PDA

View Full Version : head change

T5frankie
Sunday 13th March 2011, 12:28
whats easier engine change or head change and what work is involved in just doing the head the last one i did was a 1.4 gt turbo head bit more simple i would imagine and that was 8 years ago

smithy
Sunday 13th March 2011, 12:34
whats easier engine change or head change and what work is involved in just doing the head the last one i did was a 1.4 gt turbo head bit more simple i would imagine and that was 8 years ago

head change is not hard about 4 hrs work just mark the cams up and bottom crank pully and get the special sealer from volvo for the cam holder witch is alsop the rocker cover that holds the cam in give me a ring and i will exsplain mate

T5frankie
Sunday 13th March 2011, 14:12
so cos my car is smoking (leaky valve seals) changing the head would cure this wouldn't it?

t5 pete
Sunday 13th March 2011, 14:16
It depends if there is any wear in the bottom end frank but yes the head is always a good pleace to start

T5frankie
Sunday 13th March 2011, 16:05
Just took the rocker cover off to find that I couldn't undo the head bolts I snapped my old torque wrench lol.

Tomcat
Sunday 13th March 2011, 16:43
Ooh dear, that doesn't sound promising..

smithy
Sunday 13th March 2011, 16:51
Just took the rocker cover off to find that I couldn't undo the head bolts I snapped my old torque wrench lol.

never use a torque wrench to take things always use a breaker bar then you will have no probs .just make sure its a long breaker bar mate and a high impact socket always works for me lol

Tomcat
Sunday 13th March 2011, 16:53
never use a torque wrench to take things always use a breaker bar then you will have no probs .just make sure its a long breaker bar mate and a high impact socket always works for me lol

Not all of us have breaker bars though...(although I may now invest in one,lol)

smithy
Sunday 13th March 2011, 16:57

very true but i never go anywhere with out mine ,its always in the back of the car for mechanics,wheels ,chavs oh sorry did i say that lol

Tomcat
Sunday 13th March 2011, 18:15
That sounds very fishy, carrying a breaker bar around in the back of your car....

t5 pete
Sunday 13th March 2011, 19:31
break bars are dirt cheep and about the best thing you can have

T5frankie
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:07
nah my favourite is my spark plug spanner and my hex key set lol

smithy
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:27
break bars are dirt cheep and about the best thing you can have

totally agree and have maney uses not just on cars ether lol

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:27
I don't have a breaker bar, but I do use a good quality T-bar with a 6 foot length of scaffold tubing to crack them babies (along with other tuffies like the driveshaft nuts and subframe mountings).

T5frankie
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:30
totally agree and have maney uses not just on cars ether lol

lol i have a nammer in mine

smithy
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:40
lol i have a nammer in mine

a nammer nice one i cannot spell ether must be a trucker thing lol

T5frankie
Sunday 13th March 2011, 20:42

my spelling is spot on its just my accent lol

T5frankie
Sunday 13th March 2011, 22:08
i have just purchased a new 24" breaker bar and a nice new torque wrench on ebay so i can crack on with the project next weekend or maybe in the week if i finish early in the day

Tomcat
Sunday 13th March 2011, 22:17
my spelling is spot on its just my accent lol

lmao...

Tomcat
Sunday 13th March 2011, 22:18

Hey don't tar all us truck drivers with the same brush, some of us can spell proper and evuryfink.

t5 pete
Sunday 13th March 2011, 22:29
Hey don't tar all us truck drivers with the same brush, some of us can spell proper and evuryfink.

I thought all proper truck drivers were class 1's lmao

Tomcat
Sunday 13th March 2011, 22:35

Noooo you've got that wrong, proper truck drivers get out and do something when they get the stuff where it's going, class one guys just sit on their arses..(waits for the abuse to start).

Jamest5r
Sunday 13th March 2011, 22:55

Quality mate pmsl.

Jamest5r
Sunday 13th March 2011, 22:57
Noooo you've got that wrong, proper truck drivers get out and do something when they get the stuff where it's going, class one guys just sit on their arses..(waits for the abuse to start).

Pmsl.....get paid more and do less...got to be the way forward.:B_thumb:

smithy
Monday 14th March 2011, 09:37

you havent seen the jobs i do then sit on my arse i wish lol

Jamest5r
Monday 14th March 2011, 22:08

Pmsl, don't belive a word of it, your on night trunking at the moment the hardest thing you do is wind up the legs lol, but it does leave you free in the day to drop off blocks and rods for a mate:B_thumb:

Tomcat
Monday 14th March 2011, 22:11
Pffft... hard working my ar*e....lol...

t5 pete
Monday 14th March 2011, 22:12

I know the poor lad is on the phone all day talking about volvo's and how quick hes going to get his car finished for me lol

Jamest5r
Monday 14th March 2011, 22:27
I know the poor lad is on the phone all day talking about volvo's and how quick hes going to get his car finished for me lol

PMSL, at least an hour a day, when he does finish his car i can get mine in the garage and you can have your turbo..:smirk:

smithy
Tuesday 15th March 2011, 15:00
Im not liking all these hints lol