PDA

View Full Version : Project Stealth!

lance
Thursday 10th March 2011, 14:27
Yeap my Newist addition is going through some little tweaks, Im currently thinking of removal of the T5 badge so other than two hardly noticeable exhaust pipes it could be 1.6!

So far Ive gone for an Autologic Map (I would have gone down the HLM route but I dont get over the West Midlands much with work these days and I dont have a day spare to go over) So I went to my local independent DPA, Autologic dont quote any figures for the Volvo range (which given whats happened over the years isnt such a bad thing) but they guestimate I should see an increase of 15% in terms of BHP & NM so around 253 BHP assuming mine still has 220 BHP. I havent had time to do a dyno run before of after so who knows!

I bought the car with FVSH to 101k a garage then did a oil change for the dealer selling at 116k but unfortunatly didnt do a cambelt so I had this done straight away including guides and tensioners.

I got the Autologic Power map uploaded on Tuesday for a very good deal and it took less than 30 mins! I wish I had done a stage 0 though as although the power increase feels significant it also feels a bit lumpy like its missing a bit on part throttle and revs can blip up between gear changes (a bit like double declutching) but its shocking quick on full throttle. Dave wasnt 100 % happy either. Iam picking up a K&N replacement panal filter today and she is booked in for some new plugs and general check over on Monday. In terms of power increases 15% seems more than likely and these baby body big motored T5s go just as well even better from low revs as there big little older brothers/sisters only they handle so so much better than any other volvo I have driven apart from the latest S60!

I still can't get over how plain and simple the V50 T5 looks compared to a Focus ST or even previous sporty Volvos she is a true sleeper.

t5_monkey
Thursday 10th March 2011, 14:55
Sounds like your project is coming along!

Mine felt a bit like what you described with the Stock intercooler (which is poor) upgrading to a Bell FMIC (which they are selling off at the moment) cured that so it pulls smoothly and hard through the whole rev range.

Mines Debadged - and even though it has T5 on the number plate and massive crome cans for exhausts... it still catches many unawares!

What about making it the ultimate sleeper, putting it on 16's and fitting a 1.6D badge on the back ? :D

lance
Thursday 10th March 2011, 15:37
Im not sure about 16s but maybe a 1.6 or 1.6D badge on the back could leave some confused drivers, where do you get a Bell intercooler from.

Murphy
Thursday 10th March 2011, 16:37
I wouldn't say you need to try to make it blend in, even the try hard r design is subtle. Leave it stock and work on the bit's you will use like tweaked power, firmer shocks on stock springs and stage 0 tune.

I love these wheels though :D
http://cdn.motors.co.uk/d/used-photos/84307/400x/0/0/KD55ODU.jpg

lance
Thursday 10th March 2011, 19:16
Nice but mine looks far less sporting no spoiler rear or on the front valance here!

I had a V50 1.6D 08 plated courtesy car when the Audi got smashed and apart from the hardly noticeable twin pipes, 17" alloys and the small T5 badge there was little difference to look at between them. Infact mine was parked next to an identical 2.0D same colour same age same alloys only major difference was the interior colours!

t4 chump
Sunday 13th March 2011, 00:02
How do the v50's drive in conparison to the v40's? Been tourmentin myself lookin at a v50 t5 r design in white. I think that will be the next car for me got the volvo bug now big time and havefound out that we're spoilt with the t4/5 for pull on the motorway

lance
Monday 14th March 2011, 11:16
How do the v50's drive in conparison to the v40's? Been tourmentin myself lookin at a v50 t5 r design in white. I think that will be the next car for me got the volvo bug now big time and havefound out that we're spoilt with the t4/5 for pull on the motorway

I havent driven a V40 t4 but I have driven an S40 2.0T (LPT) 1999 with an autologic remap (200 ish bhp) I was supprised how well the S40 went but after getting out of my V50 the S40 feels slow. The T5 engine sounds much nicer through the rev range where as the old 4 pot can sound rough at higher revs. In terms of handling the V50 is based on the modern focus so handles very well indeed compared to the S40. The old S/V40s were underated cars when new the S40 V50s are the same underated but lovely cars comfortable fast and fairly frugal.
Only 3 minus points not much usefull storage area upfront, could do with a rest for your left foot when crusing and seating possition feels a bit high (does in the older models too) Overall the S/V40 has progressed into a better car one that I will live with for some time well atleast untill the V60 D5 has come down in price a lot!

