PDA

View Full Version : my car part 2

si850r
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 19:39
Evenin all

I ve uploaded a clip from under the bonnet. The clinking noise you can hear(it doesnt come across too well) is the car misfiring.

I have now took the airbox off to check the brake vac hose for any leaks (as the brakes still feel hard to push the pedal down.) and I cant see or feel any. I am now seriously thinking the misfire could be the plugs? although they looked ok could they still be knackered? When checking them after I cleaned them(wire brushed) I started the car and pulled them 1 by 1 to see if there was a spark, all 5 to me seemed good tho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVgsPqYGns

p fandango
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 19:47
afraid i can't say i've ever heard of one misfiring before mate so afraid i've got no idea

silverswedemachine
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 20:10
I mite sound like a rite tit with this but, on your other video you can see that there aint a deal of fuel in the car, it says 30 miles for the tank range, thats a gallon at most... I would treat her to 20 quids worth of shells finest, you mite hav some dodgy fuel that has gone off...

si850r
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 20:15
I mite sound like a rite tit with this but, on your other video you can see that there aint a deal of fuel in the car, it says 30 miles for the tank range, thats a gallon at most... I would treat her to 20 quids worth of shells finest, you mite hav some dodgy fuel that has gone off...

I put half a tank in today mate and its still doing it..

leet5r
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 21:01
sounds like a fubared lifter or something

silverswedemachine
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 21:18
Sounds like all the easier stuff has been checked now so onto more involved stuff... I would check the cam sensor on the exhaust side, make sure it aint full of oil... After that comes the valve timing, it might have moved but its summat that needs ruling out... Whatever is wrong, its certainly makin you work for it...

si850r
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 21:35
it wasn t running as bad before I changed the intake manifold gasket ( certainly wasnt backfiring) ....

nobananas
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 21:51
Any chance at all that something fell into the inlet port when you pulled the manifold ?. Have heard very similar noises before on a customers motor which we thought was a misfire, I ended up pulling the head, a split pin had somehow entered the engine and had been having a ride on the piston top leaving split pin shaped marks all over the underside of the combustion chamber and top of the piston as well as knackering a valve in the process !

si850r
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 22:01
Any chance at all that something fell into the inlet port when you pulled the manifold ?. Have heard very similar noises before on a customers motor which we thought was a misfire, I ended up pulling the head, a split pin had somehow entered the engine and had been having a ride on the piston top leaving split pin shaped marks all over the underside of the combustion chamber and top of the piston as well as knackering a valve in the process !

nah mate, i was extremely careful of what I was doing when I changed every thing ( im a bit anal with things like that...must be my age creeping up on me )

si850r
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 22:02
i have ordered some new plugs just to see if they make any difference i am also going to order a new dizzy cap and rotor arm cause I dont know when these where changed last.

t5 pete
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 22:04
Was that you making the loud knocking noise or was it coming from the engine

si850r
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 22:07
thats the misfire mate...it sounds like it is coming from the intake manifold area...its a tin'y kind of sound when it pops.

smithy
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 11:44
it sounds like a airleak from the gasket on the manifold mate it is not missing or nothing like that and it is not your plugs,i would take the manifold off and fit a new gasket and do the job again

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 15:55
Have you taken the plug leads off recently?

si850r
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 18:09
Have you taken the plug leads off recently?

yeah took the leads off, cleaned the sparks to be honest the plugs didnt look that bad, they were changed about 8000 miles ago apparently . Had the engine running and took each 1 out at a time and there was sparks coming off them.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 18:13
yeah took the leads off, cleaned the sparks to be honest the plugs didnt look that bad, they were changed about 8000 miles ago apparently . Had the engine running and took each 1 out at a time and there was sparks coming off them.
Sorry, I meant have you taken them all off the distributor cap recently? Just thinking that they could be in the wrong order.

si850r
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 18:47
Sorry, I meant have you taken them all off the distributor cap recently? Just thinking that they could be in the wrong order.

nah mate i havnt touched the dizzy cap..

si850r
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 19:23
i ve just had a look at the dizzy and the leads going to each plug and they are all good (just checking that they where on the correct plug)