PDA

View Full Version : smoky dipstick :(

Dave86
Saturday 19th March 2011, 15:00
Right I've got a fair amount of smoke coming out of the dipstick tube when the engines warmed up so far I've taken off all of the pcv pipework and cleaned it all out I've also replaced the oil trap and cleaned all the points where the hoses connect to the block and where it joins into the intake pipe. However after all that when i put it all back together its exactly the same. So what else could it be? probably should of replaced all the pipes but at the moment finances won't allow it. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

PHIL V70R
Saturday 19th March 2011, 16:18
is the car smoking on tick over at the back not the dip stick mate..

Dave86
Saturday 19th March 2011, 20:31
There no smoke anywhere other than out the dipstick tube mate

Dave86
Monday 21st March 2011, 08:16
Well i say i cleaned out ALL the pipes but the only one i didn't clean was the pipe with two pipes in. I cleaned the dry one that goes back to the intake tube but not the one that was full of water that goes round the back of the block near the turbo. I assume this pipe is supposed to have water in?

PHIL V70R
Monday 21st March 2011, 09:33
mine smoke 4 a bitwhen i did the turbo...changed the oil and pcv and that soeted the smoke i put 10-40 in..could have a blockt pipe..crankcase sounds poss

Dave86
Monday 21st March 2011, 20:37
right made a bit of progress discovered that the pipe with water in it is supposed to have water in it thats a start. just been back outside ran the car til it was warm and the smoke came back on idle out the dipstick tube still comes out when revved up. randomly thought to take off the oil filler cap and the amount of smoke out the dipstick tube decreased and after a while a bit of smoke started to come out from the filler vent also with the cap off there was an strange sound sort of like a wet slapping noise dnt know if this is normal although the noise was intermittant and stopped completly when the filler cap was replaced. as ive said before every pipe has been thoroughly cleaned, the oil trap has been replaced and all ports have been cleaned. dont know what else to do

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 11:18
at the front ware the pcv sits..u have a pipe that runs from the crankcase 2 the pcv did u replace this and did u stick your finger in it or any thing sharp and clean it..lol

mightywolf
Tuesday 22nd March 2011, 22:06
Is it possible one of the pipes that runs round in front of the block to the intake has snapped? They can get very very brittle when there are a bit old.

AdyT5
Wednesday 23rd March 2011, 01:22
I had same on my v70 i done the same cleaned all the pcv pipe's i then got some of this seafoam of e bay and it sorted mine no more smoke from the dipstick tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRAV5ln5cUc&feature=related

Dave86
Wednesday 23rd March 2011, 08:53
Is it possible one of the pipes that runs round in front of the block to the intake has snapped? They can get very very brittle when there are a bit old.

The long pcv pipe looks fine I've cut the insulation off it to separate the two pipes inside couldn't see any breaks

Dave86
Wednesday 23rd March 2011, 10:33
I had same on my v70 i done the same cleaned all the pcv pipe's i then got some of this seafoam of e bay and it sorted mine no more smoke from the dipstick tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRAV5ln5cUc&feature=related

Just had a look at seafoam looks like good stuff will order some this week cheers

Dave86
Friday 25th March 2011, 16:02
Bit of closure seafoam on order from ebay but not arrived yet and got impatient took the metal length of pcv pipe back out as its the only section that could have a bit of blockage and chucked everything down it ; boiling water, washing up liquid, kitchen cleaner, bleach and 'sticky stuff remover' while poking bits of wire down it before blowing it out with the compressor...... Seems to have done it sort of still a little bit of smoke coming out the dipstick but nothing like before and hopefully the seafoam will sort any last bits out.

LeeT5
Friday 25th March 2011, 20:53
I know your finances may be limited but you did yourself no favours by just cleaning them out. Chances are some are still partially blocked. £70 will get you a full PCV system all pipes and box, bolts and inlet manifold gasget. You should have done the job properly. I had exactly the same symptoms when i had my old 850 t5. Replaced the entire PCV system and did an oil change and absolutely no smoke from dipstick tube under load or at idle.

You must have missed something.

Dave86
Saturday 26th March 2011, 00:29
Will be changing it soon just needed to buy myself a bit of time lol