PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge locations.

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 20:51
Anyone got any advice as to where to locate a boost gauge?
I don't want to put it on the dash or pillar and don't really want it on an air vent either (air con is very important to me and i don't want anything blocking the cold air on a hot day! lol).

Any ideas? Would it be able to go in the glove box?

The car is definatly feeling sluggish lately (thats why i'm not putting it on pistonheads, etc and is no longer for sale, want to get the problem sorted) and i'd like it to go a bit quicker anyway, so thought that an mbc and boost gauge may help me find what the issue is.

I take it the forge unos mbc, is the one to get.

Cheers.

t5 pete
Sunday 20th March 2011, 20:56
Anyone got any advice as to where to locate a boost gauge?
I don't want to put it on the dash or pillar and don't really want it on an air vent either (air con is very important to me and i don't want anything blocking the cold air on a hot day! lol).

Any ideas? Would it be able to go in the glove box?

The car is definatly feeling sluggish lately (thats why i'm not putting it on pistonheads, etc and is no longer for sale, want to get the problem sorted) and i'd like it to go a bit quicker anyway, so thought that an mbc and boost gauge may help me find what the issue is.

I take it the forge unos mbc, is the one to get.

Cheers.

LOL it wouldnt be much good in the glove box and you have near enough eliminated any where else to put it

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:02
LOL it wouldnt be much good in the glove box and you have near enough eliminated any where else to put it

I don't want it to stand out though, if its in the glove box i could just get someone to sit in the passenger seat and tell me what its doing.

It would also stop me looking at it while i'm driving, thats how my bro crashed his 200sx, trying different boost settings and looking at the boost gauge, not paying enough attention to the road. :dunce:

p fandango
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:11
you can blank off the glovebox quite easily & as you say put it in there, i did that for some of BT's controls

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy196/pedro-fandango/Volvo/BT/Interior/36962_1471141414427_1110365021_1367487_7605222_n.j pg

T5frankie
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:22
for sale not for sale for sale not for sale for sale not for sale for sale not for sale for sale?

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:23
Looks good, but not quite what i had in mind!
I'd still like to be able to put some things in there. lol

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:25
for sale not for sale for sale not for sale for sale not for sale for sale not for sale for sale?

had you not noticed. lol
I'v been changing my mind since last summer, just ask james, smithy, duane, richard, etc! lol

kee1173
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:29
How about the lil gap below the ashtraywhere the coin holder is, depends on 1 if you use the ashtray and 2 you use the lil cubby hole below it.... about the only place left...lol
other than that take out the air bag an put it in the middle of the steering wheel ..lol

T5frankie
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:31
had you not noticed. lol
I'v been changing my mind since last summer, just ask james, smithy, duane, richard, etc! lol

look mate stop thinking about selling your car look how long my saab ownership lasted 4 weeks i think lol and what did i replace it with yes a t5-r lol you will regret it

p fandango
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:33
Looks good, but not quite what i had in mind!
I'd still like to be able to put some things in there. lol
thought thats what the footwells are for lol

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:34
Fit in the drivers headrest so your mates can sit in the back and check it out or on the parcel shelf for other road users

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:38
How about the lil gap below the ashtraywhere the coin holder is, depends on 1 if you use the ashtray and 2 you use the lil cubby hole below it.... about the only place left...lol
other than that take out the air bag an put it in the middle of the steering wheel ..lol

Thats an idea (not the steering wheel one! lol)

look mate stop thinking about selling your car look how long my saab ownership lasted 4 weeks i think lol and what did i replace it with yes a t5-r lol you will regret it

I would regret it, because i just love the way it looks and its just so comfy.
But at the same time, i'd like to get a bit more into drag racing and its not really suited to it and i don't think i can afford to run the s70r and a 300bhp+ 940 (which is what i'd like for racing).

T5frankie
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:41

But at the same time, i'd like to get a bit more into drag racing and its not really suited to it and i don't think i can afford to run the s70r and a 300bhp+ 940 (which is what i'd like for racing).

comfy? you wanna drive mine, very aggressive and bumpy

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:42

LOL!

Fit in the drivers headrest so your mates can sit in the back and check it out or on the parcel shelf for other road users

I can always trust that there will be some excellent suggestions on here!
Although, if you had car running at 30psi it would be a laugh to have a big digital readout in the rear window for everyone to see

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:44
comfy? you wanna drive mine, very aggressive and bumpy

I'm used to being in modified (datsun) 200sx's, yours won't feel so harsh compared to them!

T5frankie
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:47
why don't you just upgrade your licence? then get a manual

p fandango
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:49
I'm used to being in modified (datsun) 200sx's
bro's old one
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/1765/200sx1.jpg

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:55
LOL!

