PDA

View Full Version : Tc's new 855R project thread

Tomcat
Friday 18th March 2011, 21:38
Well being as I've bought this thing I'd better start a new thread for it. Bought it very cheaply (£550) with a very poorly engine, it's an auto and other than the engine it seems in pretty fair condition. Here's a couple of photo's...

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0143.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0144.jpg
Going to post some better pics tomorrow when I start having a proper look at it.

Jim S70R
Friday 18th March 2011, 21:43
Looking forward to your updates on this beast

Jamest5r
Friday 18th March 2011, 21:50
Welcome back to a proper car mate, well apart from the gearbox lol, you've not been the same since the t5r went.

Tomcat
Friday 18th March 2011, 21:57
Cheers, you can say that again, I would have like a manual but I don't have manual money at the moment.

Volvostorm
Friday 18th March 2011, 22:07
Looks nice TC, and you can't moan at the price :)

kee1173
Friday 18th March 2011, 22:31
Looking Good mate, think i might start a thread on my V70R, i keep asking enough questions about it, plus feeling left out with all these lil threads going ....LOL
So have you got big ideas for this or just to get it back to A1...

The Flying Moose
Friday 18th March 2011, 22:38
Nice looking motor TC and better still the price. Whenever I see a bargain R or T5-R I cant help taking a look. Worst case scenario with R's at that price you'll easily make that in parts in a worst case scenario.

Look forward to the updates and welcome back to the 855 Club!

Tomcat
Friday 18th March 2011, 22:50
Looking Good mate, think i might start a thread on my V70R, i keep asking enough questions about it, plus feeling left out with all these lil threads going ....LOL
So have you got big ideas for this or just to get it back to A1...

Plans at the moment are just to get it back to A1 and then I'll look at a manual conversion(if I don't get to like the auto,lol).

cherry1809
Saturday 19th March 2011, 00:50
I was actually suprised at how good my T5 auto was.
Just with the whole point of the R is, It should have been manual right across the board.

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 13:35
Well so far I'll be a monkey's uncle if anyone's had this friggin turbo off recently, someone's obviously started to remove it as all the pipes where marked up and a few bolts where loose(ish) however I'm buggered if I can get one of the last bolts undone (it's one of those underneath), can't get enough purchase on it to undo it and all I can get on it is a spanner... Here's hoping it is just the turbo..

Oh, also I new that the front bumper was cracked, what I didn't know was that there was a bloody big dent in the plastic bottom of the intercooler, must of been a hell of a bump to do that.

Starting to seriously wonder about this car, there was no oil at all showing on the engine but some clot's over filled the oil in the autobox, not by loads but enough that it's past the hot mark when it's stone cold, wonder when it was last serviced properly.

Jamest5r
Saturday 19th March 2011, 14:59
Ive got a 850 intercooler if you want it tc, foc.

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 16:23
Cheers James, not sure I need it though, on closer inspection it might just be me being a bit thick, the area around the bottom outlet looks lke it's pushed back but it may just be the way it's molded...

Anyone think it needs a new turbo?..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0146.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0147.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0148.jpg

The compressor wheel on the exhaust side was glues into place by old oil, I had to tap it out, the inlet wheel seems to be missing the nut and also the small piece of snapped shaft that should be attached to it....wonder where that went?.. Wrang the guy I bought it off and he wasn't best pleased as the garage he took it to charged him over £200 to check the turbo out for him, they'd not even removed it.

Car's also starting to look a little poorly now as I've ripped the front off while I repair the split in the bumper and remove the headlight wiper motors, these are going because they're not even bolted in and I prefer the car without them.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0149.jpg

Anyone got a 15G lying around that they no longer need?..

Alan M
Saturday 19th March 2011, 16:40
You may as well put a larger TD series turbo in for what a 15g is going to cost. You can just use the original Turbine housing and swap in the new CHRA unit for a good turbo. All you will need to do is really clean out the turbine housing and then use a degreaser after de coking it to see if it is damaged in anyway first.

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 17:15
Just washed it and realised that the damn windscreen's got a crack in it, right at the top behind the rear view mirror (hence why I didn't see it straight away).

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 20:33
Anyone tell me the best way of draining some oil out of the autobox, there's waaay to much in it at the moment, good job I haven't driven it yet.

Jamest5r
Saturday 19th March 2011, 20:47
Anyone tell me the best way of draining some oil out of the autobox, there's waaay to much in it at the moment, good job I haven't driven it yet.

Out of the drain plug? or syringe a little out with a tube from the fill hole.

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 21:04
Is there a drain plug on the auto?, where is it?.

Jamest5r
Saturday 19th March 2011, 21:08
Thinking about it i don't know lol, but if you undo the bolt for filling it should the level be just below this bolt hole?, only way to get it higher than this is if was filled through the revese switch on the top.

MIKESC70T5
Saturday 19th March 2011, 21:11
Well being as I've bought this thing I'd better start a new thread for it. Bought it very cheaply (£550) with a very poorly engine,

For an extra £250 you could of had this with 12 months mot and only 2 owners and saved a lot of grief. I reckon yours is going to cost a far bit more to put right.:frown:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2612730.htm

Volvostorm
Saturday 19th March 2011, 21:55
Looks like it does have a drain plug:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/service/850/AutoTransmissionServicing.pdf

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 22:03
For an extra £250 you could of had this with 12 months mot and only 2 owners and saved a lot of grief. I reckon yours is going to cost a far bit more to put right.:frown:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2612730.htm

True...but that wasn't for sale at the time I saw the other, also I'm not keen on the green ones.

leet5r
Saturday 19th March 2011, 22:34
I'm not keen on the green ones.[/QUOTE] steady lol

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 22:36
Lol, no offence intended, I'm just not particularly keen on green cars.

t5 pete
Saturday 19th March 2011, 23:12
It will get there tc ive got pleanty of spares knocking around let me know what you need either give me a ring or send me a pm

Tomcat
Saturday 19th March 2011, 23:27
Cheers Pete.

Tomcat
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:13
Well while I'm waiting for a replacement turbo I've had a go at cleaning up the interior, drivers seat was showing some wear and the alacantra was very fluffy..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0153.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0154.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0163.jpg

Applied some leather die and then sealed it, also got the electric razor out to the alacantra and carefully shaved off all the fuzzy stuff..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0156.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0157.jpg

No aftershots of the alacantra as I forgot to take them,lol...

Leather die hasn't gotten rid of all the wear but it's certainlt toned it down a lot, looking a lot better than it did. I've also done the other bits and pieces on the rest of the seats such as scratches etc, also gave the car a hoover and a quick wipe over..

Tomcat
Sunday 20th March 2011, 22:17
Engine's looking a bit sorry for itself, removed quite a bit while fault finding, dizzy cap is off because I'm going to order a new one along with a rotor arm and some plugs, plug leads look fairly new so they can stay.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0150.jpg

si850r
Monday 21st March 2011, 21:20
nice updates mate....keep it going.....

nottsgreent5
Monday 21st March 2011, 21:29
drain plug for the box is on bottom side of the box near bell housing if thats any help to you

Tomcat
Saturday 26th March 2011, 18:53
All fixed!!, replacement turbo has cured the smoking and most of the lost oil has now been pushed out of the exhaust.Cars now booked in for an mot on Monday (provided I can afford it), still got some jobs to do on it but hopefully I'll sort them by tomorrow.

Tomcat
Saturday 26th March 2011, 20:31
Got a quote the other day from Autoglass for a new windscreen(just in case they fail it on the screen), £500 bleedin quid!!, oh but because I'm an AA member I can have 30% discount so that knocks it down to around £360. Also got another quote off a local firm....£150..bit more like it...

cherry1809
Sunday 27th March 2011, 08:59
Got a quote the other day from Autoglass for a new windscreen(just in case they fail it on the screen), £500 bleedin quid!!

