PDA

View Full Version : Overboost?

rebmulp
Sunday 6th March 2011, 19:41
Is overboost protection like a rapid fluttering sensation sorta juddering? Only in my last T5 it sorta cut then came back, but in the present t5 its like a juddering. It has a rica 304 remap. I have tried fitting an MBC today it is turned down to minimum and it is better but still seems to overboost (if thats what it is doing). I am not an expert in these matters by any stretch. Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking that the wastegate is staying shut too much could it be an actuator fault?? HELP!

T5frankie
Sunday 6th March 2011, 19:44
Having more boost will show up crappy spark plugs by getting spark blow out this causes the same problems as you describe

rebmulp
Sunday 6th March 2011, 19:49
Plugs it is then. For a start.Thanks for that. It has been baffling me because the afm boost gauge is not showing high boost.The one on yhe clocks shows about 3/4

p fandango
Sunday 6th March 2011, 20:12
thats not the overboost then, the end of white on the factory gauge is around 15psi which is when the boost cut comes in. Factory boost cut is very aggressive & you'd certainly know when you hit it, brown trouser moment lol

T5frankie
Sunday 6th March 2011, 20:18
you wont have overboost protection on a re-mapped ecu anyway

p fandango
Sunday 6th March 2011, 20:20
you wont have overboost protection on a re-mapped ecu anyway
some raise it, some remove it altogether

rebmulp
Sunday 6th March 2011, 22:10
OK I will post results when plugs are done.Ignorance is bliss Thanks guys.

rebmulp
Wednesday 9th March 2011, 18:13
nice 1

Nice 1 seriously many thanks!!Just been round the village plugs have done it boosting to 0.8 bar in 2nd. Is it worth turning it up do ya think?

T5frankie
Wednesday 9th March 2011, 18:58
nice 1

i run mine at 1.5 bar mate just dont floor it till after 4000rpm,

Nice 1 seriously many thanks!!Just been round the village plugs have done it boosting to 0.8 bar in 2nd. Is it worth turning it up do ya think?

i run mine at 1.5 bar mate just dont floor it till after 4000rpm,

rebmulp
Wednesday 9th March 2011, 19:05
I will gradually turn it up. Mine is an auto so Idont want to go too far. Also has standard boost hoses/balloons Thanks again for the guidance.

manback
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 13:18
even when mines running standard 9psi on the MBC its cutting the iginition to the car between 3-4k.

well i assume its the ignition cutting, or turbo surge or the spark plugs failing or what ever is really happening!

is anyone else experiencing this?

p fandango
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 15:48
even when mines running standard 9psi on the MBC its cutting the iginition to the car between 3-4k.

well i assume its the ignition cutting, or turbo surge or the spark plugs failing or what ever is really happening!

is anyone else experiencing this?
the boost/MAF cut on a standard ECU is like hitting a brick wall, VERY aggressive & you'll certainly know it if its cutting in. When i'm home i'll post a vid of BT hitting it on the 1/4

si850r
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 18:15
well i ve cleaned my maf today with electric contact cleaner, cleaned my idle control valve and where it connects to the engine with carb cleaner and my car still feels like its holding back...It boosts then dont then boosts again .It s pickling me now...

smithy
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 18:18
well i ve cleaned my maf today with electric contact cleaner, cleaned my idle control valve and where it connects to the engine with carb cleaner and my car still feels like its holding back...It boosts then dont then boosts again .It s pickling me now...

bcs mate or actuator not tight or nackered

p fandango
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 18:20
BT (burgundy 854) hitting the MAF/boost limit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce1QoS3XpG4

si850r
Wednesday 16th March 2011, 18:21
bcs mate or actuator not tight or nackered
I adjusted the actuator and the boost is coming in earlier (about 2500 now)
so I aint to sure if its that, the bcs is a maybe..Im gonna whip the plugs out and see what they look like...Any idea on the spanner size for them is it a 14mm?

manback
Saturday 19th March 2011, 08:52
the boost/MAF cut on a standard ECU is like hitting a brick wall, VERY aggressive & you'll certainly know it if its cutting in. When i'm home i'll post a vid of BT hitting it on the 1/4

So what's the solution?

p fandango
Saturday 19th March 2011, 08:54
So what's the solution?
turn the boost down

manback
Sunday 20th March 2011, 10:13
turn the boost down

It's already at 9psi! I may as well keep the Volvo controller on!

smithy
Sunday 20th March 2011, 11:54
It's already at 9psi! I may as well keep the Volvo controller on!

you should be able to run it at 16 psi no probs what plugs are you using

manback
Sunday 20th March 2011, 13:43
No idea. I imagine they are cheap ones. Is that a factor?

claymore
Sunday 20th March 2011, 13:55
No idea. I imagine they are cheap ones. Is that a factor?