t4 chump
Monday 14th March 2011, 21:57
I havent driven a V40 t4 but I have driven an S40 2.0T (LPT) 1999 with an autologic remap (200 ish bhp) I was supprised how well the S40 went but after getting out of my V50 the S40 feels slow. The T5 engine sounds much nicer through the rev range where as the old 4 pot can sound rough at higher revs. In terms of handling the V50 is based on the modern focus so handles very well indeed compared to the S40. The old S/V40s were underated cars when new the S40 V50s are the same underated but lovely cars comfortable fast and fairly frugal.
Only 3 minus points not much usefull storage area upfront, could do with a rest for your left foot when crusing and seating possition feels a bit high (does in the older models too) Overall the S/V40 has progressed into a better car one that I will live with for some time well atleast untill the V60 D5 has come down in price a lot!
Im the same with the t5 ive seen lol

lance
Tuesday 15th March 2011, 21:41
Project Stealth has gone back to stock settings with a better air filter awaiting a new map we have done a bit of stage 0 and she is fine. The Autologic map gave loads of power but wasnt nice to drive normally very peaky so much so I prefer it stock. Im going to give the software folk another chance because I was very happy with my P2 T5 map and Ive driven a D5 and a S40 LPT with there maps and they were impresive. Failing that I will take time out for an HLM tune which Im sure will be more than worth a day out!

lance
Wednesday 23rd March 2011, 10:58
Went back to a remap on friday and whilst she was very quick still reving up an extra 3-500 rpm when I dip the clutch when accelerating briskly ish ie above 2500 rpm! Better than the 1st map but not quite good enough, although she was fine driven slowly or very very hard anything in between wasnt pleasurable so back to a stock map on Monday, and the soft ware writers are trying again adament they can get it spot on! I hope so.
In the mean time I have booked her in at a local RR for a stock run just a K&N replacement panal filter and 99ron, she has just turned 119k yesterday so it will be intresting to see how many horses she has lost or gained over the 220 BHP claimed!

lance
Tuesday 7th June 2011, 18:10
Right after some serious head scratching and driving around in DPAs own MX5 Mk2 loving life we are back on the case having done new plugs KN Panal filter, a new purge evap valve (American spec apparantly) and finally a focus ST ETM

I tested the car 0-60 as standard and recorded 8.2 secs and 8.4 secs about the same as Autocar C70 T5 which is slightly heavier but more streamlined!

I have tested today with the more aggresive Autologic 1st map which im not keeping as its very aggresive but not as smooth, anyway I recorded 3 0-60s
6.35, 7.63 and 6.65 although I didnt have an 11 stone passanger on board this is a very impresive improvement.

I have gone for the 2nd map which I did a test before the ETM change and it was 7.3secs although I dont think it will be far off the first map ultimatly I have to drive normally 99% of the time so smoothness is my overall priority.

The first map was very hardcore and you could hear more going on with the recirulation valve sounding almost dump valve and the engine note sounding much more angry, but i wasnt happy with driving at 50-75% load as it wasnt as smooth as the 2nd map and in the real world its not often you can drive full bore everywhere. I will post more findings shortly and who know I may go even further with this project in time.

lance
Wednesday 8th June 2011, 13:21
Its going back to standard yet again the car is lumpy between 2 and 3k and I cant live with the over reving of the 1st agressive map.

A few more figures for slower smoother but not smooth enough map 2

0-60 7.3 seconds twice I recorded identical times 8.2 and 8.4 stock

50-70 3rd 3.8 secs

30-70 2nd 3rd 7.03 secs 7.58 Stock

Its a shame as Autologic have tried and the maps on other cars Ive owned and driven have been great. DPA has been brilliant too but Autologic is just not happening on this car so Im going to give HLM a shout and try an Autotech one!

lance
Thursday 9th June 2011, 19:38
Booked in and deposit paid, cant wait!!

lance
Monday 20th June 2011, 21:05
Update, well the car is now running an Autotech HLM tune, I havent done any 0-60 or any other tests but I have done some dyno runs.