:rolleyes2 Taking the piss!!!

p fandango
Sunday 27th March 2011, 09:18
Got a quote the other day from Autoglass for a new windscreen(just in case they fail it on the screen), £500 bleedin quid!!, oh but because I'm an AA member I can have 30% discount so that knocks it down to around £360. Also got another quote off a local firm....£150..bit more like it...
what company was that, i've got to get a new screen?

Tomcat
Sunday 27th March 2011, 09:25
Lancashire windscreens, want their number?

p fandango
Sunday 27th March 2011, 10:53
Lancashire windscreens, want their number?
think they might be a bit to localised & not want to do a windscreen in Coventry (don't blame them lol). I'll have a phone round but might ask for it later to see if they have a franchise closer if i can't get near that price

Tomcat
Sunday 27th March 2011, 13:28
Well....crap.

All back together, cleaned it up a little and decided to double check everything was working for the Mot, then realised that the handbrake wasn't working. After some investigating I found that one side wasn't even connected to the mechanism, once re connected it's er still doing sod all. Just presuming now that the handbrake cable is knackered, going to remove the centre console later on just to make sure that the cable is actualy connected to the handbrake lever before I order a new cable and cancel the MOT(as I presume it wouldn't pass without it...even though it's an auto).

££££££££££....going to have to re tax the 960 if this thing isn't MOT'd on Monday.

Tomcat
Sunday 27th March 2011, 13:44
Mmm the plot thickens, forgot that the handbrake is two seperate cables, neither is working so er......crap.

**Edit forget that, the N/S seems to be ok (albeit a bit crap) so hopefully it's just the O/S handbrake cable that needs replacing. Centre console is out ready, going to replace the blown shifter bulb while I'm at it. Just noticed that a piece at the rear of the centre console is missing (just under the arm rest), someone's stuck a piece of soft foam over it...that's something else I need to replace.

Tomcat
Sunday 27th March 2011, 18:01
Couple of photo's..
Car now looking a little better back together...
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0172.jpg

Centre console removed..
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0173.jpg

Engine now looking a little better..
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0171.jpg

AndysR
Sunday 27th March 2011, 20:51
Oooh! A grey estate, nice one. Fingers crossed you can sort all the little niggles out and get it on the road in a cost effective manor. :)

martybelfastt5
Sunday 27th March 2011, 22:57
looking good tc get some shots up of the seat after the dye,,somthing i need myself

Tomcat
Sunday 27th March 2011, 23:02
Ok, I'll take some proper ones tomorrow for you.

Jaseb77
Monday 28th March 2011, 11:34
Well done TC on your efforts so far, good to see the progress

Tomcat
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 11:53
Fitted the new cable this morning and the handbrake is now working ok, bit worried about the amount of oil still coming out of the exhaust though, hopefully it just needs a good run as the oil level in the engine is constant, don't know how the mot will do though if it's still doing it by the time it gets there.

Engine is making an odd noise, sounds a little like a dry bearing somewhere but it's only there every couple of seconds. Might take the drive belt off just to rule out thongs like the alternator.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 19:03
Might take the drive belt off just to rule out thongs like the alternator.

Strange place to keep your underwear mate! :P

Tomcat
Tuesday 29th March 2011, 19:47
Ahhh borrocks....miss tryped it,lol.

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 10:07
Feck....Feck...Feck...etc....

Not worth MOT'ing the damn thing as it's still smoking it's head off, the exhaust system is full of oil (drilled a small hole in it this morning and drained about half a litre out of it), have a nasty feeling the Cat may also be buggered as well. Wrang a few local breakers and no ones got a second hand system, if I have to buy new I may as well wait and buy a new sports system.

smithy
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 11:46
Feck....Feck...Feck...etc....

Not worth MOT'ing the damn thing as it's still smoking it's head off, the exhaust system is full of oil (drilled a small hole in it this morning and drained about half a litre out of it), have a nasty feeling the Cat may also be buggered as well. Wrang a few local breakers and no ones got a second hand system, if I have to buy new I may as well wait and buy a new sports system.

i would also check for cracks in the head and block too or just throw another engine in

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 11:57
Fairly sure the engines ok as the oil level is constant, think it's just oil from the blown turbo( it did pass pretty much all the engines oil down the exhaust).

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 16:49
Well decided that as I've pretty much run out of time(tax is up on the 960 Friday) I'm going to have to re tax the 960 and get this ready when I can. Tried in vain to get an exhaust today, none in any breakers and I'm not paying one hundred and seventy quid for a new system as I could buy a decent sports system for just a bit more. Going to remove the exhaust this weekend and chop the suitcase out of it, hopefully the cats ok but I won't know until I get it mot'd I suppose.

t5 pete
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 18:01
Is the oil level staying full now you have replaced the turbo?
If so the cat and suit case my be full of oil why not take them off and drain the oil out of them

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 18:24
Suitcase is defo full of oil, drained a good litre out of it this morning, going to take the exhaust off this weekend, think it's gonna be knackered if the oil has soaked into the sound deadening.

AndysR
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 19:21
Bad news on the oil front, I had a similar situation when the turbo went on my Orion took ages for the oil to burn out of it. What I did was remove the rear box, luckily the RST system only has one box, and put the whole thing in the parts washer for an hour or so to break the oil down and wash it out. Then I refitted the box and drove the car for an hour or so to generate enough heat to dry the system out. It worked in as much it stopped the smoking but took a long time to stop smelling odd after a run. In the end I wrapped the exhaust to hold the heat in it when in use and that stopped the smell quickly after doing that.
If it helps I still have my old cat/downpipe section in the garage which Ive been hanging on to for that rainy day since I had the JT fitted. Im having the car mot'd shortly, next week hopefully, and provided the JT sports cat is ok for the emissions test I don't mind letting the original cat go for alot less than £170.00.. only problem is your not exactly round the corner... lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 19:50
Thanks for the offer, tbh if the cat is knackered then I'll probably buy a sports cat for it.

nobananas
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 21:59
Don't know how true this is TC but in the exhaust parts books we have at work it only shows one system, cat back, for the 850 and it's shown as fitting the saloon or estate, 2.0L, 2.5L as well as the T5's and R's. If this is true of genuine Volvo chimneys then it may widen your field looking for one from a scrappy !

t5 pete
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 22:02
Don't know how true this is TC but in the exhaust parts books we have at work it only shows one system, cat back, for the 850 and it's shown as fitting the saloon or estate, 2.0L, 2.5L as well as the T5's and R's. If this is true of genuine Volvo chimneys then it may widen your field looking for one from a scrappy !

Unfauntly thats not true the 2.5 10v and 10v deffinatly use a smaller diamiter to the t5 exhaust and i would have thought it would be the same for the 2.0ltr aswell

Tomcat
Wednesday 30th March 2011, 22:02

Cheers for that, I new that the saloon and estates where the same but I still can't get hold of one. Going to remove the exhaust this weekend and prop it up to drain, may well run it while it's off to see what it's like without it.

tattoo101
Thursday 31st March 2011, 12:22
hey tc just spotted this on the bay could be of use to you :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Catlytic-convertor-Volvo-850s-Pre-1-03-01-/110666986713?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c44434d9

t5 pete
Thursday 31st March 2011, 12:24
wont fit its for a non turbo charged car

tattoo101
Thursday 31st March 2011, 12:42
bugger thats my fault for no reading properly lol sorry dude

Flatout Phil
Thursday 31st March 2011, 13:25
Just washed it and realised that the damn windscreen's got a crack in it, right at the top behind the rear view mirror (hence why I didn't see it straight away).

Get Autoglass to resin fix it when you get the car insured (if it isn't already). Usually free (well, covered by your insurer).

