PDA

View Full Version : Picked up the V70R on the w/end

bigbluebus
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 10:28
Well, I finally managed to pick up the V70R on Saturday (things have been a bit hectic lately - see location in my profile!)

First thoughts:

- glad I left a good deposit with an honourable chap. He had quite a few callers in the last couple of weeks, so there must be good demand right now.

- what a fantastic highway car. Cruise control and sat nav on for a totally relaxing run back down from Lancashire. The only noise in the cabin at highway speeds was Pink Floyd coming from the stereo.

- on country roads, though, the autobox's tendency to whack it into top gear and "coast" when you lift off approaching a bend does bug me a bit!

- the awd system is very impressive. I went for a play around in the disgusting rain on Sunday and you could actualy feel the torque being juggled around the individual wheels.

- it was nice while it lasted. My wife has now moved all the child seats etc. into it and put the keys in her handbag. I take that as a hint that she likes it, and that I won't be given much opportunity to add to the above driving impressions.

Oh well - easy come easy go. But anybody looking for one of these will not be disappointed.

Regards, Steve

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 10:58
LOL! you need to get another key cut and sneak out with it for a bit of private playtime!!

x

fraz13
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 11:06
Hi Steve

Sounds like you've been having fun, Dont let it stop lol

Do we have any pics of the beast in question? :slap: a mean the car BTW peepo

Where abouts in the Highlands you moving to? Theres a few members up that way....

Kent Canary
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 11:07
Floyd.. cool..

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 11:09
As I said on the other thread -coasting can be illiminated by apt use of the selector. When cruising it doesnt matter so much - but when pushing you need to get the car to come off the power and decelerate with the engine. Experiment with the box in "3" and you will see what I mean.

bigbluebus
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 11:10
LOL! you need to get another key cut and sneak out with it for a bit of private playtime!!

x

Nah. Won't work. I used to do that when she was using my Integrale as the family car. Next day was a dead giveaway........ fuel gauge on empty and the front wheels black as coal.

Regards, Steve

bigbluebus
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 12:01
Hi Steve

Sounds like you've been having fun, Dont let it stop lol

Do we have any pics of the beast in question? :slap: a mean the car BTW peepo

Where abouts in the Highlands you moving to? Theres a few members up that way....

LOL.

Not many pics of the car unfortunately - don't have a digi camera (luddite or what?) - but there is a small one on the thread in new members:

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3163&page=2

We will be based near Inverness, by the way. Looking forward to the spectacular countryside and the open roads...

Regards, Steve

fraz13
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 17:25
Nice mate, used to frequent Inverness every week, a miss the journey and the "getting away"

At the moment kdst5, bedlam and gillespie are all reasnably local :wink:

audimadmike
Thursday 28th July 2005, 21:13
- it was nice while it lasted. My wife has now moved all the child seats etc. into it and put the keys in her handbag. I take that as a hint that she likes it, and that I won't be given much opportunity to add to the above driving impressions.

Steve,

I know what its like to have her indoors take over, I used to own an Audi S2 Quattro coupe, now shes got all the keys and logbook!
Her car does sound good, mine is just the T5 estate.
A premature welcome to north of the border, I'm originally from Norfolk.
Mike

bigbluebus
Friday 29th July 2005, 11:18
Nice mate, used to frequent Inverness every week, a miss the journey and the "getting away"

At the moment kdst5, bedlam and gillespie are all reasnably local :wink:

Looking forward to it too. I was in Northumberland when I first moved to the UK and I've not been entirely happy with the crowding since moving to the southeast... (don't miss the icy wind blowing off the north sea 365 days/year though!!)

So what are the winters like in Inverness these days? How many days will I likely be too scared to drive to work in a mid engined car with minimal tire tread? Something tells me I'll be in trouble if I "borrow" the V70 too many times.

Regards, Steve

bedlam
Saturday 30th July 2005, 09:36
When are you actually moving north?
You'll like the winters. In and around Inverness is okay most winters. Getting north or south can be a big problem. east and west is usually ok.
The main thing is there's not a lot of traffic and you get to enjoy your car, people are nice and scenery's fantastic.
Downside - Car prices high, very little by way of accessory shops/tuners, petrol prices are a rip-off.

bigbluebus
Monday 1st August 2005, 11:50
-
Steve,

I know what its like to have her indoors take over, I used to own an Audi S2 Quattro coupe, now shes got all the keys and logbook!
Her car does sound good, mine is just the T5 estate.
A premature welcome to north of the border, I'm originally from Norfolk.
Mike

Bad luck! Always did like those S2's - I toyed with the idea of getting one before I got my first Integrale.

Funny you should mention the logbook. My wife's complaining because my name went on the papers for the V70R (figured I'd get a strange look from the owner if I signed the V5 as "Kate"). Says she is going to change it with the DVLA when the new papers arrive.....

Regards, Steve

bigbluebus
Monday 1st August 2005, 12:03
When are you actually moving north?

Downside - Car prices high, very little by way of accessory shops/tuners, petrol prices are a rip-off.

Yikes! When you say rip off, what do you mean in relation to the 92p or so that I have to pay locally (that's regular, not super).

No problem with high car prices because I've somehow found myself with more cars than I need right now - sounds like I might want to wait and sell the 850 wagon up there. (A lack of ready access to performance parts might be a good thing too, actually).

I'll be up there work-wise in about 3 weeks now. Will be moving as soon after that as I can sort out decent accomodation!

I'm already studying the maps to make a list of the squiggliest mountain roads I can find.