PDA

View Full Version : Washed & polished 850R manual

Giles
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 23:56
Great day. While I wait for my gearbox to be put in (sourced an M59 and got Volvo to fit it for £270), I decided to clean and polish it.

Also, done the rear boot struts at last (thanks T5Pete they work a treat :) ) and sorted the boot plastic that had come loose. Also had a chance to run a braided rubber hose down the pillar ready for my boost gauge.

Feel a bit better now it's coming together.

LiamT4
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:04
Looks excellent, i forget how good volans look on the 850's.

Giles
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:08
Cheers Liam.

i had the codes read yesterday too and it came back with 'breather pipe slightly blocked' (if the OBDII has a word in it's memory called 'slightly' lol) ... basically, the volvo guy told me that's why my fuel consumption was so bad.......i am getting 26.3mpg average and i thought that was bloody good! what's he expecting? 45mpg lol?

kee1173
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:09
looking good mate...always makes you feel better when getting things done.....Had my V70R off road all week Refurbing the badly peeling alloys then sods law get to last one and the locking nut rounds off so cant get it off now, which is a pain as i have also painted the calipers on the other 3...so fitted strut brace, polybush mount and did vac hoses again sods law the vac hose i need to replace goes to underneath the turbo at the back, the only one i cant get to, also fitting the strut brace i snap 1 of the bolts on the top mount and to top it all she wont start as battery has just died....but like yours she is now shiny ....lol...just thought i would post this so you did nt feel you was the only one have probs....lol drive you bloody mad these ***kin cars

stu_850t5
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:11
looks smart mate! needs V70 rear lights and a clio rear wiper........

Giles
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:12
the vac hose i need to replace goes to underneath the turbo at the back, the only one i cant get to

I found this one a pain too......had to remove most of the engine to get to it lol.....left a jubilee clip hanging off it as 'good measure' but decided I have to do it properly. Of course to smithy it's a piece of piss lol......'just bang it on with a ratchet'.......got there eventually with it......

Giles
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:13
looks smart mate! needs V70 rear lights and a clio rear wiper........

do these fit straight on then? My wiper stopped working last week....sods law.....

kee1173
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:27
yep its the only one i have thats really bad ...goes from the Maf sensor air duct down into ... well i dont know really..lol just seems to go near the trubo some where but as you say looks like i have to get half the engine out and to be honest was nt in the mood for that as had a few other jobs donig and could see this one been one of them regret starting jobs...especially just after battling with the polybush mount...lol

LiamT4
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:30
Cheers Liam.

i had the codes read yesterday too and it came back with 'breather pipe slightly blocked' (if the OBDII has a word in it's memory called 'slightly' lol) ... basically, the volvo guy told me that's why my fuel consumption was so bad.......i am getting 26.3mpg average and i thought that was bloody good! what's he expecting? 45mpg lol?

26.3 is pretty good, i'm getting 22.5 at the min, although autos are worse on fuel.
He does know what mpg R's usually get, doesn't he?lol

kee1173
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:37
i am to scared to look at what im getting....i am thinking 30 mpg...not that this is what it does just makes me feel good and who can argue if i dont check ..lol

Giles
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:37
well the reader said otherwise....be nice to have 300bhp and 60mpg lol......to get that, i'd have to get a BMW 335D ;)

kee1173
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 00:46
just tell yourself thats what it does.....never check it or listen to other people, works for me....lol

stu_850t5
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 01:01
V70 lights bolt straight on with no modifications. and so does the clio wiper arm (although changing the arm wont solve the problem lol just looks loads better)
come to think of it i have a clio arm in my shed...........

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/tara_nta/CARS/estates4.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s147/tara_nta/CARS/pod6.jpg

can just make the wiper out in these pics.......

stu

p fandango
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 01:11
looking very nice, never seen the attraction in cleaning a car myself lol. Sounds like you got a bargain with Volvo fitting the box for that price

good to see someone found something of use with a Clio, even if it is only robbing the wiper lol

siamblue
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 01:37
do these fit straight on then? My wiper stopped working last week....sods law.....I have pm'ed you about the rear lights i have £40 for the full set.

Gary

si850r
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 10:43
looking good mate...just sort out those grey looking bumpers....lol

Giles
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 10:48
looking good mate...just sort out those grey looking bumpers....lol

I have never been able to successfully remove the grey on bumpers.....all the sprays and tins i have tried dont work or work for 2 days....anyone got a good tip on what to use?

I have also in the past tried a hot air gun and this didn't give lasting results either.....

steve855
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 11:02
black liquid boot polish ,last for ages and look's good too

stevie69
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 11:25
ground nut oil from asda...give it a go..

t5 pete
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 11:25
looks brilliant giles and the best colour aswell just like myne lol

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/DSC00357-1-1.jpg

si850r
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 12:36
black liquid boot polish ,last for ages and look's good too

thats what i was gonna suggest...i did mine weeks ago and there still black mate.. use boot polish then spray back to black or similar when dry...it looks ,mint

AndysR
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 22:21
Looking good, lovely colour when clean :)

lance
Monday 4th April 2011, 09:14
Its looking stunning

Jimmie
Monday 4th April 2011, 10:28
Looking good it has transformed it no end.
Its great what a bit of spit and polish can do!

Flatout Phil
Monday 4th April 2011, 13:57
I have never been able to successfully remove the grey on bumpers.....all the sprays and tins i have tried dont work or work for 2 days....anyone got a good tip on what to use?

I have also in the past tried a hot air gun and this didn't give lasting results either.....

They are SUPPOSED to be grey. Look at mine:
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/charliepippin/janmarch%202011/JanMar2011125.jpg
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/charliepippin/janmarch%202011/JanMar2011128.jpghttp://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy193/charliepippin/janmarch%202011/JanMar2011126.jpg

And here is a variety pack of Red Rs http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=834&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=VOLVO+850+R+RED&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Wurth do a grey colourised paint - which is what has been used here. Black is INCORRECT on an R.

AND YES, IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TITANS AND I DO HAVE A SET OF VOLANS! ;)

Giles
Monday 4th April 2011, 21:39
thats what i was gonna suggest...i did mine weeks ago and there still black mate.. use boot polish then spray back to black or similar when dry...it looks ,mint

Did this tonight seeing as I had a bit of free time ;) look good so far...time will tell.....had to hide the children's shoe polish (albeit most of it gone lol) in the shed.......

Jim S70R
Monday 4th April 2011, 21:52
Very nice indeed