Worst case scenario is £75 for a new one. The one benefit of comp cover.

Tomcat
Thursday 31st March 2011, 16:53
They won't fix this, it's from a bad stone chip but the cracks about 3-4 inches long.

Happygilmore78
Thursday 31st March 2011, 16:56
Another late reply, but looking good bud, I like flicking through a picture diary - keep up the good work :)

Tomcat
Thursday 31st March 2011, 21:36
Cheers, it's definatley an uphill battle at the moment but it's getting there.

nobananas
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 13:04
This exhaust bit is on the bay at the moment TC

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volvo-850-Rear-exhaust-T5-850R-2WD-S70-V70-Classic-/150583349782?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item230f779216

Tomcat
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 14:11
Yeah cheers, been watching that for the past 4 days, may have a bid on it.

si850r
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 18:00
i m gonna be chopping mine out but i dont know how soon mate. Is it a matter of urgency for you ? You can have it for nought when I do it.

Tomcat
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 19:15
Cheers, it's not as urgent as it was but I'd like to try and get it on the road in the next week or two if possible.

si850r
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 20:30
if i can source some pipe for mine i will try and see how quick i can turn it around..( inbetween sorting out the idling issue and brake issue...)

Tomcat
Saturday 2nd April 2011, 21:08
Ahh.. did you mean just the silencer?, tbh I'm considering just chopping it out myself, I have some 3" tubing that I bought to make an exhaust for the 960 and it keeps winking at me when I open the shed door, May try it tomorrow.

Tomcat
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 15:01
Well as previously mentioned I pulled the exhaust today and sliced the silencer off, this is now draining over a bucket as there's still loads of oil in it. Silencer has now been replaced by some straight pipe I had lying around that just happens to be exactly the right diameter,lol. Welding the pipe into place was also interesting as I couldn't find my welding mask, hence I had to spot weld while looking away, as a result it took a little time to complete. Tickover sounds quite good but you can tell it's straight through, revving it sounds good but I'm not sure how loud it would be on a motorway so I'm not sure it'll be staying like this. Car is not smoking like it was but I'm still not convinced that the cat isn't knackered, if that much oil has ocumulated in the silencer then it must have gone through the cat to get there, how much is left in the cat?.

cherry1809
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 15:22
Sounds to me like you need to give it an Italian tune up. Lol.

Tomcat
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 15:53
Sounds to me like you need to give it an Italian tune up. Lol.

I'd love to but being as it's not taxed or MOT'd I can't take it out, would definatley get pulled with my luck.

cherry1809
Sunday 3rd April 2011, 16:23
Bum :(

Tomcat
Friday 8th April 2011, 21:23
Forgot to mention that after chopping out the suitcase the other day the car has not surprisingly not been smoking as badly, still at it a little as the old cat is still on, not for long now though,lol. Does sound pretty damn good with as straight through pipe on, but not sure how quickly I'd tire of it on the motorway(I'll take a vid tomorrow if I get chance).

Tomcat
Saturday 9th April 2011, 23:05
Well I checked on the middle box I removed today as I left it draining over a bucket last weekend, this is what I found.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0196.jpg
As you can see from the pic the bucket is at least half full of oil so probably a good 2-3 litres as least, no wonder the damn thing was smoking,lol.

Here's a short vid of the sound of the exhaust with a straight through pipe from the cat back, didn't get chance to rev it as I was busy filming it at the time but you get the idea...

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/?action=view&current=IMG_0197.mp4

Volvostorm
Sunday 10th April 2011, 00:07
Sounds good to me!

leet5r
Sunday 10th April 2011, 18:24
need a few high speed runs tomcat

claymore
Sunday 10th April 2011, 18:34
That oil looks good enough to put back in the engine ;)

AndysR
Sunday 10th April 2011, 18:55
Sounds good, certainly well worth it for the cost! lol

Tomcat
Sunday 10th April 2011, 19:01
Been out doing a few odds and sod's while I wait for more funding for parts, pulled the n/s back corner trim out to try and get at a dent in the side panel just after the rear light. Sadly after a brave attempt I can't get at it as just where the panel is there is a second panel on the inside hiding the dent, I'll probably leave it stripped till next weekend and get someone out to remove the dent, looking increasingly likely that the full n/s of the car will need a repaint.

Jim S70R
Sunday 10th April 2011, 20:14
Sounds good, that's alot of oil you drained out of the box. Should bottle it up n save it lol

si850r
Tuesday 12th April 2011, 15:26
Well I checked on the middle box I removed today as I left it draining over a bucket last weekend, this is what I found.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0196.jpg
As you can see from the pic the bucket is at least half full of oil so probably a good 2-3 litres as least, no wonder the damn thing was smoking,lol.

Here's a short vid of the sound of the exhaust with a straight through pipe from the cat back, didn't get chance to rev it as I was busy filming it at the time but you get the idea...

http://s375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/?action=view&current=IMG_0197.mp4

thats sounds good to me...would be intersesting if you could take it out to see how loud it is b4 I did mine.....:parhmph:

Nealevo
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 21:24
I have a Td-04 you can have off my old Subaru impreza if that will fit. FOC just pay postage if that helps

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th April 2011, 22:12
Thanks for the offer mate but it's sorted now...hopefully anyway..

Tomcat
Saturday 16th April 2011, 23:32
Not been many developments latley due mainly to a complete lack of funding, that has temporarily been sorted though so here's a small update.

The paintwork on this car is nothing short of shocking, having had a walk around it I've noticed major paint chipping to the front bumper (looks like it's been sat behind a sand blaster for half an hour), various scratches all over, a long dent in the N/s Rear quarter, a REALLY poor paint job on the N/S passenger door along with a large rust spot (this will inevitably involve replacing this door as the rust is something I don't even want to bother trying to fix), along with various other chips, scratches etc..

As a starting point I went over the car and touched in any light scratches in the laquer with a laquer touch up, Also started to touch in the miriad of stone chips on the front bumper, it could really do with a full repaint but I just dont have the time at the moment...

Here's a couple of photo's..

First photo is the stone chips on the drivers side of the bonnet..
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0198.jpg

Second photo is the passenger side after touching in the stone chips but before rubbing down and polishing..
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0199.jpg

Third is various other stone chips further up the bonnet..
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0200.jpg

Volvostorm
Sunday 17th April 2011, 00:06
It is quite bad mate.

Good to meet up too :)

Tomcat
Sunday 17th April 2011, 00:06
Well a big thanks to T4_Al for helping me out with some parts today, managed to obtain a full exhaust system including cat, pair of tailgate struts, pair of indicators, a replacement R bumper that's not in quite as bad a condition as my own and a green pressure cap for the expansion tank. Also really enjoyed my ride out down the A49 past Oulten Park, followed an 09 Dorge Charger for a while (sounded awesome), then a convertible R8. On the way back I saw a huge convoy of Scubies along with loads of other tuned cars, was a great afternoon out..

claymore
Sunday 17th April 2011, 09:08
Well a big thanks to T4_Al for helping me out with some parts today, managed to obtain a full exhaust system including cat, pair of tailgate struts, pair of indicators, a replacement R bumper that's not in quite as bad a condition as my own and a green pressure cap for the expansion tank. Also really enjoyed my ride out down the A49 past Oulten Park, followed an 09 Dorge Charger for a while (sounded awesome), then a convertible R8. On the way back I saw a huge convoy of Scubies along with loads of other tuned cars, was a great afternoon out..

You should have popped over to see me, or i would have come up to the lockup if I'd known.

Tomcat
Sunday 17th April 2011, 09:11
Sorry, didn't realise you where so close.

