PDA

View Full Version : Pillar boost gauge - red/black wires?

Giles
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 15:20
Just got one of these and it has a red wire and a black wire for the gauge lighting.....any idea where i connect them into? Was gonna splice into one of the lights but if there is an easier/tidier way?

Thanks,
Giles.

p fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 15:25
the lighting wire is the pink one which goes to most/all the switches. I can't remember if its positive or negative switching tho so will need a tester on it (feeling its negative so the other wire will go to a positive, but not 100% on that). That will dim the gauge with the illumination slider like the rest of the dash

JelT5
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 16:22
the lighting wire is the pink one which goes to most/all the switches. I can't remember if its positive or negative switching tho so will need a tester on it (feeling its negative so the other wire will go to a positive, but not 100% on that). That will dim the gauge with the illumination slider like the rest of the dash

Isn't the black one an earth mate?
I'll have to have a look at mine now- can't remember what I did (being a senile old git) but it works on the lights/ slider control.

p fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 16:24
Isn't the black one an earth mate?
I'll have to have a look at mine now- can't remember what I did (being a senile old git) but it works on the lights/ slider control.
if its bulb lit it won't matter which way you send the current thru (LED's will only work with current in correct direction). Its the pink wire i'm not sure whether it works off the negative or positive, but thats the wire he needs to connect to

JelT5
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 16:40
Ignore me Giles and listen to Pedro lol

p fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 16:44
Ignore me Giles and listen to Pedro lol
are you f****g mad, do you know what you just typed lmao

JelT5
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 16:46
are you f****g mad, do you know what you just typed lmao

Yes mate, anyone can make a typo lol

mhill53
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 18:37
do you have any picks of the pilllar pod fitted

Giles
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 18:54
ok - so does the red go to a pink and the black to any other black?

p fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 19:06
depends if the pink is positive or negative switching which i can't remember

p fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 19:11
do you have any picks of the pilllar pod fitted

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/mine/BT/Interior/interior3.jpg
Race-X universal pod

Giles
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 19:17
bet that does your head in at night?

Giles
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 19:17
depends if the pink is positive or negative switching which i can't remember

ok - be nice to know which lol

t5 pete
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 19:19
ok - be nice to know which lol

When i fitted myne i just found a switched live under the dash for the red wire and the black to earth

p fandango
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 20:18
i would go & test it for you, but i've got nothing that lights up any more lol

Vikingxl
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 21:10
its simple you dont need to splice into anything just pull the headlight switch out and push the cables into the back of the switch i just tried the cables in the holes until it lit up and that was that again i would go nd look at mine but i dont have one anymore. Someone on here must be able to post a piccy of the back of the headlight switch with boost gauge cables wired in

Vikingxl
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 21:24
Just dug through all my photos and i dont have anything sorry

Giles
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 16:05
its simple you dont need to splice into anything just pull the headlight switch out and push the cables into the back of the switch

Think that's the best idea.......just pull the switch and attach it to the back.....job done.....?

Giles
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 21:21
It works !!!!! Thanks VikingXL

For anyone else, you need to connect one wire to the purple (RH side wire) and other to the black (LH side)........not completely installed yet as my pillar mount appears to be coming from Jupiter .....

There was some excitement as i turned the screw on the front of the switch (thinking it undid the switch) which appeared to alter when the running lights come on.....thanks to Lance for putting me right on this ;) thought i had short-circuited something lol .... all ok now ......

Vikingxl
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 21:25
Nice one and now it will be easier for anyone else maybe you should post the piccys in the how to section

Giles
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 21:58
This is slightly better....taken from facebook as i dont know how to do a step by step on here....

Giles
Thursday 7th April 2011, 21:53
One chav gauge installed ...... may not be the neatest of installations, but it works ! looks worse in the dark under the flash than normal......

t5 pete
Thursday 7th April 2011, 22:03
looks good giles ive just made a custom fit one to my pillar theres just a couple of hours work left in it then need to find some matt paint to match the charcole trim