end, was informed that is about the limit of a stock head gasket.

leet5r
Sunday 10th April 2011, 00:51
its not the same ped , plus mines a t5r lol