PDA

View Full Version : Manual to Auto transmission Conversion!

ShaunS70T5
Sunday 20th March 2011, 16:43
I currently have a 2007 S60 T5 manual and i am thinking of having it converted to an auto/geartronic. Why? because i like autos basically.

Has anyone attempted this kind of conversion before? If so how much did it cost and what are the complications one would encounter.

I think i have a couple of thousand miles left on my clutch so it would be the ideal time to do it.

Tomcat
Sunday 20th March 2011, 17:41
I would imagine that it would fairly expensive to convert the other way, you'd need the auto box ecu, the wiring (unless it's already there), pedalbox, shifter, autobox, flexplate and torque convertor and probably a software update. Unless you can buy a cheap donar car it would be easier to sell yours and just buy an auto.

LeeT5
Sunday 20th March 2011, 18:10
it would be £1000s cheaper to just put a new clutch and flywheel (DM) in for circa £1700. Having never done it myself but know people that have done it the other way, going clutch > auto is fraut with problems. As said, ECU's for both engine and gearbox, Wiring harness, Software, Complete center console to house gear selector as manual type is not compatible etc etc. It's never going to be an easy install. I wouldn't like to even attempt it.

Good luck if you do.

v70torslanda
Monday 21st March 2011, 23:18
You're 'avin a giraffe aintcha?

From what I have learned about the AW50 transmission you'd be better off with a different brand entirely. If I get another auto the badge on the back emphatically will not be Volvo. And the trans will not be remotely related to Aisin. Over-complex and under engineered with too little oil capacity and a maintenance schedule that is, frankly, a ****ing joke. Combined with a manufacturer that thinks it is acceptable to view the transmission as a service item so that an 8 year old vehicle with shift issues can't be fixed unless you are willing to part with around 5 large.

Dr. John says: 'Just don't!'

Caution this post may be viewed as biased.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st March 2011, 23:50
If you want geartronic - which is fine, if not a little bizarre, then just sell the manual & buy one. There is plenty of choice about.

T5Rdragon
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 05:58
oooh, it's like a thread I started 3 years ago, only the other way around!!!! Simple answer, get rid and buy what you want. Faffing will likely lead you to be owning a car in pieces. Even if you did somehow do it and it worked, you'd need to get VOSA and DVLA to check/reclassify it and redo the docs, which is more cost, and then it might need to be reregistered on a Q plate, blah blah blah :)

Santa
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 09:38
Fix the car you have and sell it to buy a geartronic version of the same car. Geartronics tend to be cheaper from what I can see.

v70torslanda
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 17:34
Buy something with a ZF auto box!

dave stew
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 18:44
Audi A6 Avant, then...

v70torslanda
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 21:46
. . . with a 1.8 turbo? Not bloody likely?

That's a slug, that is.