PDA

View Full Version : just changed intake gasket

si850r
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:10
Hi all, I ve just changed the intake gasket and put everything back together. The car is idling terrible now,it permanently wants to stall and it has thrown a light up on the dash (the one on the bottom left side, looks like a bulb with wavy lines in it).
I ve cleaned the idle control valve, the maf is working correctly the only thing i havnt checked yet is the sparkplugs.. If I disconnected one injector at a time would there be a difference in tick over?

cheers again

Jamest5r
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:31
Have you caught the little clip that holds the pcv pipe when you bolted it back on(right hand corner as you look from front) happens to the best of us lol.

You can check by getting some wd40 and spraying around that area to see if there is a small air leak.

si850r
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:36
i double checked every thing when i put it back together and as far as I could see there was nothing wrong.. Its worse now than before I changed the gasket.. Would the ecu need time to adjust? (the reason the gasket was changed was the wrong one was put on by a garage and was leaking air, this is now sorted and no air leaking...)

Jamest5r
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:44
Catching the edge of the clip is very easy to do mate its happened to many people including myself, to eliminate this as i said before is to spray some wd40 in the area and if the revs rise ie go steady thats the problem.

Edit..bottom right hand corner underneath first inlet.

p fandango
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:44
Would the ecu need time to adjust? (the reason the gasket was changed was the wrong one was put on by a garage and was leaking air, this is now sorted and no air leaking...)
yeh, as far as it knows you've still got the air leak so its trying to compensate. Take the ecu out or disconnect the battery & leave overnight, even then tomorrow when you reconnect it the ecu will need to learn the engine charactists but will start from default map which should be better than how it is now

nobananas
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:47
If you unplug an injector you will effectively shut down that cylinder so you should get a drop in rpm and the engine will misfire. Do each one in turn and judge by ear if the rpm drop and misfire is the same for each cylinder. Still sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere although I wouldn't think that would throw a MIL that quickly ?

si850r
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:49
yeah, i ve unplugged the battery and gonna leave it over night, that was the right gasket pedro...cheers mate...

si850r
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:50
If you unplug an injector you will effectively shut down that cylinder so you should get a drop in rpm and the engine will misfire. Do each one in turn and judge by ear if the rpm drop and misfire is the same for each cylinder. Still sounds like you may have an air leak somewhere although I wouldn't think that would throw a MIL that quickly ?

im being dumb here....whats a mil?

p fandango
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:57
yeah, i ve unplugged the battery and gonna leave it over night, that was the right gasket pedro...cheers mate...
no problem sir, silly question but was the gasket they'd fitted an ME7 one?

nobananas
Friday 25th March 2011, 20:01
im being dumb here....whats a mil?

Malfunction Indicator Lamp, management light, pain in the ar$e light, whatever you want to call it !

si850r
Friday 25th March 2011, 20:02
it was the right gasket i think but you know the right hand side where we saw alot sticking up.......It was sticking up cause it was torn. ie. It was just put on badly.(sorry VERY badly)