PDA

View Full Version : handbrake cable

volvo340sleeper
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 17:23
my handbrake has just gone on my s70, i have to pull it right up to stop car rolling, how easy is it to fix and how much will it cost guys

Tomcat
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 19:33
Just replaced a handbrake cable on my 850 (there's two), cost me £20 and took a morning to replace. It's not a totaly hard job but it is fiddly. That said, if you look in the centre console there's a small lift up flap inside, beneath that is an alan bolt, if you wind it in it will take the slack out of the cable.

nobananas
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 20:37
my handbrake has just gone on my s70, i have to pull it right up to stop car rolling, how easy is it to fix and how much will it cost guys

Are you sure the cable(s) have gone, did it happen all of a sudden. The handbrake travel will increase as the cables stretch and as the shoes wear and to adjust the handbrake properly you need to adjust the shoes first and then the travel on the lever.

volvo340sleeper
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 08:25
when i pull handbrake it is very slack and have to pull it all the way up,

Tomcat
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 09:13
Take the rear wheels off, rotate the discs until the small hole is just before 12 oclock and adjust the handbrake adjuster screw through it with a small screwdriver, this will take the slack out of the cables.

volvo340sleeper
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 17:41
tried the star bolt in the little flap and tightened it up but still the same going to take back wheels off and try that 2row

volvo340sleeper
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 17:42
it happened when i pulled up i just pulled handbrake and it was slacker than usual

Tomcat
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 18:00
I've just changed one of mine on the R because it had corroded it'self from the inner to the outer so wasn't working, the handbrake was really slack due to this. May be worth just looking at the state of the cables before you get too involved, if you've got any patches where the outer plastic cover has been rubbed away then it's possible you've got the same problem I had, either that or you may have snapped a cable.