K4RL
Sunday 17th April 2011, 12:41

I was at Oulton park yesterday for modified live show prob why you saw so many tuned cars

cherry1809
Sunday 17th April 2011, 15:15
Did you get any pics of the 'Suitcase' replacement pipe you did?
Will be doing the same next week when mines off road for the clutch etc.
Is it straight pipe? I've never looked :rolleyes:

Tomcat
Sunday 17th April 2011, 17:49
Haven't done yet but I'll take some when I go back out later, it's not a staight pipe though..you'll see from the pics anyway....

Volvostorm
Sunday 17th April 2011, 18:30
Get that exhaust on! You have had it 24hrs now! lol :P

Tomcat
Sunday 17th April 2011, 18:51
It's on, done finished.....even started repairing the rust on the passenger door.

Volvostorm
Sunday 17th April 2011, 19:28
Good good! Glad to see your busy! ;)

Tomcat
Sunday 17th April 2011, 19:34
Chopped the cat out of the other downpipe once I remove the old one just to see how contaminted it actualy was, didn't really look that bad the o2 sensor seemed ok as well. While I've now chopped the cat out of it I'll probably make a decat out of it (it would be rude not to now,lol).

Rust repair under way on the passenger doors.
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0201.jpg

Exhaust now fitted, had to make one out of two systems as that's all I had, still, sounds good though.

Tomcat
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 12:34
Well tried again for the MOT today, failed again, this time it passed on everything but the handbrake cable on the side I didn't change (doh!).. Car's running quite well now but it's still got this persistant rattle on the engine, had some of the tech's at the Volvo garage have a listen today and even they couldn't work out what it was, have narrowed it down to coming from the back of the engine....hopefully it's not the replacement turbo...

Also drained some oil out of the gearbox yesterday, took at least a litre and a half out of it that was over filled, hope it's not been run for long with this over fill in it..

Tomcat
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 14:02
Okay, got bored and had a play. Took the aux belt off and no difference, took the timing belt cover off and oh hello....sounds a little louder....hmmm

Being as previously this car has apparenty frozen over and blown a core plug out, I begun to wonder if it had damaged the water pump (did he try running it while frozen over?). Using the old stethescope(spelling?) method while the engine was running I put a v.long screwdriver on the water pump while the engine was running and it would seem that's where the noise is coming from!!.. Now to go buy a new water pump and I may as well replace the timing belt while I'm at it. Here's hoping that's it.......lol.

Volvostorm
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 19:42
Fingers crossed for you mate :)

Get a new set of tensioners too.

AndysR
Saturday 23rd April 2011, 21:36
Good to hear progress with the car is being made and that you have found the source of the engine rattle. As you said would be rude not to replace the timing belt and tensioners while your there.

Tomcat
Tuesday 26th April 2011, 21:22
Removed the N/s front door today as the paint on it was nothing short of shocking, laquer had begun peeling off and it was full of rust patches and sanding scratches. Haven't removed a door on one of these before but to be honest it was childsplay, getting the freshley painted door back on without mark the paint will be another thing entirely. Still got the rear door bottom half to paint yet and the replacement R bumper when I get time.

cameron
Tuesday 26th April 2011, 21:58
Slightly off topic TC but how much would it be to respray the front end of my car ( both wings, bonnet and R front bumper ) oh and the two nearside door bottoms, and the rear bumper :D

And how long to do it ?

Tomcat
Tuesday 26th April 2011, 22:05
Paint is £30 a litre (as I just found out today, it's gone up). You'd probably need a couple of litres to do that lot, plus 2 litres of clear and hardner. So probably nearly £100 just for the paint, so probably about £200 altogether mate.

cameron
Tuesday 26th April 2011, 22:07
Seems a bargain does that :B_thumb:

I'll deffo be getting that done.

How long would you need her ? and do you do a courtesy car, lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 06:45
Lmao....No, fraid no courtesy car mate. You'll have to hang on though until I've got the R on the road and I've gotten shut of the 960.

Tomcat
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 18:42
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0205.jpg

Managed to get the Front passenger door back on again today once it had been flatted and buffed (v.carefully as the paint was still soft), also managed to get the bottom half of the rear door painted as well, had to leave the rubbing strip off as the paint is still too soft to push the rubbing strip along on it.

Also managed to realign both the front and rear doors as they where miles out before and I even managed to get the sunroof to retract(wouldn't go back before), only a few jobs to do now including sorting the handbrake, changing the cam belt and water pump (which will hopefully cure the wierd noise it has whils't running).

Volvostorm
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 18:49
Looking much better now :)

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 27th April 2011, 22:26
She's coming along nicely now TC, it will be good to see her on the road and in the condition she deserves to be in.

Tomcat
Saturday 30th April 2011, 11:30
MOT'D!!!!..

Now for that damn tming belt and water pump...(at least that's what I'm hoping it is).

si850r
Saturday 30th April 2011, 12:04
MOT'D!!!!..

Now for that damn tming belt and water pump...(at least that's what I'm hoping it is).

waheey......road legal....top job mate

martybelfastt5
Saturday 30th April 2011, 12:09
getting closer tc,,

Tomcat
Sunday 1st May 2011, 16:29
Yaaaay!...Sort of..

Removed the timing belt today..(God I hate doing these), also removed the water pump (what a bloody job they are!), thankfully found (I think) that the impeller on the back of the pump is just spinning freely on the shaft now, tempted to just put a spot of weld on it to fix it rather than order a new one...what do you lot think?.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 1st May 2011, 16:49
Yaaaay!...Sort of..

Removed the timing belt today..(God I hate doing these), also removed the water pump (what a bloody job they are!), thankfully found (I think) that the impeller on the back of the pump is just spinning freely on the shaft now, tempted to just put a spot of weld on it to fix it rather than order a new one...what do you lot think?.

Personally TC I would do the job properly and buy a new one. I wouldnt want to have to take it all apart again if I made a mistake. I think they are only around £30 new if I remember correctly.

Tomcat
Sunday 1st May 2011, 17:19
They're a bit more than that but I know what you mean, probably will just order a new one.

silverswedemachine
Sunday 1st May 2011, 17:33
Hope you get given the rite one, my local parts shop gave me one for an s60 with a slightly larger pulley, could only just wangle it in the hole, only realised it was wrong when i couldnt get the belt on it... Think its only one tooth as well... Count um before trying to fit...

cherry1809
Sunday 1st May 2011, 17:44
May as well do the lot while it's all off, I did.
New pump, Idlers, Tensioner etc. I know it's more money, But if it all goes pear shaped it'll cost a lot more :)

Tomcat
Sunday 1st May 2011, 17:48
Yeah, already removed both the tensioner and the idler Anyway.

Jamest5r
Sunday 1st May 2011, 18:11
Yaaaay!...Sort of..

I got a water pump that came out of the block i refurbed, looks ok, you want?

Tomcat
Sunday 1st May 2011, 19:07
Tempted mate, what do you want for it?.

Jamest5r
Sunday 1st May 2011, 19:21
Tempted mate, what do you want for it?.

FOC just cover the postage, if its anything like the rest of the block i got from Pete then it will be well seviceable, if need a favor in the painting area in the future ill give you a shout.

Tomcat
Sunday 1st May 2011, 19:41
Cheers, your a gent. Pm me how much you want for postage, I'll send you my address. I'm hoping to get it sorted for the back of next week (probably the weekend), that way I can swap the insurance over and tax it ready for work on Monday.

Jamest5r
Sunday 1st May 2011, 20:05
Cheers, your a gent. Pm me how much you want for postage, I'll send you my address. I'm hoping to get it sorted for the back of next week (probably the weekend), that way I can swap the insurance over and tax it ready for work on Monday.

I will get it boxed up and stick it in my bag but i dont know when i will find a post office to park outside lol hopefully within a couple of days.