Very much so, use standard Volvo plugs

manback
Monday 21st March 2011, 11:05
Very much so, use standard Volvo plugs

can anyone explain this for me, surly the fuel can either ignite or not ignite.
so if your saying im not igniting fair doos, but theres no half way house with this is there?

Yorkshiresxi
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 21:57
Sorry to reopen a old post...but did you ever sort this problem out..as mines still doing in.plugged in a boost gauge tonight i am out 11psi, on what is ment to be a 280 mapped ecu...now floor it and its ok..give mid power and she splutters some times..when she splutters floor it and its ok..could it be plugs..i fitted new ngk ones about 3 months ago and leads.
thanks

T5frankie
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:01
Sorry to reopen a old post...but did you ever sort this problem out..as mines still doing in.plugged in a boost gauge tonight i am out 11psi, on what is ment to be a 280 mapped ecu...now floor it and its ok..give mid power and she splutters some times..when she splutters floor it and its ok..could it be plugs..i fitted new ngk ones about 3 months ago and leads.
thanks

you sure it's mapped?

Yorkshiresxi
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:48
I cant be 100% no, i will video the cut out as its not boost cut as such as its as if its fuel cut etc...i need to change a few vac lines so manybe that will help

t5lover
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 22:50
thanks
Well I would get the codes checked first could be the tps doing it as we found out on jelt5 yesterday put a 3.0L throttle body on it's and all is clear, then put standard volvo plugs in and see what she does fella :)

LiamT4
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 23:05
you sure it's mapped?

remember, mine has been mapped and its struggling to get to 13psi.

floppy69
Tuesday 9th August 2011, 23:19
it sounds reminiscent of the sort of cut i was getting with an ecu that was supposed to be chipped and after fitting an ecu from hml no cut running up to 17-19 psi of boost with stock plumming...could be the ecu!!

merc85
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 20:43
Ignition Leads?? this was what was causing my similar problem.

T5frankie
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 21:09
it sounds reminiscent of the sort of cut i was getting with an ecu that was supposed to be chipped and after fitting an ecu from hml no cut running up to 17-19 psi of boost with stock plumming...could be the ecu!!

mate its hlm not hml "Hamish Lindsey Motorsport" lol

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 21:42
I am kinda thinking of sending me old T5 ecu for a postal remap then i know for sure its been done then...i am running 12 psi at the moment, but need to put my boost gauge somewere and try and find somewere to put the pipe through the bulk head

T5frankie
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 21:45
I am kinda thinking of sending me old T5 ecu for a postal remap then i know for sure its been done then...i am running 12 psi at the moment, but need to put my boost gauge somewere and try and find somewere to put the pipe through the bulk head

standard is 10psi mate, mine when mapped went up to 12

Yorkshiresxi
Wednesday 10th August 2011, 22:41
Yeah didnt know if i should crank the MBC up and see if she will run at 14 or something...see if my problem is still there or gets worse

T5frankie
Thursday 11th August 2011, 05:04
I had the same problem it xas crap leads and plugs

LiamT4
Thursday 11th August 2011, 11:35
I'm guessing you have an s70/v70 as you don't have a boost gauge.
If its a fueling issue then i very much doubt that turning the mbc up would help it, apart from seeing if it will boost higher and show up the problem more.

How "jerky" is it? Is it a splutter or more progressive?

I say this as mine has got a boost problem, but its very progressive, just like you can feel the boost coming on and off. If its like mine then i doubt it would be plugs, leads etc and more like a bcs or actuator problem

Yorkshiresxi
Thursday 11th August 2011, 11:54
No its a 850 i have...i have a boost gauge yes. Didnt do it at all this morning on the way to work and i havnt touched the MBC or anything.
I have replaced the plugs, leads, cap, rotor, etc about a month ago.
I have a 16T to go on this week or next now with a actuator so maybe see if its any better then..as for strength..its mild..its like someone cutting the fuel for a split second...its not harsh at all.
Like said when it does it..if i floor it at the same time it goes away..its as if its only there when your loading up and holding the boost rather then if you floor it and make it work its fine.
Example..over taking a car the other morning...long open road, just put the power down half way..but full boost and she pulls out..starts to go..splutter, goes, splutter, goes splutter, pulls in and i floored it, fine..slowed down, go again, splutter go splutter slamed it down fine all the way to the red line...
maybe something i am going to have to live to deal with since fitting the MBC.
Or maybe try a different MBC maybe
Call me crazy...half of me wants to crank the MBC up that much that it does boost cut out then i know what that feels like, and i will know its not that now - but dont want to bend a rod .lol
Thanks chaps