I did a dyno run in Notts some time ago and it was down on power 169 BHP since then I have had a replacement focus throttle module, new purge evap valve, spark plugs and panal filter. We decided the run must have been a bad one due to small fan and the acceleration figures being close to Autocars figures for the C70 T5 Mk2 S40 T5 and Test drives S40 T5, well I may have been wrong :(

(Volvo either exagerted the figures or AC and Test drive were untalented performance road testers)

So on friday it went on HLM rollers with a massive fan and it produced 150.21/170.29 clutch power with 276.03 NM. There is nothing obviously wrong with the turbo boost or anything else with the car although we do now suspect the cat is clagged up!

Anyway HLM map and a new BCS and power went to 194.49/ clutch power 205.82 and 365 NM now this might not sound that amazing to you older T5 boys and girls but its 45 whp/35 more clutch hp and 90 more NM so it is a significant gain. However whats more significant is its smooth and pleasant to drive the economy is still very good along with much improved overtaking power 40-100 in 4th is very impresive on ze autobaghn of course.

Anyway Im going down the road of a better exhaust to see if we can find some of those lost horses.

Thanks to Hamish for his efforts so far the car is by far the best its been yet but still with much more to come.

lance
Saturday 30th July 2011, 15:23
Well Big thanks to Hamish is now due, Im not going to go into to much detail on here but lets just say him and his lads are the best when it comes to a good tuning and finding lost power on volvos.

Power is now 230.3 WHP and 420.27 NM resulting in 248.29 BHP and she is stonking. I am going to run her and enjoy her for a bit before deciding to go a little bit further.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 31st July 2011, 00:45
Bigger injectors & FMIC will see you in the 300s for sure. Sounds brilliant mind.

Next job - buy a rear spoiler!!

lance
Monday 1st August 2011, 09:34
Bigger injectors & FMIC will see you in the 300s for sure. Sounds brilliant mind.

Next job - buy a rear spoiler!!

No Im going to stay with the stealth as much as I like R designs and spoilers I want to look as plain as possible

lance
Tuesday 16th August 2011, 10:19
Well last week I did a lot of running around mainly on Broads and single Aroads and with the extra power and the Focus chassis she is an absolute blast, in the real world this is the best T5 I have owned in terms of low down grunt, handling, brakes, steering nimbleness & economy (30MPG seems the norm even having fun and round town)! Top end power is not that important when you have 9 points on your licence but she has more than enough to loose a licence! When 6 points come of next spring I think I might treat her to an intercooler and injectors.

The only two thing I can find fault with the car over the last few months and 8000 miles are there is no clutch foot rest and no where for one so it tends to hover above. This would be annoying maybe on a really long Motorway run where few gear changes are required which fortunatly I could use the D5 unless we where taking the dog! The Leather is not up to the quality of the Phase 2s, Phase 1s or 850s. After 125k mine is very tattly and battered but hey atleast i dont worry about chucking building materials in.

lance
Friday 10th February 2012, 09:59
Well a few more updates but still a couple more to come! I have just had a Jetex 3" downpipe, decat cat back and the map adjusted to suit and the result :) are amazing for one I can now hear her and she sounds lovely fruity and burbley. But the top end power is now much better which should help me out on the track as I lack to use the top end of the rev range for better control in the twistys. To give you an idea on the dyno graph power in 4 th would run out at around 118 mph now it around 132 mph WHP is 242.17 and Clutch power is 261.46 BHP.

Big thanks again to HLM!

smithy
Friday 10th February 2012, 10:16
Well a few more updates but still a couple more to come! I have just had a Jetex 3" downpipe, decat cat back and the map adjusted to suit and the result :) are amazing for one I can now hear her and she sounds lovely fruity and burbley. But the top end power is now much better which should help me out on the track as I lack to use the top end of the rev range for better control in the twistys. To give you an idea on the dyno graph power in 4 th would run out at around 118 mph now it around 132 mph WHP is 242.17 and Clutch power is 261.46 BHP.

