PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Maf sensor/Housing

kee1173
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 20:14
Can i swap the Maf sensor/housing from my ME7 T5 98 auto to my R 97 auto non ME7, would this work or are they set different....Just having a few niggles with the R at the Mo and trying things out.....The Lambda light came on the other day after booting the car, stayed on all day but went out again 2 days later, now a day later has come on again....could be just the sensor as recently passed MOT flying colours, also since light came on have now started to run her on super unleaded, i would nt say she idles rough but has a sort of burble to her on idle, then purrs on revs, also pick up on accelration does nt seem as good as my T5 ME7.... now i dont know whether this is because the R is Non Me7 and i am used to the T5 ME7 but both autos and the T5 is so much more responsive....so was going to try the Maf to see if that makes a difference...Any Help greatly appreciated,..Cheers Kee

LiamT4
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 20:40
If the lambda light is coming on after you boot it, its because of some sort of fueling issue, being too lean or rich. Unfortunatly theres a few possibilties of what will be the main cause.
I had a small crack in an elbow pipe near at the front of the engine that caused the light to come on.

LiamT4
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 20:54
What did you get done to it when it was in the garage?

kee1173
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 20:58
Cheers Liam, gonna check all the pipes etc as not sure if boosting is all that, Also had just put on a cone filter this weekend and wonder if that may have caused light,
When you put on a cone filter do you have to take off the bottom half of the air filter box, as i have left it on with the cone filter sitting in it, does this make a difference?
Also think i will fit a boost gauge, are these easy to fit and do they need setting up?

kee1173
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 21:05
What did you get done to it when it was in the garage?

Not a lot got done by the sounds of it, Its my mates garage and he is very good but when he gets bogged down and i was in no rush think mine got left, so in the end i picked it up.......Got the MOT done, which it passed with a couple of minor probs, its had the plugs, cone filter, oil filter and oil change,
checked cam belt but ok, also did the n/s/f top strut mount.....still needs the PCV doing but might do the rest on my own,
I just notice it is not as responsive as my ME7 T5, she really flys and is STD
Getting to the stage of maybe keeping the T5 and sell the R but the R interior is much better and more loaded plus its a R...LOL

LiamT4
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 21:05
Cheers Liam, gonna check all the pipes etc as not sure if boosting is all that, Also had just put on a cone filter this weekend and wonder if that may have caused light,
When you put on a cone filter do you have to take off the bottom half of the air filter box, as i have left it on with the cone filter sitting in it, does this make a difference?
Also think i will fit a boost gauge, are these easy to fit and do they need setting up?

I'v never had a boost gauge so can't help you there, but they are usefull to have when you are having problems.
I doubt the cone filter itself will have caused any problems.
Some people keep the bottom half of the box on so that its still getting the cold air feed to it, others say the whole point of a cone is its larger surface area and if you keep part of the airbox on you are losing some of that area.
Personally, at the power levels that we are running i think the differences would be very small. Whatever makes the best noise!

LiamT4
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 21:09
Not a lot got done by the sounds of it, Its my mates garage and he is very good but when he gets bogged down and i was in no rush think mine got left, so in the end i picked it up.......Got the MOT done, which it passed with a couple of minor probs, its had the plugs, cone filter, oil filter and oil change,
checked cam belt but ok, also did the n/s/f top strut mount.....still needs the PCV doing but might do the rest on my own,
I just notice it is not as responsive as my ME7 T5, she really flys and is STD
Getting to the stage of maybe keeping the T5 and sell the R but the R interior is much better and more loaded plus its a R...LOL

What was the emissions like when it had the mot? Anything close to the limit?
The 4.4 motronic is supposed to feel more aggressive than the me7s.

kee1173
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 21:25
i think it passed the emissions easy, everything was a pass, ( was just trying to find it, wife put it in that safe place LOL) but remember it was good.... the engine sounds more agressive but i would say the ME7 on full kick down has much more punch, where as the R is smoother, gonna take it out tomorrow and give it a good hammering and see....

Alan M
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 21:37
Read the stored DTC's before changing out parts.