PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 lpt conversion

mdsparky
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 19:19
I have a v70 2.4lpt p2 on an 02 plate it currently has a weedy little turbocharger producing about as much puff as a drunk blowing into a breathelizer. To be honest I NEED MORE BOOST. I would like some serious advice about mods.
Currently i have gt a nice stainless that makes it sound the bo**ocks at the back but i cant hear the turbo spool and i want that a lot and understand that they have a recirc dump urhh:pants:. I have experience at rebuilding engines and has modded many other cars but the volvo is a new one.
Can i just get a remap and slap on a larger turbo or will i need to upgrade any engine internals?
If i remap only does anyone have experience of the sort of performance that can be obtained in this way?
......................... so many questions
Look forward to your help guys

LiamT4
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 20:36
Although a re-map will give it a noticable difference, at the end of the day it only has small turbo so won't have that much to give and you'll probably just want more.
Simplist thing would be to sell it and get a t5 but if you are good with engines and can find a good place to map it then you could fit a bigger turbo, injectors, fmic, etc and the engine should be ok as its fairly strong.

How much power do you want?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 21:21
As Liam says, get a remap to begin with as the LPT engine only boosts to 6psi, with a good remap you'll see some more top end power (as the standard map will reduce boost after about 5000rpm) whilst still retaining the low end pull due to the smaller turbo spoolup (or something like that)

t5_monkey
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 21:49
Mine has a small turbo, but with an FMIC, 3" downpipe and sports cat, remap etc...

... you end up with something that in the real world is pretty damn fast, virtually no lag, and big shove right through the rev range (up till 5k at least, mine still pulls cleanly to 6k even with the little turbo.)

Get a remap, 3" downpipe and FMIC before a big turbo, you'll need all of things to get the most out of a big turbo anyways... you can always do that later.

pick rica or MTE for your remap so you can go custom later.

PS... you wouldn't want to go over 300bhp on the LPT block anyways, it's higher compression.

LiamT4
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 23:04
Mine has a small turbo, but with an FMIC, 3" downpipe and sports cat, remap etc...

... you end up with something that in the real world is pretty damn fast, virtually no lag, and big shove right through the rev range (up till 5k at least, mine still pulls cleanly to 6k even with the little turbo.)

Get a remap, 3" downpipe and FMIC before a big turbo, you'll need all of things to get the most out of a big turbo anyways... you can always do that later.

pick rica or MTE for your remap so you can go custom later.

PS... you wouldn't want to go over 300bhp on the LPT block anyways, it's higher compression.

Well done, i forgot about that.

mdsparky
Thursday 31st March 2011, 19:48
Thanks for the replies. any-one got any recomendations with regards to where i ca get a FMIC and downpipe. I've not seen a downpipe on sale for this model??

LiamT4
Thursday 31st March 2011, 20:40
Try searching for custom exhaust places in your town/city on google, most good places will be able to do you a 3" downpipe.

Jaseb77
Monday 11th April 2011, 11:08
My mate has a RICA'd S60 2.4T. (on my recommendation)

It did make a good difference, and on a RR made 240bhp (yes their subjective)

Spools up nicely and has much better shove now.

Its a start !