PDA

View Full Version : broken down :-(

TenaciousC
Friday 1st April 2011, 18:37
Here I sit waiting for AA... you're never alone with a phone!

So everything normal, then she dies at some traffic lights.

Restart fails... dead.

Push her off into side road. Having left a few moments and try restart, she runs for 2 seconds then dies. I guess it's fuel related.

Any one got any ideas ?

C

Ps yes there is fuel on it. Filled up this morning.....

Al115
Friday 1st April 2011, 18:46
Is there pressure at the fuel rail?

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 18:57
Not diesel in there is it? (unless you have a diesel car of course)

nobananas
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:01
Could just be the fuel pump has died, I've had two die on mine almost exactly a year apart with no warning. Like Al said, check for pressure at the rail (there is a schrader type valve on the end) then go from there.

Jamest5r
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:03
Sounds like the fuel pump is on the way out, it's got enough oomph to pressurise the rail thats why it will run for a couple of seconds but not to run the car, if you take the cover off it far side of the spare wheel rh side and tap it sometimes that will work.

TenaciousC
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:16
Is there pressure at the fuel rail?

Yes but perhaps not enough. Can't hear fuel pump priming either

TenaciousC
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:17
Not diesel in there is it? (unless you have a diesel car of course)
Defo petrol just checked receipt

Volvostorm
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:21
Does sound fuel pump related, they don't tend to give a warning either, mine when 'over night' parked her up, wouldn't start the next day.

p fandango
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:21
i'd have a look at the fuel pump relay

TenaciousC
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:23
Sounds like the fuel pump is on the way out, it's got enough oomph to pressurise the rail thats why it will run for a couple of seconds but not to run the car, if you take the cover off it far side of the spare wheel rh side and tap it sometimes that will work.

Gave it a bash a suggested. no joy. AA man had bu**ered off now have to wait an hour and a.half for a low loader! He said he wasn't allowed to tow it on his van... even with front wheels off ground. If it were a manual he could. This, I suspect, is ££££££££££.

TenaciousC
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:29
i'd have a look at the fuel pump relay

Where can it be found?

C

Volvostorm
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:32
Its under the main fuse box lid, you will have to unscrew the lid, then, if I remember right, its a pinky-red colour.

AndysR
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:35
Judging by what you've said the fuel pump relay would be my first choice then the fuel pump. The other thing that might be worth checking is the camshaft position sensor if it's neither the pump or relay.

p fandango
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:38
Its under the main fuse box lid, you will have to unscrew the lid, then, if I remember right, its a pinky-red colour.
tbh i've never had to touch the relay, but had the lid off earlier & there was no pinky-red one under there. could it be under the dash, i know there are several coloured one's under there

TenaciousC
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:44
Judging by what you've said the fuel pump relay would be my first choice then the fuel pump. The other thing that might be worth checking is the camshaft position sensor if it's neither the pump or relay.

I had the cam sensor go last September. On that occasion there was no spark at all. Here we have a spark. More recent attempts to start have produced nothing... making me think this is fuel related.

Anyway... waiting for an inevitable tow now....

Thanks everyone for your help!

C

Flatout Phil
Friday 1st April 2011, 20:18
Have you been recovered yet?

p fandango
Friday 1st April 2011, 20:23
your right about it being under the lid, but think its green LINK (http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/FusesAndCircuitBreakers.pdf)

kee1173
Friday 1st April 2011, 20:42
another one to check is the immobiliser relay, had a similar thing with my old Galaxy, tried a few things and it was the immobiliser relay cutting in when it should nt....have nt a clue tho where it is on a volvo but a common fault on the Fords.....if you have the hand book shouldtell you the Relays in there....

p fandango
Friday 1st April 2011, 20:47
if you have the hand book shouldtell you the Relays in there....
my previous post links to a pdf/diagram of all the relays

kee1173
Friday 1st April 2011, 20:58
the one link i did nt look at.....LOL glad someones on the ball.....LOL

TenaciousC
Friday 1st April 2011, 22:23
Have you been recovered yet?

Yes back safe and sound thanks!

C

TenaciousC
Monday 4th April 2011, 19:32

It was the fuel pump. Cigar to Jamest5r!!!

Once removed from car and connected to power, a tap would initiate operation. ....So time for a new one (and a new thread)!

Thanks again!

C

Volvostorm
Monday 4th April 2011, 19:42
Found the same thing with mine, it lasted 1/2 a day more.

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 4th April 2011, 22:53
It was the fuel pump. Cigar to Jamest5r!!!

Once removed from car and connected to power, a tap would initiate operation. ....So time for a new one (and a new thread)!

Thanks again!

C

There you go VPCUK remote repair and advice service strikes again. :)