I can always trust that there will be some excellent suggestions on here!
Although, if you had car running at 30psi it would be a laugh to have a big digital readout in the rear window for everyone to see

I run 30 psi boost all day every day but then its not in a volvo maybe have a word with Al115 about the heads up display he had that might be able to give you a boost reading on the windscreen with no need for a gauge

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:57
why don't you just upgrade your licence? then get a manual

I may do that if i get a car for racing, but for everyday driving i much prefer an auto, just not suited to racing.

bro's old one

Looks like an S14 (headlights are the easiest way to tell between the s14 and s14a). Looks good, i really like those datsuns. lol

Tomcat
Sunday 20th March 2011, 21:59
Saw someone who had sunk it into the speaker grill on top of the dash, looked pretty good actualy and as long as you dont mind loosing a tweeter it's a good place.

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:01
How about attaching it to the rear view mirror somehow?

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:04
That one ST has fitted in the air vent allows the vent to still work and if you were going to fit it on the passenger side it wouldn't make much difference to your air con comfort level

p fandango
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:07
hasn't the S70 got a couple of vents on the drivers side like the 850's so still have one working anyway

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:12
That one ST has fitted in the air vent allows the vent to still work and if you were going to fit it on the passenger side it wouldn't make much difference to your air con comfort level

The mrs wouldn't be happy though. lol

hasn't the S70 got a couple of vents on the drivers side like the 850's so still have one working anyway

Unfortunatly not, it just has the one.

Some good ideas though.

p fandango
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:14
Unfortunatly not, it just has the one.
1 vent, no boost gauge. No wonder the S70 was such a flop/disapointment compared to the 850 :D lol

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:38
bro's old one

Forgot to ask, What mods did it have and what was its best 1/4mile?

p fandango
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:43
Forgot to ask, What mods did it have and what was its best 1/4mile?
his best was 14.6, got Turbo Technics Hybrid Turbo, Bleed Valve, Stainless CAT Back, De-CAT pipe, HKS Cone Filter & Samco Hoses

mate had more mods on his 200, garrett turbo, Blitz boost controller & fully lightened balanced engine (had it done after my bro blew it up at Santa pod) but lost his job just after finishing it so never got to run it on the 1/4

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1806/200sx3.jpg

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:50
Thought it would have been quicker, but i suppose if it was still running standard boost.

My bro never ran his as he has a problem with getting up before 12 on weekends, the lazy git!

p fandango
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:55
Thought it would have been quicker, but i suppose if it was still running standard boost.
it was quicker off the line because of the RWD & LSD, but couldn't match BT's midrange. It was a bit of a problem car tbh

My bro never ran his as he has a problem with getting up before 12 on weekends, the lazy git!
lucky sod, i'm always up by 4am even on days off

LiamT4
Sunday 20th March 2011, 23:02
it was quicker off the line because of the RWD & LSD, but couldn't match BT's midrange. It was a bit of a problem car tbh

lucky sod, i'm always up by 4am even on days off

His current 200 has had a few problems, not helped by the fact that people keep driving into it when its parked.

He thinks starting work at 11am is an early start.
Shame because i keep trying to get him to come to a 1/4mile.

Ed.
Monday 21st March 2011, 00:33
Got a turbosmart mbc possibly up for sale if you are interested. Good piece of kit, well engineered and accurate like the forge. Not cheap, think i paid £60, 6 months ago. £40?

Alternatively, go for an ebc and either mount under the dash or roof mount.

Ed

Santa
Monday 21st March 2011, 09:13

I thought they were for used bottles and food wrappers

smithy
Monday 21st March 2011, 10:27

you keep saying that the autos are no good for the quater mile but ive seen very fast autos on the drag strip mate,look at gayles 850 auto it pulled a 14.6 with just a remap so it can be done .ive already told you get an mbc and gauge bring the car down to me and i will set the car up and it will be quick

wegal
Monday 21st March 2011, 11:54
I want a boost gauge in mine as well but the P2 cars just dont have any where to put them, I dont like the vent mountedo ne ( no offense to those that have it) but it just looks a bit halfalds to me. The windscreen piller has issues with side airbag deployment and a dash mounted one will just wobble and look crap.

Who has the HUD ? and how does it work ?

LiamT4
Monday 21st March 2011, 17:02
you keep saying that the autos are no good for the quater mile but ive seen very fast autos on the drag strip mate,look at gayles 850 auto it pulled a 14.6 with just a remap so it can be done .ive already told you get an mbc and gauge bring the car down to me and i will set the car up and it will be quick

Well i didn't think they were, but santa20 has shown me this vid of a quick (very quick for an auto) s70 t5 auto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQRHJTNwEdA

I'm going to sign up on youtube and ask him what he's done (other than the nos) and how the box is holding up.

LiamT4
Monday 21st March 2011, 17:32
Got a turbosmart mbc possibly up for sale if you are interested. Good piece of kit, well engineered and accurate like the forge. Not cheap, think i paid £60, 6 months ago. £40?

Alternatively, go for an ebc and either mount under the dash or roof mount.

Ed

I'l let you know, i'm looking round for the best options.

smithy
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 12:40
I'l let you know, i'm looking round for the best options.

get a quality mbc and i will make your car fly mate

cherry1809
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 17:16
That auto's quick :D