PDA

View Full Version : turbo change

T5frankie
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 15:51
ok what ancilleries are needed for a turbo change i'e seals and gaskets and fluids

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 16:28
Just the o ring and gasket for the oil rtn pipe and a metal gasket for the where you mount the turbo(these only came on the 70 but can use them on 850's)

smithy
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 17:38
Just the o ring and gasket for the oil rtn pipe and a metal gasket for the where you mount the turbo(these only came on the 70 but can use them on 850's)

what car is it for the 850 mate so your misses can beat you on the strip lol

T5frankie
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 17:40
what car is it for the 850 mate so your misses can beat you on the strip lol

im gonna put the 19t on my v70r and the 18t on my t5-r

smithy
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 17:53
im gonna put the 19t on my v70r and the 18t on my t5-r

get the map that james had on his car for the 18t off hamish and run it at 1.3 bar then i hope your v70 is tuned well you will need it lol.you will have the james syndrome because gayles car did it in 14.6 just with a rica

T5frankie
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 17:57
get the map that james had on his car for the 18t off hamish and run it at 1.3 bar then i hope your v70 is tuned well you will need it lol.you will have the james syndrome because gayles car did it in 14.6 just with a rica

the 18t is gonna need a rebuild its the cause of my smoky engine its getting worse now quite quickly, don't thin k i can afford to bring two cars down to avon may just bring the t5-r down it will be remapped just needs a new radiator first. wasn't that map for a manual?

smithy
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 18:01
the 18t is gonna need a rebuild its the cause of my smoky engine its getting worse now quite quickly, don't thin k i can afford to bring two cars down to avon may just bring the t5-r down it will be remapped just needs a new radiator first. wasn't that map for a manual?

yes it was sorry im tired but still 14.6 rica 850 auto standard turbo too.lets see what yours does then

T5frankie
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 18:06
yes it was sorry im tired but still 14.6 rica 850 auto standard turbo too.lets see what yours does then

thats a good time especially for an auto

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 19:24
thats a good time especially for an auto

Even worse when it's your Mrs beating you by 1/2 sec.:mad:

T5frankie
Thursday 24th March 2011, 19:38
when i change the turbo what jobs would be good to get out of the way whilst its off? what about the rear main seal? whats the official name for this?

p fandango
Thursday 24th March 2011, 19:41
when i change the turbo what jobs would be good to get out of the way whilst its off? what about the rear main seal? whats the official name for this?
rear main seal is a gearbox off job. You changing the exhaust manifold?

T5frankie
Thursday 24th March 2011, 19:42
rear main seal is a gearbox off job. You changing the exhaust manifold?

yeah as soon as james sends me the me7 one, there isn't a downpipe gasket listed for turbo models on partsforvolvos just non turbos

Jamest5r
Thursday 24th March 2011, 19:49
yeah as soon as james sends me the me7 one, there isn't a downpipe gasket listed for turbo models on partsforvolvos just non turbos

As soon as i drop the sub-frame mate the mani is yours and t5pete chomping at the bit for his 18t as well lol, re the gasket they only came on the 70's not the 850's but fit the same, defo do them from Rufe as i have one lol.

Edit just reread your post it's the gasket that goes between the turbo and mani not the downpipe/turbo.

T5frankie
Thursday 24th March 2011, 19:51
As soon as i drop the sub-frame mate the mani is yours and t5pete chomping at the bit for his 18t as well lol, re the gasket they only came on the 70's not the 850's but fit the same, defo do them from Rufe as i have one lol.

How awkward is it to get the manifold off?

p fandango
Thursday 24th March 2011, 19:59
there isn't a downpipe gasket listed for turbo models on partsforvolvos just non turbos
i couldn't find it on there either. I got one from Rufe & could give you the part number if my folder wasn't the other side of the room :frown:

Jamest5r
Thursday 24th March 2011, 20:01
How awkward is it to get the manifold off?

I found it really easy mate, but ive always done it with the sub-frame on the floor, make everything easy lol.

T5frankie
Thursday 24th March 2011, 20:08
I found it really easy mate, but ive always done it with the sub-frame on the floor, make everything easy lol.

so best to do it from underneath? i only have ramps

T5frankie
Saturday 26th March 2011, 15:37
i have undone the three downpipe bolts but it will not seperate from the turbo any tips?

p fandango
Saturday 26th March 2011, 15:55
i have undone the three downpipe bolts but it will not seperate from the turbo any tips?
i would suggest a big hammer (but can i point out i haven't actually done that job myself so please not it was said in jest)

Jamest5r
Saturday 26th March 2011, 17:00
i would suggest a big hammer (but can i point out i haven't actually done that job myself so please not it was said in jest)

Big hammer/chisil/crowbar/large screw driver...ive used them all to try and seperate.

