PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running LPG on their S/V70 R.

Quicksilver
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 17:23
With the rising cost of fuel I'm considering alternatives, one option is to convert the R to LPG. So what sort of mpg can I expect?, what loss of performance?, any problems people have encountered, I have a fairly local garage that supplies LPG.

Any info appreciated.

abdul
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 17:28
i have a v70 t5 1997 on lpg done about 6 years ago its done 35k on lpg with no problem u lose about 5 to 10 % power which is not a lot just make sure its done by a good company and not a back street garage

abdul
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 17:33
regarding mpg if u get 20 mpg on petrol u will get about 35 on lpg depending on price maybe even 30 depending on price of lpg where u are

nobananas
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 19:00
I'm considering fitting an LPG system DIY if I can find a decent R. Apparently you can get more power from a turbo on LPG (something about the cooling effect on the charge outweighing the lower calorific value of the fuel or something like that !) but the system has to be set up very carefully on a dyno and designed as a 'gas only' system which isn't as practical for a road vehicle.

Quicksilver
Monday 4th April 2011, 18:12
I'm considering fitting an LPG system DIY if I can find a decent R. Apparently you can get more power from a turbo on LPG (something about the cooling effect on the charge outweighing the lower calorific value of the fuel or something like that !) but the system has to be set up very carefully on a dyno and designed as a 'gas only' system which isn't as practical for a road vehicle.

Ahh that sounds like a problem, I was thinking of buying a car with the kit fitted and change it over, there's a V70 2.4 with a multi point system fitted going for £1500 on E-Bay at the moment.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 4th April 2011, 20:17
bin running 850 t5 for over 3 year and it cost £1500 fitted brand new

Volvostorm
Monday 4th April 2011, 20:29
Had mine running on LPG for the last 2 years now, will be again once the engine is run back in

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 4th April 2011, 22:44
Christine our V70 T5 used to run LPG but the local cowboy Volvo agents in Taunton said it was the cause of the many problems we had, and took it off. We found out that is was the ETM, but they never reconnected the LPG. :grumpy:

We were getting good mileage out of it but we did lose around 10% when we put the boot down.

I will have to get it all refitted when I have the money.

Quicksilver
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 19:23
Thanks guys, so what average MPG are you getting with LPG? and will I need to take the RICA ecu off?.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 5th April 2011, 19:50
Thanks guys, so what average MPG are you getting with LPG? and will I need to take the RICA ecu off?.

Umm, probably 20 odd mpg, I never really bothered checking, it did Portsmouth to Shrewsbury on £25, thats about 220miles.

Mine isn't chipped, but it was suggested that it will help, as LPG is higher octane, the more ignition advance would help it.

On my kit, its the cars ecu that 'controls' the lpg ecu

mk3phill
Saturday 16th April 2011, 08:13
we have it too on our V70R,. good mileage around town and great on long distance! just find a small problem with it. when kickdown on lpg its like the lpg system cant react quick enough to the sudden demand of fuel needed to accel and car hessitates/jerks violently for a couple seconds then takes off.

can anyone shed some insight? kit is a omvl dream XXI-N

Volvostorm
Saturday 16th April 2011, 10:53
When was it last serviced? LPG S.I kits like to have clean filters.

Nealevo
Saturday 16th April 2011, 14:15
HI, I run my 850R on LPG just make sure you get a sequencing system otherwise it will starve the turbo and BOOOOOM but ive had no problems and done about 10k and its only 54p a litre
if you get 27mpg on petrol so it works out to 65mpg on gas (price comparison) and it cost me £1450 for the conversion took 4 days thou

mk3phill
Saturday 16th April 2011, 20:56
kit hasnt been serviced yet, been on car for just on 6months now

Volvostorm
Saturday 16th April 2011, 21:04
Take it back, the fitters can re-tune it.

Jimcoted
Thursday 28th April 2011, 17:17
we have it too on our V70R,. good mileage around town and great on long distance! just find a small problem with it. when kickdown on lpg its like the lpg system cant react quick enough to the sudden demand of fuel needed to accel and car hessitates/jerks violently for a couple seconds then takes off.

can anyone shed some insight? kit is a omvl dream XXI-N

I have the same system on my one with the same problem in fact if I want to gun it I switch to petrol for the initial boost and then back to LPG like when some young woman in a Range Rover decided that she would come up in the wrong lane alongside this disgusting unwashed shed and easily blast across the front and take that lane as the lights changed. Wrong!!!!!!!!! I had her blasting her hooter and flashing her lights as she was forced to take the exit slip due to lack of road.

Bernie Lovegrove genius LPG fitter said my vapouriser was too small and feed fuel line too for a turbo car. Plus tuning is critical. I will be getting this rectified but could well be your problem too.