PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Turn in

TenaciousC
Friday 25th March 2011, 18:46
Hi

This has been going for a while now, and getting worse I think. I would like to know what people think might be causing it.

If you could imagine going round a sweeping curve on a motorway juntion for example at high speed. If the curve goes right, everything is normal. The car turns in consistently and beds down.

If the curve goes left, things are different.... After a certain point (I guess after a certain amount of weight has been transfered to the right wheel. the turn in rate increases alarmingly. Correcting can cause a fish tailing shimmy to occur which is bad news.

The shocks are new, and the lower arm bushes are powerflex poly propolene. The car has also been laser tracked recently and just passed MOT.

So my thoughts are bottom ball joint (RHS) or something with the antiroll bar.

Opinions encouraged :-)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

C

nobananas
Friday 25th March 2011, 18:52
Sorry hit the thank button by mistake !. Mine does a similar thing, I'm thinking the problem lies with the rear end rather than the front. The 850's have 'passive' rear wheel steering which is basically flexibility in the delta arm outer bushes. Most 850's rear bushes are probably knackered by now, I know mine are pretty ropey which is probably why the back end gets a bit floaty on sweeping bends. If your bushes are ok it might be worth checking all other suspension/steering joints and bushes and then getting a 4 wheel alignment and camber check done.

t5_monkey
Friday 25th March 2011, 19:15
I had a dodgy right rear damper which gave similar responses as described in sweeping fast left turns.

TenaciousC
Friday 25th March 2011, 20:12
Thanks guys, the rear suspension never even entered my mind. The rear shocks are nivomatic. Is there a way finding out if one has failed without removing them?

Cheers

C

T5frankie
Friday 25th March 2011, 21:08
Mine done exactly the same it was a bent front drop link on the osf

TenaciousC
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 21:44
This problem has been much improved by replacing the rear offside tyre. The original was an old Talon which was probably mis-shapen in profile. I had to replace as I noticed the inner side wall had completely split.

Talon really are ££££e tyres - if you value your life avoid them at all costs ;-)

C

Volvostorm
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 22:30
Sound a bit dodgy just by the name! :P

TenaciousC
Thursday 28th April 2011, 09:07
They are Chinese and lurk at the budget end of the spectrum. They came with the wheels I bought, and this was the last to be replaced with something a little more up to the job.

C