T5frankie
Saturday 26th March 2011, 17:05
Big hammer/chisil/crowbar/large screw driver...ive used them all to try and seperate.

2 studs came out but on the last only the nut came off the stud is this right?

Jamest5r
Saturday 26th March 2011, 17:13

Sometimes the nut does get "welded" to the stud but it will still seperate, they can be a right bitch though.

T5frankie
Saturday 26th March 2011, 17:28
Sometimes the nut does get "welded" to the stud but it will still seperate, they can be a right bitch though.

i'm stuck mate dunno how else to budge it would be easier if all three studs came out but one is stuck inside

p fandango
Saturday 26th March 2011, 17:31
so i was right YAY lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 26th March 2011, 18:23
i'm stuck mate dunno how else to budge it would be easier if all three studs came out but one is stuck inside

All 3 studs should still be in mate but to get them seperated i have had to get a big hammer and flat head screw driver and give it some serious abuse.

Tomcat
Saturday 26th March 2011, 18:51

Doesn't matter if the stud comes out or the nut comes off, try a little WD40 around the edge of the downpipe if it's being stubborn, leave it half an hour and then give it some abuse with your hammer/screwdriver combo again. Mine came off pretty easily but I suspect that it's been off before.

Joolz_850R
Saturday 26th March 2011, 19:42
Doesn't matter if the stud comes out or the nut comes off, try a little WD40 around the edge of the downpipe if it's being stubborn, leave it half an hour and then give it some abuse with your hammer/screwdriver combo again. Mine came off pretty easily but I suspect that it's been off before.

LOL I dont think you could get any more WD40 on that Frank after what I saw Earlier:)

T5frankie
Saturday 26th March 2011, 20:01

there aint really a crack or edge to wedge a blade into

T5frankie
Saturday 26th March 2011, 20:01
LOL I dont think you could get any more WD40 on that Frank after what I saw Earlier:)

yeah plenty more where that came from mate got another tin out after you left lol

Jamest5r
Saturday 26th March 2011, 20:15
You got to remember if your turbo has never been off its 2 bits of metal being welded together with massive heat for the last 13yrs!!!, just beat it harder lol.

si850r
Saturday 26th March 2011, 20:25
just beat it harder lol.

mmmmmmm.....we talking about removing a turbo here mate?

Jamest5r
Saturday 26th March 2011, 21:11
just beat it harder lol.

mmmmmmm.....we talking about removing a turbo here mate?

Well it is saturday night after all.

T5frankie
Monday 28th March 2011, 18:55
Well ive got the old turbo out and arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggh encountered another problem (well half caused it lol) one of the studs was spinning where the turbo bolts to the manifold and i couldn't get it out and it wouldn't tighten either so after "getting my 'ammer on it" i broke the stud inside the hole with no way of getting the broken bit out ffs this is doing my swede in now.

Jamest5r
Monday 28th March 2011, 19:17
Just take the mani off and i will get that me7 one off for you, wont be before this weekend though mate as im only getting the unit tommorrow and got to drop the sub-frame before i take anything off.

See you at avon in a 850 then?

T5frankie
Monday 28th March 2011, 19:20
Just take the mani off and i will get that me7 one off for you, wont be before this weekend though mate as im only getting the unit tommorrow and got to drop the sub-frame before i take anything off.

See you at avon in a 850 then?

the studs broke in the turbo not manifold mate, i wanted to try and bring both cars cos the 850 will be getting remapped and the v70 will have the 19t on it (well was hoping to), how hard is it to do the manifold with the turbo off?

Jamest5r
Monday 28th March 2011, 19:33
the studs broke in the turbo not manifold mate, i wanted to try and bring both cars cos the 850 will be getting remapped and the v70 will have the 19t on it (well was hoping to), how hard is it to do the manifold with the turbo off?

You can get the stud drilled out and then have to recut the thread, but if your not using the 18t for moment dont worry about it.

As always its the access to the bolts...if you have the right sockets/short extensions/spanners etc its ok to get out just 10 bolts i think, the pain is getting the gaskets on when you replace if they are single ones x5, i would highly recommend getting a single long one or you will end up throwing stuff around like me and effing alot lol. I think "sconeman" the american bloke that does the short shifter kits has just brought one out.

