PDA

View Full Version : S70 T5 1999 coolant change advice (lost my haynes)

jim_from_surrey
Saturday 19th March 2011, 13:01
dunno where my haynes is (not that they're always that helpful anyway) so can anyone run through the best way to change my coolant?

got some wynns cooling system flush but i seem to remember theres a drain tap somewhere on the block, can anyone confirm this?

also, i live down south, not sure if our water is hard or not but is it worth using deionised water?

i've got some new comma coolant, is this ok to use? (bit short of wonga for the genuine volvo stuff at the mo)

anything else i should be remembering?

thanks guys, sorry for the newb-like questions!

mightywolf
Saturday 19th March 2011, 18:43
I did a coolant flush on my S70 the other weekend. There is a drain tap on the block but I don't know where it is either, so i just used the one on the bottom of the rad. I drained a bit of coolant out, added my coolant flush, went for a whizz around for about 15 mins and drained all the coolant that would come out. Then I topped up with hot water, ran the engine for 10 mins and drained again. I reapeated this step several times till the water was draining out clear.
Then filled up with new coolant, went for another 15 min drive and topped up the coolant again and job done!
Pretty easy, but time consuming. Don't know of a quicker way to do it!!

jim_from_surrey
Friday 25th March 2011, 00:52
cheers for the info, i've done as you did, think i "rinsed" it 4 times even though it was pretty clear on the second go an temp seems rock stable again now (yet to do a decent journey though), but now i have another problem! one for another thread!

Dangerous Dave
Friday 25th March 2011, 01:07
There should be two drain taps. One is on the back of the block just behind the water pump. The second drain tap is in the bottom right of the radiator, there is an access hole in the engine under-tray, you just need a deep socket to undo it.