Jamest5r
Friday 6th May 2011, 20:28
You get it? sent 1st on wednesday :) ps you owe me 67p

Tomcat
Friday 6th May 2011, 20:42
Yes Fanks, it arrived Thursday, as I had no idea when it was coming(I'd given up by Thursday) I ordered one from Rufe....Doh!....

Jamest5r
Friday 6th May 2011, 20:54
Yes Fanks, it arrived Thursday, as I had no idea when it was coming(I'd given up by Thursday) I ordered one from Rufe....Doh!....

Give us a bloody chance mate i drive an artic as you well know and they are hard to park outside post office's :) man of my word and got it there before the weekend :)

Tomcat
Friday 6th May 2011, 20:58
Yeah I know, didn't doubt you for a seconond,just didn't want to take any chances. Looks like I've now got a good spare at any rate (the one you sent looks almost new anyway).

Tomcat
Sunday 8th May 2011, 15:46
Well car is now done...

Jobs done so far...

Repaced turbo.
Replaced Full exhaust.
Replaced water pump.
Replaced timing belt.
Replaced auxiliary belt.
Replaced oil filler cap gaskette.
Replaced Both front indicators.
Replaced Handbrake cable.
Various Bulbs indside.
Replaced expansion cap tank.
Replaced Rear hatch gas struts.
Re-painted both n/s doors.
Re-coloured front seats.

Still got to replace the front wheel arch liners and repaint/replace the front bumper, this can wait for the time being though until I have a little more time.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 16:14
Well car is now done...

Jobs done so far...

Repaced turbo.
Replaced Full exhaust.
Replaced water pump.
Replaced timing belt.
Replaced auxiliary belt.
Replaced oil filler cap gaskette.
Replaced Both front indicators.
Replaced Handbrake cable.
Various Bulbs indside.
Replaced expansion cap tank.
Replaced Rear hatch gas struts.
Re-painted both n/s doors.
Re-coloured front seats.

Still got to replace the front wheel arch liners and repaint/replace the front bumper, this can wait for the time being though until I have a little more time.

Very pleased for you Tomcat, your finally with a complete and running black R again. (I did love your old one!)

So will the Pegs be going on her? Also as a fibreglass expert could your bumper not be repaired using fibreglass patching?

Tomcat
Sunday 8th May 2011, 16:18
Me too, still miss that damn car, fraid that this ones only a grey one though, not black. The crack in the front bumper can be repaired (it's just hot glued at present), I wouldn't want to fibreglass it as it wouldn't bond to it being plastic. Pegs are going on the instant the insurance is swapped over and she's taxed, I hate the wheels that are on it at present.

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 16:39
Me too, still miss that damn car, fraid that this ones only a grey one though, not black. The crack in the front bumper can be repaired (it's just hot glued at present), I wouldn't want to fibreglass it as it wouldn't bond to it being plastic. Pegs are going on the instant the insurance is swapped over and she's taxed, I hate the wheels that are on it at present.

My damn eye's again, colourblindness has once again beaten me!

Grey is a really nice colour if I do say so myself. Mine seems to be a little ill at the moment Dean has told me and I think a new engine is on the cards :(

Jim S70R
Sunday 8th May 2011, 19:22
Good news & well done Craig, now get out there and enjoy it :smile:

Tomcat
Sunday 8th May 2011, 20:23
Some updated pics..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0206.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0207.jpg

p fandango
Sunday 8th May 2011, 20:30
those wheels really do set it off a treat :partysmil (yeh i'm taking the pi55)

good that its all coming together

Tomcat
Sunday 8th May 2011, 20:35
Yeah I know, they're er....'interesting'..lmao..

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 21:04
Just one other thing.... sort those rear badges out!

Tomcat
Sunday 8th May 2011, 21:07
Lmao, I wondered who'd notice first, keep meaning to buy some more double sided tape so I can re position them but I keep forgetting. Don't know who the hell put them there but they obviously didn't have a clue.

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 8th May 2011, 22:42
Lmao, I wondered who'd notice first, keep meaning to buy some more double sided tape so I can re position them but I keep forgetting. Don't know who the hell put them there but they obviously didn't have a clue.

Maybe it's a T5 and someone has put R bits on it, but put the badges in the wrong place and why no volans?

The Flying Moose
Sunday 8th May 2011, 22:57
Maybe it's a T5 and someone has put R bits on it, but put the badges in the wrong place and why no volans?

Maybe its an R with missing Volans?

Tomcat
Monday 9th May 2011, 06:51
It's got no volans because the original owner put 17" pegs on it, he still had the Volans but he wanted £350 for them, being as I was going to fit my 18's anyway there was no point in buying them.

cherry1809
Monday 9th May 2011, 19:00
What a turd! They go with the bloody car!

JelT5
Monday 9th May 2011, 19:14
Death squad sent to original owner TC? They can go there after they've dealt with the previous owner of The Shed :D

cherry1809
Monday 9th May 2011, 19:28
Lol. :D

Tomcat
Monday 9th May 2011, 19:47
What a turd! They go with the bloody car!

Lmao...I wasn't really in a position to argue at the time, he was letting me have the car for £500.

Tomcat
Monday 9th May 2011, 19:54
Death squad sent to original owner TC? They can go there after they've dealt with the previous owner of The Shed :D

Lol, the previous owner (not the one I bought it off) defo needs a slap, fancy letting such a nice car get into such a state.

Tomcat
Sunday 29th May 2011, 23:30
Well sadly no new developments, car is just parked up on the drive and looking like it will be for some time as the insurance company is arsing me around still over the crash. Did buy a replacement shifter handle the other day though as the current ones a bit fubbard, if it continues to stay parked up then next week I will respray the bonnet while I'm off to get shut off all the stone chips and a very odd dent in it.

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 13:37
Finally gave in and just swapped the insurance over, it's going to cost me an extra £80 a month but at least it gets the damn thing on the road while I wait for the damn insurance company to pull their collective fingers out their arses. As it's going on the road Thursday I've spent a little time over the past few days cleaning it up a little, also gave it a wash today and fitted the strut brace I got off Pedro. Thursday will see the Pegs going on as well as a few bits of trim that it needs and a K&N cone filter.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0220.jpg

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 14:09
Finally gave in and just swapped the insurance over, it's going to cost me an extra £80 a month but at least it gets the damn thing on the road while I wait for the damn insurance company to pull their collective fingers out their arses. As it's going on the road Thursday I've spent a little time over the past few days cleaning it up a little, also gave it a wash today and fitted the strut brace I got off Pedro. Thursday will see the Pegs going on as well as a few bits of trim that it needs and a K&N cone filter.

I reckon you want one of your splitters on that Craig :P

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 14:20
I know, it's going to get one but not until I've swapped this bumper over for a replacement as this ones badly cracked.

The Flying Moose
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 15:35
Dont you dare drive it on the road without sorting those damned rear badges!

Glad to hear you have "sorted" it at least for now. Hopefully the insurance company will resolve the query sooner rather than later and knock you down to a sensible price. I would be persistent with them though as I very much doubt they will ring you or suddenly drop your bill once resolved, it would make too much sense and they would loose money too.

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 16:06
Not going to leave it, just going to wait a few weeks before I assault them with a barrage of letters and phone calls.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 17:22
Good luck with the insurance company they are all becoming a joke it took a month of phone calls and threats to get my proof of no claims this year. Good to see the new toy on the road though tc but have to say your garage door could do with a lick or two of paint

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 17:48
Cheers, Rich, not going to give in, The tatty white garage door is my neighbours, the nice turquoise one is mine (although even that needs a repaint now).

james
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 18:32

looking good :)

Jim S70R
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 19:13
Good to see your out & about in the car now.

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 19:31
Cheers all, nearly out in it, will be Thursday anyway,lol.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 19:40
Looks really good now TC

AndysR
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 21:04
So the start is in sight, you can get behind the wheel of a proper Volvo again :)

Although I think you should get those wheels on ASAP before you let the side down...

