PDA

View Full Version : S60 2.0T, why are they so cheap?

jason850t5
Sunday 13th March 2011, 13:56
I've been looking at them and been quite tempted by the price but when cars are cheap there's usually a reason. Do they have any reliability issues? I'm not bothered about performance at the moment, and fuel economy isnt too important as long is it's not horrendous. I've tried autotrader but there are no reviews on this model for some reason.

Santa
Sunday 13th March 2011, 14:38
Not sure about reliability but they aren't the cheapest car to service or fuel and there are lots of them. Plus I believe they were considered the base model so lots have base equipment levels.

Typically larger less economical cars de-value faster

LeeT5
Sunday 13th March 2011, 19:23
I've been looking at them and been quite tempted by the price but when cars are cheap there's usually a reason. Do they have any reliability issues? I'm not bothered about performance at the moment, and fuel economy isnt too important as long is it's not horrendous. I've tried autotrader but there are no reviews on this model for some reason.

Not forgetting this is a 2.0 LPT less desirable than a 2.5 T5 or R. On paper they will always be cheaper than the latter. I would imagine the ones your looking at have high miles too? Not that matters to us Volvo Geeks :)

PAVLIE
Sunday 13th March 2011, 19:58
I had a S60 2.0T before i got the "R" and it was a good reliable car, had it 3 years with no issues whatsoever!

jason850t5
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:16
I've been looking at some with under 100k on and full leather. I've noticed there is quite a lot to choose from so maybe the price is just a case of supply out weighing demand. If they have no major reliability issues I would definitely be happy to drive one.

Jaseb77
Monday 14th March 2011, 11:04
Nothing wrong with the S60 2.0T.

Same issues on all S60's .

Knocking front suspensions
drop links
handbrake

ETM issue
Dashboard DIM issues

chris1d
Saturday 19th March 2011, 20:24
I have a 2.0T Sport. I've had it a year and have just spent £3001 having the engine rebuilt. At 99,936 miles the variable valve timing went causing the pulleys to snap, causing the cambelt to break, causing valve and cylinder damage. Had to have the head skimmed too.

Reliable...maybe I was just unlucky but I'm reluctant to buy another Volvo. Fuel economy averages about 26mpg with a light foot and 23mpg with a heavy foot. That is with mixed driving of country roads and dual carriageway.

p fandango
Saturday 19th March 2011, 21:28
bloke at work got one with 193k miles on & still runs sweet

brummie1972
Friday 20th May 2011, 21:06
Had my 2.0t for a year now apart from top mounts being replaced she has not given my any problems

The Flying Moose
Friday 20th May 2011, 21:20
Its a 5 cylinder Volvo at the end of the day it will be reliable providing that it is maintained properly and in accordance with the service schedule. As with any executive car servicing can be expensive particularly if you go to main dealers. Find a decent independant or be willing to do the minor servicing such as oil and filter changes yourself and you'll only find the car is in the garage for major jobs such as cambelts and suspension components.

chris1d sorry to hear about your car, I think you have been very unlucky.

t5_monkey
Friday 20th May 2011, 23:33
I reckon a remapped 2.0T with a remap (circa 200bhp) would be a great value car...

daveforber
Saturday 21st May 2011, 19:43
I had an S60 2.0T a few years ago. To be honest, I was disappointed with the performance - it was a nice drive, but not what I thought it would be ... until I had it remapped. Back in the day, it was a BSR remap from stock 180bhp to a claimed 227 (I think). I'm sure that other remappers would now be cheaper, which means it's easy enough to get the 2.0 to more than match the 2.4. Not the T5 obviously!

Top engine mount was the only thing that failed on mine, other than a pipe blowing off around the turbo.

t5_monkey
Saturday 21st May 2011, 19:51
I had an S60 2.0T a few years ago. To be honest, I was disappointed with the performance - it was a nice drive, but not what I thought it would be ... until I had it remapped. Back in the day, it was a BSR remap from stock 180bhp to a claimed 227 (I think). I'm sure that other remappers would now be cheaper, which means it's easy enough to get the 2.0 to more than match the 2.4. Not the T5 obviously!

Top engine mount was the only thing that failed on mine, other than a pipe blowing off around the turbo.

'the tuners say!' I have a BSR tune on mine wouldn't get another one - throttle is too sensitive.

Even with power of the 2.4 it would still lack the midrange fire power of the bigger engine but then 200bhp ish should be enough for most of us to get by on!