Big thanks again to HLM!

what is the torque mate and you have a decat i though you would of gone for a racecat nice result ,so when you doing the turbo then

lance
Friday 10th February 2012, 12:35
For some reason Hamish wasnt able to get a torque reading on this occasion but there is more than enough to keep spining up the fronts it was 420 NM last time so I expect its quite a bit more, next step bigger injectors and FMIC and more mapping to suit so will hopefully get a torque reading then

lance
Monday 30th April 2012, 14:21
Right massive thanks to Hamish at HLM with a custom tune following the HLM FMIC and induction kit & RS ECU box I now have 299.6 BHP and 470 NM. She now really flies.

Thank you

volvokid
Monday 30th April 2012, 14:34
Right massive thanks to Hamish at HLM with a custom tune following the HLM FMIC and induction kit & RS ECU box I now have 299.6 BHP and 470 NM. She now really flies.

Thank you

That is mental, so do you think you would give the RS a run for its money now?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 30th April 2012, 14:51
Don't suppose Hamish gave you the dyno output graph?

lance
Monday 30th April 2012, 15:34
Yes I am sure it will out gun an RS on the straights as most have a shade under 300 BHP and 295LB FT I have almost 350 LBFT, weight wise I have around 100 KG more than an ST but only 60KG approx more than an RS. The RS would leave me on the twisty s though.

I'm happy to have it uploaded if Hamish wants to as I won't have time this week.

lance
Monday 14th May 2012, 10:20
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.360089494038682.75486.192175730830060&type=1

Pics and dyno graphs on FB HLM page

Al115
Monday 14th May 2012, 10:25
This is the badge you want on the back...

lance
Monday 14th May 2012, 10:30
Agreed any drive owners want a t5 badge on the back swaps please

Al115
Monday 14th May 2012, 10:32
£8 delivered, done :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Volvo-DRIVE-Badge-/280822236585?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item41624f45a9

Murphy
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:43
Fantastic results Lance, you must be chuffed. :cool:

t5_monkey
Thursday 17th May 2012, 11:45
What's the sketch with the RS electronics box?

For reference mine does 50-70 in 3 flat, 30-70 5.4 (2/3rd) 6.4 3rd only

1/4 at 99.5 @ 14.77

Also your MAF and/or FPS (fuel pressure sensor) may be tired mine felt a lot stronger after replacing them.

One of the symptoms of my tired FPS was lazy then sharp response to part throttle.

Get the Forge BOV and you'll hold more boost in the midrange.

Fancy a head to head 1/4 mile at York ?? :)

lance
Thursday 17th May 2012, 12:13
You have lost me on the rs electronic box but there was a reason I would love
a head to head at York but have a lot of personal commitments like moving my fiancé in and getting rid of stuff throughout June and July after then I maybe up
for that.

lance
Thursday 17th May 2012, 12:16
I did the maf sensor a while ago sorry for the wonky reply it's
these iPhones, I will try and post some times up soon for ingear it
Certainly feels bloody quick

t5_monkey
Thursday 17th May 2012, 13:41

Thank you

What's the RS ECU box ?

Focus RS runs the 1/4 at 14.2 @ 110mph.... quite a tall order to beat.

You got a 3" DP and Sports cat on it? That will really improve your top end breathing if you don't.

Oh and what have you done to the handling so far ?? :D That's the best bit once you get it proper sorted!!

lance
Thursday 17th May 2012, 14:39
Yes has a 3 inch jetex exhaust the rs ecu box I think was
required due to the itg intake system I think. Handling
wise it's completely standard as it is used and abused lots
of speed bumps and used as a builders van from
time to time. I have speant a bit on the front end but it is all stock at the moment. It will be interesting to see what terminal it gets I think it will easily
do low 14s not sure how easily it will do 110 but u never know.

t5_monkey
Thursday 17th May 2012, 16:27
Yes has a 3 inch jetex exhaust the rs ecu box I think was
required due to the itg intake system I think. Handling
wise it's completely standard as it is used and abused lots
of speed bumps and used as a builders van from
time to time. I have speant a bit on the front end but it is all stock at the moment. It will be interesting to see what terminal it gets I think it will easily
do low 14s not sure how easily it will do 110 but u never know.

Look forward to seeing it on the strip :)

lance
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 14:24
Just had a service have removed the T5 badge and replaced it with a Drive badge just to confuse other drivers. Hope to get her back to a drag meet/ track day shortly

Haizum74
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 16:14
Well Big thanks to Hamish is now due, Im not going to go into to much detail on here but lets just say him and his lads are the best when it comes to a good tuning and finding lost power on volvos.

