PDA

View Full Version : mot other day

ikp_77
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 21:53
had mot other day needed a new off side wish bone i had a look at old mots and its had 3 on the off side and 1 on the drivers side in 3 years is there sumit bent under the car

p fandango
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 21:55
something defo isn't right. What make are the new wishbones, Scantech (Parts for Volvo) are known to be c**p & can fail within a few months

nobananas
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 22:06
something defo isn't right. What make are the new wishbones, Scantech (Parts for Volvo) are known to be c**p & can fail within a few months

I'll second that, some pattern wishbones are dreadful, I've had bushes fail in just a few months !. I prefer to fit a genuine used arm now and swap my poly bushes in !

ikp_77
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 22:08
think that they are cheep ones and do,nt now wot make they are as the mot place just put it on for me

ikp_77
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 22:10
i was wondering if sumit was bent or it had been shunted on that side for it to fail all the time

nobananas
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 22:32
i was wondering if sumit was bent or it had been shunted on that side for it to fail all the time

What was the actual reason that the car failed MOT ?. It won't just say 'wishbone' it will say something like 'excessive movement in suspension balljoint' or 'movement in pin or bush'.

ikp_77
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 23:46
excessive movement on lower surpension arm off side

nobananas
Thursday 7th April 2011, 18:43
excessive movement on lower surpension arm off side

Hmm, that doesn't sound like a very accurate description, the descriptions have to be picked from a list that best fits the fault off the VOSA computer, haven't heard one as vague as that before. Ask the garage exactly where the movement was, it will be either in the bushes or the balljoint.

ikp_77
Thursday 7th April 2011, 21:52
excessive movement on the ball joint any ideas

nobananas
Thursday 7th April 2011, 23:25
It may just be the case that this time the balljoint failed but last time the bushes failed etc etc and each time a pattern wishbone has been fitted that simply hasn't lasted very long . In my experience the genuine wishbone balljoints tend to last a very long time, most of the time the inner bushes will pull out long before the balljoints wear out, if replaced with genuine bushes they can be quite serviceable again (better still replaced with poly-bushes) . However pattern arms usually have inferior inner bushes that can pull out in a matter of months and balljoints that won't last the course. It may simply be that yours has a genuine arm on one side but has had several pattern arms on the other that haven't lasted long.