PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - my 850R manual part 3

Giles
Thursday 31st March 2011, 19:27
So,

Now that i have the car and ascertained the boost problem is a split boost hose and weak actuator, I now have had the gearbox looked at.

Turns out the lay shafts need replacing and are f****d ..... any idea how big a job this is?

Volvostorm
Thursday 31st March 2011, 20:09
Gearbox out job mate.

You have a M59 box too, you might find you can use the layshafts from M56 (T5) box.

Just to give you a clue, to fit a Gripper diff to mine, cost £400, that did include a set of new bearings.

Giles
Thursday 31st March 2011, 21:27
So my car that cost me £2,000 to buy, then another £200 on boost hoses, exhaust welding, vacuum hoses, clips etc is now going to cost another £400.....great.....

Smithy is unsure it's the layshafts and is going to have a listen next week.....but, the gearbox is definately gone (still works, but somethings mashing away) and has been gone for a while........thanks for the heads-up tho

Volvostorm
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:05
In that case you don't want to know how much mine has cost, and its not even running yet!

WOODY T5
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:16
if u need a m59 mate i got one for sale

si850r
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:24
by the sounds of it smithness he needs valium....poor lad...soz i couldnt make it tonight giles.....

WOODY T5
Thursday 31st March 2011, 22:30
by the sounds of it smithness he needs valium....poor lad...soz i couldnt make it tonight giles.....ok mate

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 06:51
if u need a m59 mate i got one for sale

I assume it will be cheaper to swop them over than fix mine? What condition is it in (miles) and how much? I still need mine confirming 100% that it needs to come out, but just wanna make sure. It's deffo ££££ed and the noise is pretty bad - cant see it's anything else.......

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 06:53
by the sounds of it smithness he needs valium....poor lad...soz i couldnt make it tonight giles.....

No probs Si - when you can I am free after 1pm today til 9pm, or anytime tomorrow......sunday may be an issue as i spend most of the week 'fixing' my car so better leave it alone for mothers' day (the wife)....

JelT5
Friday 1st April 2011, 06:55
So my car that cost me £2,000 to buy, then another £200 on boost hoses, exhaust welding, vacuum hoses, clips etc is now going to cost another £400.....great.....

You have my sympathy mate; paid the same for my T5R (under a year ago) and it's done nothing but empty out my once full wallet :cry:

Hope yours doesn't end up being quite as costly as mine, which still isn't working properly :pants:

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 08:21
You have my sympathy mate; paid the same for my T5R (under a year ago) and it's done nothing but empty out my once full wallet :cry:

Hope yours doesn't end up being quite as costly as mine, which still isn't working properly :pants:

well i suppose i should be thinking of a bill around the £1,000 mark ...... £350 for the gearbox, then 10 hours labour?

But, it will be fixed, i insist on that.......seen too many cars get torn apart after something like this......

JelT5
Friday 1st April 2011, 08:25
Sincerely hope that's it for your bill mate!

I live in denial about how much has gone into mine now lol

lance
Friday 1st April 2011, 10:06
I hope you get it sorted cheaply I didnt think it was that bad but it was the first manual 850R I had driven or been in and thought the lsd box was meant to be a bit noisy compared to normal T5s. I have driven Mercs and Rover P6s with much much noisy gear boxs, maybe an oil change might soften the noise for a while

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 12:07
I hope you get it sorted cheaply I didnt think it was that bad but it was the first manual 850R I had driven or been in and thought the lsd box was meant to be a bit noisy compared to normal T5s. I have driven Mercs and Rover P6s with much much noisy gear boxs, maybe an oil change might soften the noise for a while

It still has to be confirmed yet but initially, it looks something is not right which means either replacing the parts or a new gearbox. Either way, the labour is gonna be high and the parts around the £120 - £400 mark.
Problem is, you can only hear the noise in the cabin (car) under low revs, all gears but when you thrash it, the noise is not present at all which is strange. Also cant hear it outside. My dad drove it away last night and i couldn’t hear a thing – only a nice burble from the exhaust.
I have got some mechanics welding the exhaust as I type which someone had stuffed with putty and asked them to check the engine mounts. After all, the inlet hoses were left loose.....what else may have been left loose.......this is clutching at straws tbh and suspect it’s the gearbox.
CNH Autos are having it tonight to assess it but they reckon on initial diagnosis it’s the lay shafts.......but again, smithy is unsure but then he hasn’t heard it yet.
At lights in neutral or gear with clutch depressed, no noise at all. Seems worse in 3rd, 4th doing low revs and is hardly there for 5th gear.
Put your foot an the clutch (coast) and the noise goes 99% (still a hint of it but hardly)

WOODY T5
Friday 1st April 2011, 12:54
I assume it will be cheaper to swop them over than fix mine? What condition is it in (miles) and how much? I still need mine confirming 100% that it needs to come out, but just wanna make sure. It's deffo ££££ed and the noise is pretty bad - cant see it's anything else.......pm sent

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 16:02
pm sent

Got it mate ta.....just gotta get confirmation that replacing is cheaper than fixing which will be tonight......

......hardly a cheap fix £350+labour......how many hours do garages charge for a volvo gearbox? £55 an hour+VAT I get charged........