T5frankie
Monday 28th March 2011, 19:36
You can get the stud drilled out and then have to recut the thread, but if your not using the 18t for moment dont worry about it.

As always its the access to the bolts...if you have the right sockets/short extensions/spanners etc its ok to get out just 10 bolts i think, the pain is getting the gaskets on when you replace if they are single ones x5, i would highly recommend getting a single long one or you will end up throwing stuff around like me and effing alot lol. I think "sconeman" the american bloke that does the short shifter kits has just brought one out.

its stuck in the 19t mate lol

Tomcat
Monday 28th March 2011, 20:30
its stuck in the 19t mate lol

Oh gawd, that's the sort of thing I normally do. Get it drilled out and re tapped, easy job if you know what your doing.

p fandango
Monday 28th March 2011, 20:45
i would highly recommend getting a single long one or you will end up throwing stuff around like me and effing alot lol.
Volvo part number 8699467

JT
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 10:31
so best to do it from underneath? i only have ramps

Likewise, I only have the usual jack,axle stands etc.
whats the best way to get the car up, without using those subframe mounts
to put the stands under???

I'm trying to change the anti -roll bar, unless someone knows of an easier way?

JT

Joolz_850R
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 12:53
Frank,

I might be able to get that sorted for ya. I can pick the turbo up tonight but there is a good chance I wont get it back to you until Friday. I may be able to get it back to ya on Thursday but all depends on something I got planned for thursday. I can come over sat morning and give you a hand? Unfortunately I wont be coming on Sunday. Let me Know

smithy
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 11:49
you still messing around with this turbo

T5frankie
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 12:19
you still messing around with this turbo

Joolz has taken it to his work to get the stud drilled out

Joolz_850R
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 12:44
Stud is done and it was an absolute B*****d to get out. Th stud was as hard as hell to get at. Needed a carbide drill bit in the end. Im away from home tonight but tomorrow is cancelled so I can get it to you Thursday evening mate. If you want I can set the actuator up for you while it is here. What pressure do you want?

T5frankie
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 12:51
Stud is done and it was an absolute B*****d to get out. Th stud was as hard as hell to get at. Needed a carbide drill bit in the end. Im away from home tonight but tomorrow is cancelled so I can get it to you Thursday evening mate. If you want I can set the actuator up for you while it is here. What pressure do you want?

nice one mate really appreciate it, I think its 4.4psi. Did you get that stud in and out off?

T5frankie
Thursday 31st March 2011, 21:06
A big thank you to joolz850r who took my turbo away managed to drill the stud out and lock a new one into the turbo and brought it back at 9pm tonight, has even offered his services to help me put the new one in. top bloke

Joolz_850R
Friday 1st April 2011, 12:57
No probs mate. Im glad I can help on this occasion. Ill see ya about 8-30 in the morning :) Get the tea and biscuits going LOL

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 06:17
Ok 19t is now on put two washers on all water and oil feeds quick check and didn't see any obvious leakage, next job re-con head to fit on.

p fandango
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 07:16
Ok 19t is now on put two washers on all water and oil feeds quick check and didn't see any obvious leakage, next job re-con head to fit on.
nice one, have you drove it with the 19t or is the head already off?

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 08:13
nice one, have you drove it with the 19t or is the head already off?

CAr is ready to drive but havnt driven it yet I want to put fresh oil in first

Joolz_850R
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 12:43
Are you still blowing white smoke out the back or was that a bit of a red herring?

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 12:48
Are you still blowing white smoke out the back or was that a bit of a red herring?

yeah mate still got the white smoke :confused:

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 15:35
just took the camshafts out of the head and the corners where the shafts fit into the head broke, so i take it the heads no good now?

Joolz_850R
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 20:59
Can't picture what you mean. Does not sound good though

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th April 2011, 21:05
Can't picture what you mean. Does not sound good though

its the spare engine it's now going in the bin £360 i paid for it as well

T5frankie
Saturday 9th April 2011, 14:56
cured the water leak, now just an oil leak it seems to be coming from the oil return pipe at the top end although this is bolted up tight with a new gasket

Volvostorm
Saturday 9th April 2011, 21:24
Might have a piece of the old gasket still on there, or the flange could be slightly warped.

T5frankie
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 20:08
Might have a piece of the old gasket still on there, or the flange could be slightly warped.

cheers paul thats exactly what it was just a little of the old gasket stuck behind the new one all sorted now car is now running drip free (although not smoke free lol)