Tomcat
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 21:28
They're going on tomorrow evening ready for the day after.

AndysR
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 21:32
They're going on tomorrow evening ready for the day after.

Good stuff, you realise we'll need pics for proof or you might as well not bother coming back on here! :bog: Lol

Tomcat
Thursday 9th June 2011, 21:32
Well car's on the road today, managed to tax it, feel's really good to be back in an R again. Got a few minor problems to sort out but it's all stuff I can do as I go along. Oh I bought some double sided tape today so I can re position the badges on the back.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0221.jpg
Pick for you Andy..(just to prove the Pegs are now fitted,lol).

p fandango
Thursday 9th June 2011, 21:34
that looks alot better. Needs a splitter lol

Tomcat
Thursday 9th June 2011, 21:36
that looks alot better. Needs a splitter lol

Yeah,lol, it'll get one when I replace the cracked front bumper with the spare I have in the garage.

AndysR
Thursday 9th June 2011, 22:16
Looks miles better just need a splitter, some tit on here makes really tacky ones but they look ok you should drop the guy a pm his username on here is T........ Ah I see you may know him ;) lol

Tomcat
Thursday 9th June 2011, 22:32
Looks miles better just need a splitter, some tit on here makes really tacky ones but they look ok you should drop the guy a pm his username on here is T........ Ah I see you may know him ;) lol

Lmao, yeah I think he made an especialy crappy one for some wierdo name Andy something or other, think he made it out of cereal packets and glue, said being as it was for this nutter that it didn't really matter as the guy was two sheets to the wind anyway and probably wouldn't notice,lmao...

AndysR
Thursday 9th June 2011, 22:39
Lmao, yeah I think he made an especialy crappy one for some wierdo name Andy something or other, think he made it out of cereal packets and glue, said being as it was for this nutter that it didn't really matter as the guy was two sheets to the wind anyway and probably wouldn't notice,lmao...

Yeah that's the sort of quality to expect I had heard some were made from dirty nappies, hopes and dreams... Not heard of any weirdos called Andy though... There's a guy on here called Andy who's a good laugh and has a grey 850R saloon....like.... Oh.....

The Flying Moose
Friday 10th June 2011, 01:06
After reading everything all im glad to hear is that you have bought some double sided tape!

JelT5
Friday 10th June 2011, 07:22
think he made it out of cereal packets and glue

....and double sided tape

think it's time you had one of these

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac327/JelsT5/bluepeter-2.jpg

:D

p fandango
Friday 10th June 2011, 07:39
where's the sticky backed plastic & old fairy liquid bottles lol

Tomcat
Friday 10th June 2011, 07:44
Aw crap, you ever said something you shouldn't have?, starting to regret mentioning that now lol.

JelT5
Friday 10th June 2011, 07:53
I didn't think it'd take long before Pedro joined in pmsl

p fandango
Friday 10th June 2011, 08:10
I didn't think it'd take long before Pedro joined in pmsl
can we stay on topic here please mate, we were taking the pi55 out of TC not me lol

JelT5
Friday 10th June 2011, 08:19
God forbid that we should ever stray off topic at all lol

p fandango
Friday 10th June 2011, 08:26
God forbid that we should ever stray off topic at all lol
lol i've ran out of thanks. I think as moderator Tomcat should be subject to all the abuse for this thread, we've got plenty of other threads devoted to me so lets leave this one to him lol

martybelfastt5
Friday 10th June 2011, 10:47
looking the part now tc

Tomcat
Saturday 11th June 2011, 23:07
Finally got around to removing the badges on the back and replacing them in their proper positions, took ages to get all the foam and glue off the tailgate, then I decided to give the tailgate a good buffing as the paint was in a bit of a state. Eventualy got around to putting the new douible sided foam tape on the back of the badges and then came to replace them.....only trouble was I then couldn't remember exactly where they went, I dug out my Iphone, had a mooch around here for some pics and couldn't find any so I guessed and got it spot on (I think), photo's tomorrow as I couldn't be bothered tonight.

Tomcat
Saturday 11th June 2011, 23:11
Since I started driving this I've been thinking 'yes it fast....but not that fast', seemed to remember my old R being silly fast, I know that was chipped and this isn't but it just didn't go like I thought it would...until yesterday when I remember that because it's an auto I still had it in Economy mode, put it in Sport mode booted it and nearly ripped my daughters head off,lol, goes much better in the right mode. Also noticed the other day that it was making a wierd noise when I let off the accelerator, it's taken me two days to realise that it's the recirc I can hear because I've got a cone filter on it....berk.

p fandango
Sunday 12th June 2011, 00:08
Since I started driving this I've been thinking 'yes it fast....but not that fast', seemed to remember my old R being silly fast, I know that was chipped and this isn't but it just didn't go like I thought it would...until yesterday when I remember that because it's an auto I still had it in Economy mode, put it in Sport mode booted it and nearly ripped my daughters head off,lol, goes much better in the right mode. Also noticed the other day that it was making a wierd noise when I let off the accelerator, it's taken me two days to realise that it's the recirc I can hear because I've got a cone filter on it....berk.
jez you must of been away from a T-5 for a while, i'm partly dreading getting BT back on the road because Bonny is starting to feel quick to me lol

Tomcat
Thursday 30th June 2011, 22:20
Well did another minor job today, had a knackered top water hose for a while now, last time it was just seeping a little from a nick where the jubilee clip had dug into the hose, this was just trimmed and then shoved back on, it held until a couple of days ago when it started to leak again so I ordered a replacement hose from the local independant. Fitted the new hose today (took all of 5 minutes).

Other than a quick wash it's had nothing else done for ages now, I will try and get the front bumper painted while I'm off and maybe even the bonnet ( as that's a real mess).

Oh nearly forgot, I do neet to do something about the brakes as I'm getting really bad squeeling when stopping now (sounds like a damn bus), I have a spare set of front pads floating around so I may just try changing them for now but ultimatley it needs new discs.

claymore
Thursday 30th June 2011, 22:23
Other than a quick wash it's had nothing else done for ages now, I will try and get the front bumper painted while I'm off and maybe even the bonnet ( as that's a real mess).

And perhaps take a mold off it while your at it :)

Tomcat
Thursday 30th June 2011, 22:24
I do have a spare R bumper but I'm giving serious consideration to making an addon lower lip for none R bumpers.

claymore
Thursday 30th June 2011, 22:27
I do have a spare R bumper but I'm giving serious consideration to making an addon lower lip for none R bumpers.

I like that idea

Tomcat
Thursday 30th June 2011, 22:28
Ok, I will have a look at making something shortly (probably next week while I'm off), bear with me and I'll post something up when ready.

Tomcat
Monday 4th July 2011, 17:44
Ok, who was it who said that I'd be better off replacing all the water pipes rather than just the one?....another hose burst today, thankfully it was just the small one that goes from the top of the thermostat to the expansion tank. Managed to fix it with a piece of hose off the 960, better have a look at that bottom rad hose when I get a minute eh?.

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 06:27
Car developed yet another bloody water leak yesterday, after a few hours of scratched knuckles etc I found (hopefully) that it's a teeny weeny pipe that sits just under the turbo (but above the engine mount). Only found out it was this after removing the lower heater pipe and checking it, came to refit it and all went well, till I topped the water up....got another leak, this time from the fitting in the bulkhead, thought I'd lost a washer till I tried to press it in a, little further and heard a crunch...yup broke the bulkhead fitting. Having to borrow a car off a friend to get to work today, hope to order a new fitting today (lets hope it arrives)..

p fandango
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 07:56
i hereby rename your car "Titanic".

