PDA

View Full Version : Air Leak?

swordy21
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 23:21
Seriously guys - getting well hacked off now. I think I have an air leak in the vac system, but can't for the life of me find it.

I get a missfire on full throttle, sometimes, boosts to 1.2 bar, then judders and bounces around 1.1 to 1.2 bar boost. You can hear a faint pshht on depressing the throttle just before the boost gague needle moves. Have checked all hoses I can see, and some do look past it but no obvious splits or holes. I did lose a cap of the vac tree, so 2 outlets are bridged with a piece of vac pipe. The only thing I can think of is - is there an elbow under the PS pump on the left hand side of the engine, cos I can't see one at all and this is where the phst sound appears to come from. If not then I think my boost gauge is leaking.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 00:05
Elbow is the most likely culprit

nikgallagher
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 08:40
...is there an elbow under the PS pump on the left hand side of the engine, cos I can't see one at all and this is where the phst sound appears to come from.

This is the vacuum elbow that goes most often mate! Lift up the (wide) coolant hose that goes to the thermostat housing and it's tucked under there on the offside of the inlet manifold. There's been loads of help posted on this before, and I think Bracer even lifted a good 'how to' from Bay 13. It's worth setting some time aside for this as it's very fiddly and frustrating. Good luck!