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 16:03
It still has to be confirmed yet but initially, it looks something is not right which means either replacing the parts or a new gearbox. Either way, the labour is gonna be high and the parts around the £120 - £400 mark.
Problem is, you can only hear the noise in the cabin (car) under low revs, all gears but when you thrash it, the noise is not present at all which is strange. Also cant hear it outside. My dad drove it away last night and i couldn’t hear a thing – only a nice burble from the exhaust.
I have got some mechanics welding the exhaust as I type which someone had stuffed with putty and asked them to check the engine mounts. After all, the inlet hoses were left loose.....what else may have been left loose.......this is clutching at straws tbh and suspect it’s the gearbox.
CNH Autos are having it tonight to assess it but they reckon on initial diagnosis it’s the lay shafts.......but again, smithy is unsure but then he hasn’t heard it yet.
At lights in neutral or gear with clutch depressed, no noise at all. Seems worse in 3rd, 4th doing low revs and is hardly there for 5th gear.
Put your foot an the clutch (coast) and the noise goes 99% (still a hint of it but hardly)

right.....update.....it does still make a noise with clutch depressed....i was wrong........just doesn't sound as bad as not under load

kee1173
Friday 1st April 2011, 18:22
Had a similar prob with my Renault Traffic, mine was fine in 1st, 2nd....3rd and 4th very noisy but when driving in these gears, dip the clutch and quiet, 5th and 6th was fine....i tried Molyslip Gearbox treatment and this did quieten it down..iwould say the gearbox all in all lasted 4 months until one day it decided to seize on me in 3rd ( at 40mph) and the van acted like i slammed on the brakes almost sending me thru the window screen, was a bit dramatic......strange thing was tho for 1 week before hand the noise had gone in 3rd and 4th, i fooled myself into thinking it was a miracle van and cured itself....lol
i know how you feel tho as i had bought this van and within a week i had spent £400, then the noise in the gearbox started after 2 hrs of having, i ended up getting rid off once the box went as on the Traffics its about £1500 for a new box, clutch and if also it had done the Dual mass ( which is common on these) that would have been another £500 so cheaper to get another one.......Anyway good luck mate and hopeit isnt to costly, i also know people who have had a noisy box on a car and driven 2 years like that....but try Molyslip gearbox treatment, might be worth a shot for a while....

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 18:32
hmm.....hope it doesn't sieze on my dad....he's just taken it to pershore to CNH Autos (Volvo Independants) for the verdict.....I was gonna keep driving but if there's risk of it siezing like yours, well.....may have to get it done ASAP ....... great...... question is, cheaper to fix or replace?

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 18:41
found the same noise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZnvxwWRH9M

kee1173
Friday 1st April 2011, 18:43
Sorry mate did nt mean to worry you.....Should have said that my van was doing upto 1000 miles a week daily carrying Half aton in weight and when it was about to go it was screaming in 3rd and 4th then the last week silence but still did nt feel right.....More i knew it was about to go but kept using it....on the way home on the night before i could nt get 3rd at all....then i went out the next morning forced it into 3rd thats when it went..so i knew it was gone i just pushed it to its limits plus Traffics are known for this problem, as my mate said at the garage other cars can go like this for years but renaults once they start they go within 6 months...so very different cars....just was trying to say if not to bad try the molyslip as worked in mine for a while but being a Traffic it was nt going to solve anything, but on other cars it might...but my work vans do get a bused with mileage and weight so if a gearbox is going in my vans they wont last long.....

lance
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:10
Has it progressively got noiser I dont remember it that bad. I feel awful for selling you this motor for so much but as you know I didnt make any money and I didnt intend to pass on with so many problems.

If I hadnt had so much bad luck myself with cars over the last 4 months I would help you out, I might still make a small donation to the Giles Gearbox fund though.

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 19:42
Has it progressively got noiser I dont remember it that bad. I feel awful for selling you this motor for so much but as you know I didnt make any money and I didnt intend to pass on with so many problems.

If I hadnt had so much bad luck myself with cars over the last 4 months I would help you out, I might still make a small donation to the Giles Gearbox fund though.

Lance - no need......this is awkward as it goes about the 'friends and family' saying.....no one wants to screw anyone over, especially on a Volvo forum all about all of us loving these cars and being in the Volvo community....and i dont want lance cast out because of this....i know he feels bad as we have been speaking on and off.

Just bad luck - I aint had the verdict yet (20 mins or so) could be an engine mount! Which ones did DPA do? Reason i ask is that i had it on the ramp today to weld the exhaust, and none of the ones underneath (2?) have been done and are both fairly old.

I feel bad coming on here slagging the car off knowing you will see it......makes me think like I am saying 'what a piece of ****e I have been sold'. And unfortunately that's how it comes across because of the nature of forum help/questions etc.....

I dont think it's got worse as I had the stereo on most of the time and didn't really notice until I started to listen etc

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 20:04
OK - verdicts in......

Main bearing in the gearbox has gone.

Been advised not to drive it.......gotta source an M59 but the mechanic is getting back with a cost for sourcing and replacing for me......but we're looking at a grand i reckon?

si850r
Friday 1st April 2011, 21:20
No probs Si - when you can I am free after 1pm today til 9pm, or anytime tomorrow......sunday may be an issue as i spend most of the week 'fixing' my car so better leave it alone for mothers' day (the wife)....

no probs mate....hows about monday? Same here with mothers day and all that...

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 21:27
no probs mate....hows about monday? Same here with mothers day and all that...

monday is fine, but after 6pm if ok?

hey - i have a manual gearbox you can have ;) free of charge.......just needs a £600 recon job doing on it........

Giles
Friday 1st April 2011, 22:57
Well, i have sourced a box and possibly fitting for slightly less than what i was expecting to pay so i am almost happy. Anyone know the book time for a Volvo 850 gearbox change in hours?

If the main bearing in mine has gone, i plan to have it fixed and then sell my 'old' box to try to recover some of the money. Anyone know how much it would be to replace the part if it is the main bearing (whatever this may be).......

Giles
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 21:07
hmm.....i have been quoted 6 hours labour by 3 companies......maybe i should get the Subaru team to do mine? What does 5 minutes equate to in labour lol?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxS2XLJqp7M