Power is now 230.3 WHP and 420.27 NM resulting in 248.29 BHP and she is stonking. I am going to run her and enjoy her for a bit before deciding to go a little bit further.

Where were the lost 25hp found then? Sounds like a cracking result there.

lance
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 17:46
I am sworn to keep this quiet as the garage involved owned up and apologised for there mistake andlooked after me accordingly and I still use them too. Anyway 248 was last year 300 bhp is now!

LiamT4
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 17:58
I'f often thought about sticking a diesel badge on mine, just to confuse people. lol

Haizum74
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 18:15
I am sworn to keep this quiet as the garage involved owned up and apologised for there mistake andlooked after me accordingly and I still use them too. Anyway 248 was last year 300 bhp is now!

Ok, fair enough. Still, glad its sorted.

lance
Friday 25th January 2013, 09:53
On HLM rollers -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiYDK8fwVYQ

Wobbly Dave
Friday 25th January 2013, 11:39
You'll be needing one of these....

http://j-w-racing.co.uk/product.php/7203/2026/t3_exhaust_manifold_focus_rs_mk2_

and a GT series garrett. Nom nom nom!!

smithy
Friday 25th January 2013, 21:04
What power you running at the wheels

lance
Saturday 26th January 2013, 10:49
284.6 whp

lance
Tuesday 5th February 2013, 08:55
Well she has just turned 150k this morning no mods as such but over the last 6 months she has had a new boost pressure ic sensor, plugs an oil change, a misfire that meant 1 coil pack went immediatly followed by 2 more so changed them all as they were probably original. Last month was MOT time so I had to get the cat on, the rear ns wheel bearing needed doing and the front pads and disc were getting close to worn out so they were changed for Ds performance pads and Zimmerman discs. Next job is fresh brake fluid as that looks old and I am sure I cooked it at Cadwell lol, will do the gearbox oil as have noticed a slight faint whine at 60 mph in 6th and the power steering needs a top up. Rear bushes will need doing soon too.
I'm going to try and it the 200 k in her and should do in the next 3 to 3.5 years I think she is on the original clutch still to (known weak point on tunned St) However I am always gentle on the launch as I don't need anymore bills too soon!

lance
Thursday 21st March 2013, 19:48
Now running really well just changed a faulty fuel pressure sensor and fixed an air leak and she flies

lance
Friday 26th April 2013, 12:28
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Volvot5/media/DynoApp.png.html?sort=3&o=0

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/Volvot5/150K.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y108/Volvot5/th_photonearlyflatout.jpg

V70 Graham
Friday 26th April 2013, 12:38
http://s4.photobucket.com/user/Volvot5/media/DynoApp.png.html?sort=3&o=0

Which iPhone app is that Lance ? do you find it accurate ?

lance
Friday 26th April 2013, 12:54
Dyno chart and engine link for clearing fault codes, I think there fairly accurate not sure entirely but it got 299.6 bhp a similar bhp curve on Hlm rollers I did the run in 3 rd gear rather than 4 th because i would certainly need a big private road! I think the funny business in torque could be down to dstc cutting back the power either way the app is showing over 500 nm peak spikes on the road which is more than on the rollers but comparable with similarly modified st,s and s40,v50s either way she feels nice and quick 4 th gear is awesome 40-3 figure speeds is stupid!

lance
Tuesday 17th March 2015, 08:58
Well not done anymore since last week it started running lumpy so I treated her to a mini service and they found a air leak on the plastic inlet manifold so I have replaced it with a nice shinny black metal one which apparently adds an extra 5-15 bhp overall and an extra 25 bhp in the midrange, well I thought is that my wheels spinning in 3rd and 4th as it sometimes does in the wet cold weather no it's my clutch but hey 178k isn't bad out of a stock clutch ( I heard a rumour the earlier clutches were stronger than newer ones) so I will at some point get the stronger RS one fitted and maybe I might bring her out for a drag race this season :-)

AshDVS
Wednesday 24th June 2015, 13:27
Any further updates?

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 24th June 2015, 23:35
Yeah - Lance became a Dad again a few days back. Guess he's a bit busy with the new bairn.