Why don't you remove the other pipe from the bulkhead joint & join the 2 ends together with a bit of pipe. You won't have a heater but the car will still be usable then

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 08:50
Offs!!!!... Why the he'll didn't I think of that??...that's what comes from trying to fix your car while panicking and after a hard day at work..cheers Duane, I'll try that tonight, I can leave fixing the heater till the weekend.

claymore
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 08:55
I didn't bother replacing the bulkhead mounts when mine went, I just cut the connectors off the matrix and the pipes in the engine compartment, then just ran some rubber pipes to them, I haven't had a problem since.

p fandango
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 09:22
Offs!!!!... Why the he'll didn't I think of that??...that's what comes from trying to fix your car while panicking and after a hard day at work..cheers Duane
i'm more than just a pretty face see :wink: (& don't answer that, it wasn't a question lol)

Vikingxl
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 09:40
i hereby rename your car "Titanic".

Why don't you remove the other pipe from the bulkhead joint & join the 2 ends together with a bit of pipe. You won't have a heater but the car will still be usable the

you cant name tcs car titanic the titanic actually gos somewhere before it sank without trace lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 11:22
The Titanic was useful as well, this bleeding thing ain't.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 13:31
Good to see you arent losing your sense of humour pegleg

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 13:56
Good to see you arent losing your sense of humour pegleg

Well it's either laaarrrff or criiiieee Yarrrrrr!.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 14:10
Lol

JelT5
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 15:49
The Titanic was useful as well

Not as a leak stopper though lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 16:40
No but it made a damn good submarine

Vikingxl
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 16:49
Only briefly

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 17:29
Car developed yet another bloody water leak yesterday, after a few hours of scratched knuckles etc I found (hopefully) that it's a teeny weeny pipe that sits just under the turbo (but above the engine mount). Only found out it was this after removing the lower heater pipe and checking it, came to refit it and all went well, till I topped the water up....got another leak, this time from the fitting in the bulkhead, thought I'd lost a washer till I tried to press it in a, little further and heard a crunch...yup broke the bulkhead fitting. Having to borrow a car off a friend to get to work today, hope to order a new fitting today (lets hope it arrives)..

That tiny little pipe has been the bain of my life on every turbo change I have done... every time it has sheared off.

silverswedemachine
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 22:03
Yup, mine ended up leaking after i put my 16T on, bloody jubilee cut through the pipe...

Tomcat
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 22:18
Well managed to get the replacement bulkhead coupling today but I decided that with only 3 hours I didn't really have time to start ripping the interior out as well so I've bypassed the heater matrix for the time being (cheers Duane), still took me about 2 hours as I had to scavenge the right bits of pipe to make a bypass pipe. Thankfully it's run upto temp ok and seems (at the minute) to be leak free, going to hopefully get to work in it tomorrow so if it gets me through to the weekend then I will swap out the broken heater connection.

Also gave the outside surface of the discs a scuff up with some course abrasive paper tonight (did it through the spoke of the wheel) and it helped for about 5 minutes, just when I thought it was cured it started squeeling again so I think the only cure now is new discs and pads (that I can't afford).

AndysR
Wednesday 13th July 2011, 22:22
Well managed to get the replacement bulkhead coupling today but I decided that with only 3 hours I didn't really have time to start ripping the interior out as well so I've bypassed the heater matrix for the time being (cheers Duane), still took me about 2 hours as I had to scavenge the right bits of pipe to make a bypass pipe. Thankfully it's run upto temp ok and seems (at the minute) to be leak free, going to hopefully get to work in it tomorrow so if it gets me through to the weekend then I will swap out the broken heater connection.

Also gave the outside surface of the discs a scuff up with some course abrasive paper tonight (did it through the spoke of the wheel) and it helped for about 5 minutes, just when I thought it was cured it started squeeling again so I think the only cure now is new discs and pads (that I can't afford).

Through the spokes of the wheel... behave Craig!!, remove the wheels strip the brakes and deglaze them properly, then you might not have to worry about replacing them just yet ;)

The Flying Moose
Thursday 14th July 2011, 07:27

Christ almighty... if you had mensioned it Monday I had two really good pairs of 280mm discs unwarped etc that I scrapped thinking nobody would want used brake discs!

p fandango
Thursday 14th July 2011, 07:45
i've got a single EBC 280mm in the garage, still in the box (just not sure what happened to the other one lol)

Tomcat
Thursday 14th July 2011, 08:45
Thanks guys, I'll have to see how much it is for a single disc Duane, going to check the discs on the 960 this weekend see if they're the same.

Cars gotten me to work this morning so hopefully it'll do till the weekend do I can replace the broken heater connections.

p fandango
Thursday 14th July 2011, 08:46
Thanks guys, I'll have to see how much it is for a single disc Duane, going to check the discs on the 960 this weekend see if they're the same.
i'll get all the info off it tonight so you don't order the same one lol

Cars gotten me to work this morning so hopefully it'll do till the weekend do I can replace the broken heater connections.
you don't need a heater ya wimp lol

Tomcat
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:00
Well, had a productive day, after a quick trip into town this morning I decided that having a heater was probably a good thing as the windscreen was misting up due to the rain and blowing cold air at it wasn't fun. After deciding to only swap out the knackered bulkhead connector I got that done and then thought that if I left it as it was I'd probably loose all the lovely new washers that where in it, so I promptly replaced the heater hoses as well, very surprised how easy it went back together (bar the two stupid little screws for the connector).

Also managed to swap the front discs for the ones off the 960, exactly the same discs, sadly the pads are completely different so I've just scuffed up the old pads. After looking at both the discs and the pads they where both looking a bit shiny (the discs so much so that I could practicaly see my face in them), not been on a run yet as I've only just finished and I'm knackered but hopefully it'll be a little better, failing that I'll have to have a bash at the rears.

AndysR
Saturday 16th July 2011, 21:58
Sounds like a good productive day, fingers crossed the brake swap cures your problem :)

Tomcat
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:15
Well the front brakes are a lot better, the rear's are still squeeling so it's time to replace them soon. Ordered some vac pipe the other day so when that arrives I will be replacing some of the lines and also adding my MBC. Getting increasingly worried about this cars abillity to wander all over the road, occasionaly it's ok but it's getting quite bad now, going to have to have a look at it this weekend.

The Flying Moose
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:20
Well the front brakes are a lot better, the rear's are still squeeling so it's time to replace them soon. Ordered some vac pipe the other day so when that arrives I will be replacing some of the lines and also adding my MBC. Getting increasingly worried about this cars abillity to wander all over the road, occasionaly it's ok but it's getting quite bad now, going to have to have a look at it this weekend.

I have a problem too at the moment with steering and wandering. I know the tracking is out but the steering feels vague and almost loose. Not sure if you have similar symptoms?

AndysR
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:21
I have a problem too at the moment with steering and wandering. I know the tracking is out but the steering feels vague and almost loose. Not sure if you have similar symptoms?

Inner track rods?

The Flying Moose
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:24
Inner track rods?

Possibly, my knowledge of steering systems is non existant, I understand the components but my diagnostic skills are appauling. I wouldnt know where to start.

AndysR
Monday 25th July 2011, 22:29
Possibly, my knowledge of steering systems is non existant, I understand the components but my diagnostic skills are appauling. I wouldnt know where to start.

Well the outer and inner track rods develop play which will give you that vague feeling when turning the wheel, the outer one is easy to see the inner one slightly more difficult. Strangely play in an inner track rod isn't an mot failure despite how vague and slow to react it can make the rack, the inner one is also quite a bit of a job to replace compared with the simplicity of replacing the outer and tbh if your doing the inner you might as well change the outer because you have to take the outer off to change the inner.

Tomcat
Saturday 30th July 2011, 11:57
Ok, spent the morning replacing some of the absolutley knackered vac lines and also plumbing in my MBC, two questions (as I'm new to MBC'S)..

Which way to increase boost?.in or wind it out?...

Could do with an answer quickish as I'm due to go out and I don't want to blow my engine to smithereens the first time I plant my foot.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 30th July 2011, 13:39
Ok, spent the morning replacing some of the absolutley knackered vac lines and also plumbing in my MBC, two questions (as I'm new to MBC'S)..

Which way to increase boost?.in or wind it out?...

Could do with an answer quickish as I'm due to go out and I don't want to blow my engine to smithereens the first time I plant my foot.

This is going to sound stupid but it depends on what brand of MBC you have bought. I have had both a Turbosmart and a Forge and both wound different ways!

Most should have an arrow on the top to show you. Most I believe wind out. The best thing you can do with any MBC though is keep adjusting it slighty until your happy. DONT just wind it all the way up.

Tomcat
Saturday 30th July 2011, 13:49
Thanks Emlyn, already sorted it...I think.

I had a search through the forum before I went out and found an old thread that Pedro had replied to, good job too as I had wound it all the way in..lol. Before I went out I wound it out...a lot, apparently not nearly enough though as the first time I booted it it went straight off the white and off into the back of beyond. Wound it out a little more and at the moment it's just the right side of the white, going out for a little longer later on so I'll have a proper play with it. Must say though at first impressions it feels a hell of a lot better now, felt lifeless before.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 30th July 2011, 13:57
Excellent glad you got it sorted.

What I would do if you have enough vacuum line is plumb it so as you can adjust the MBC inside the car... ie run the two VAC pipes into the cabin and connect the MBC there. That way you can set it up in car.

There may be a tiny bit more lag due to the longer pipes but once you have it set as you want it you can then re-plumb it back under the engine bay and leave it there.

Tomcat
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 21:12
Well, couple of things, I've sorted out the issue with the boost cut, the connection had fallen off the sensor in the inlet pipe to the turbo (my fault, didn't plug it back in properly last time). I may also have worked out where the latest water leak is, it's been gradualy loosing water for a while now and I couldn't see where it was going to, got in the car tonight to see the windscreen misted up so I'm hedging my bets and saying that the heater matrix is probably shagged. Think it's now becoming blatantly obvious that this things been run for quite some time with no antifreeze...hence all the damn leaks and breakages in the cooling system. As much as I hate to say this out loud.......How long before the head gaskette fails?..

p fandango
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 21:15
What I would do if you have enough vacuum line is plumb it so as you can adjust the MBC inside the car... ie run the two VAC pipes into the cabin and connect the MBC there. That way you can set it up in car.

There may be a tiny bit more lag due to the longer pipes but once you have it set as you want it you can then re-plumb it back under the engine bay and leave it there
my bro did that on his 200sx, the amount of difference it made to the lag was ridiculous. If you want to adjust it in car then your better off with an EBC

si850r
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 21:52
or a long road with plenty of "pull in "places to keep winding the mbc till you get what you want....Worked for me....

Tomcat
Sunday 25th September 2011, 21:14
Ok, small update, not had time (or money) for much lately but I did manage to pull the dash out the other day to replace some of the blown bulbs, it was something I've been putting off for ages as the car's got a passenger side airbag and I didn't fancy medling with it however when another bulb blew and left half the speedo in darkness I thought I'd better get it done..

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0525.jpg

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0524.jpg

Also took the rear spoiler off to paint it as the existing paint was crap, meant to do it all in a weekend but I ended up having to leave the spoiler off for the week (ewww hate them without a rear spoiler).

Still got to try and find time to repaint the front end but the nearer to winter it gets the more I'm inclined to leave it as is and wait till next summer. Noticing a severe amount of brake fade on occasions (and not after much braking) so I think the rear discs are going to have to be changed next.

Tomcat
Wednesday 21st December 2011, 19:40
As the R isn't selling at present I've decided to try and get some of the jobs done over the christmas holidays, I've bought the oil to flush the gearbox and I'm going to repaint the bonnet as it needs it. If it's still here in the new year then I will replace the lower arms and the pcv system.

Tomcat
Saturday 24th December 2011, 22:32
Well..........It appears I'm as numb as sone of you suspected (I'm looking at you Pedro), I was going to change the oil in the gearbox today but upon closer inspection it was Er....... Low on oil. I'd checked it when I first bought it and it definitely too full so I emptied some out, had to put over a litre back into the damn thing today.

Tomcat
Monday 26th December 2011, 12:50
As the weathers strangely good today I thought I'd get on with some more repairs to the R, the front of the car's been in poor condition since I got it the bonnet especialy was covered in stone chips, this is now off the car and I'm in the middle of a repaint...

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0659.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0658.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0657.jpg
This is shots of all the stone chips some of which I tried to touch in earlier this year, sadly there where just too many and the rest of the paint was shot at anyway.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0662.jpg
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0661.jpg
Initial flatting and touching in of stone chips done, I now have a small dent to fill and prime before I spray on the base coat.

AndysR
Monday 26th December 2011, 19:32
Well..........It appears I'm as numb as sone of you suspected (I'm looking at you Pedro), I was going to change the oil in the gearbox today but upon closer inspection it was Er....... Low on oil. I'd checked it when I first bought it and it definitely too full so I emptied some out, had to put over a litre back into the damn thing today.

I'd still be tempted to carry out a flush and renew the oil in light of the issues you've had with the box of late, especially if you plan on keeping it for a little longer.

Be interesting to see how the bonnet turns out :)

Tomcat
Monday 26th December 2011, 19:43
http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo199/volvo850t5r/IMG_0664.jpg

Bonnet clear coated, it's going to need a little flat and polish once it's dry as a bloody fly tried to do the backstroke across my bonnet once I'd put the first coat of clear on it (more importantly....what the hell are fly's still doing around in december?)...

Andy....Yeah I will still flush it but I'm going to drive it for a day or two first just to be sure that it's cured.

I also replaced the small panels under the headlights today as the previous ones paint was god awefull, while I was at it I also replaced the headlight wipers (it looked bare without them). While I was taking the front apart to gain access for the wiper motors I noticed that the o/s headlight adjuster motor wasn't connected, infact it still had a blanking plug over the hole so it's probably been replaced at some point and never re fitted....More photo's tomorrow once the bonnets back on.

The Flying Moose
Monday 26th December 2011, 19:57
Looking very good indeed TC. A real credit to yourself, from the pictures you look like you know what your doing too. Whenever I have tried to do a paint job its gone horribly wrong.

How hard is it to do a bonet? Mine needs to be resprayed. Do you use a compressor and ready mix or rattle cans?

Tomcat
Monday 26th December 2011, 20:16
Cheers Emlyn, I've been painting for a long time now so I've had plenty of time to perfect my craft. You will not get good enough coverage from tins to do a bonnet, they simply don't put enough paint out, even if you bought loads of cans you couldn't get the paint on the car quick enough to stop it looking patchy.,I've used 2 pack basecoat and laquer, this gives a really good finish. If you have a bonnet that needs doing you'd be better off prepping it yourself and then just paying someone to apply the paint for you.

silverswedemachine
Monday 26th December 2011, 20:17
Yeah looking good, wish my bonnet was only as bad as that (before painting), looks like my car has done a fair bit tail-gating up the odd rally stage, lets not mention state of the bumper...

Tomcat
Monday 26th December 2011, 20:20
That's just how mine was, not to mention the state the front bumper/spoiler is in, I'm just attempting to repair another one that's cracked then I will be painting and replacing that as well.

Tomcat
Monday 16th January 2012, 13:37
Ok, car is now sold this thread is now at an end, thanks all for looking and for any input.

p fandango
Monday 16th January 2012, 14:59
Ok, car is now sold this thread is now at an end, thanks all for looking and for any input.
all in favour of another Volvo-less moderator to be booted out post here then ;) lol