PDA

View Full Version : New Motor

chrisall
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 10:11
Hi, I have just bought a 1998 C70 T5 GT, really pleased with it except for a couple of things. Firstly the brakes are absolutely dire, loads of pedal travel & vibration when braking hard. I guess that new discs and pads should sort that out, what makes would you all recommend? I was looking at the pagid ones .... any good for fast road use?

Next prob - the acceleration seems really flat after 3500 rpm. Also when it starts first thing in a morning it doesn't fire on all cylinders for about a second. It always starts ok but just misses for a second. I think I will start with a new air filter & a set of plugs, anything else that I should be looking at?

Last thing - The CD player is only a single disc. I have seen a genuine 6 disc changer but does anyone know where it is fitted? Is the wiring already fitted as standard.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate that I'm asking a lot of questions for a newbie !!!

Chris.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 10:56
:welcome:

I hope you enjoy the site.

I too have recently acquired a C70 (my second t5) - so despite all I too am a newbie of sorts? (well I am trying to convince myself that I am younger than I am)

I suggest that you work through the relevant parts of the Stage 0 tune up on the Knowledge Base board.

I would ring Volvotuning and ask them for Ferodo DS2500 pads and plain brembo disks (you should have the 302mm front disks). Only order the disks if yours are badly lipped or are of a poor condition. I know that currently there are none in the UK. You can get the nearly as good Ferodo DS2000 pads (aka "Performance") which are also awesome fast road pads. Avoid EBC like the plague, IMHO. You only need fast pads for the front as this is where the main brake load occurs ~90%.

VT also have ignition sets and plugs on the shelf. NGK BKR7EVX is pretty much all the plug you will ever need. You may also wish to get an ITG panel filter. There is a special offer on tuning in August - defo worth thinking about... http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3340

I think you may wanna change your head unit for the front loading 3CD multichanger - you can get them 2nd hand from Salvo Group in Ilkeston - Forum members are entitled to a discount - Ring 'em and ask for Mark - http://www.salvogroup.co.uk/

nikgallagher
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 12:26
Last thing - The CD player is only a single disc. I have seen a genuine 6 disc changer but does anyone know where it is fitted? Is the wiring already fitted as standard.

I would stick with the single loader in the dash if I were you. Once you've loaded your six cd's in the multi-changer in the boot, you're stuck with them till you can be bothered to change them when the car is stationary. Much easier to just have a case logic in the glove box and be able to choose from 48 cd's (changeable on the go) instead of 6.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 18:01
I would stick with the single loader in the dash if I were you. Once you've loaded your six cd's in the multi-changer in the boot, you're stuck with them till you can be bothered to change them when the car is stationary. Much easier to just have a case logic in the glove box and be able to choose from 48 cd's (changeable on the go) instead of 6.And crash while your fiddling about, or get fined for careless driving etc....

After_Shock
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 18:15
The pagid brakes are excellent but wear down very quickly, the brembo's again are excellent but depends how much they both cost really!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 18:18
The pagid brakes are excellent but wear down very quickly, the brembo's again are excellent but depends how much they both cost really!Pagid fast roads are £43 at motorsport world, but there 5 day order so i went EBC.

Goof
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 21:05
My front disks will need replacing soon, what's the cost difference between std replacements and 302 disk conversion?
I'm assuming it can be done to the 850?

p fandango
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 23:06
Pagid fast roads are £43 at motorsport world, but there 5 day order so i went EBC.
what spec pads did you go for TDS, i've got greenstuff but quite a few have gone for the redstuff (just keep away from there discs)

Tomcat
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 23:17
I have the 302's on my 850 and they're on standard discs and pads, never had any trouble with em....

p fandango
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 23:19
My front disks will need replacing soon, what's the cost difference between std replacements and 302 disk conversion?
I'm assuming it can be done to the 850?
to convert from 280mm to 302mm you need the bigger disc (obviously) & the caliper mounting bracket which cost about £90each from Volvo but you could try Salvo

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 00:08
The mounting brackets for the 302mm are somewhat cheaper from VT, I think? IMHO if you dont have 302s then don't worry. The 280mm are fine so long as you have good pads - as anyone who had been in my (ex-)850R would testify

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 01:21
what spec pads did you go for TDS, i've got greenstuff but quite a few have gone for the redstuff (just keep away from there discs)I have Red Stuff @ £82 a set, i dont drive like a lunatic so i never notice a good pad or a bad pad if i'm honest, the EBC do squeal a bit sometimes thats all i noticed.

Goof
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 11:58
The mounting brackets for the 302mm are somewhat cheaper from VT, I think? IMHO if you dont have 302s then don't worry. The 280mm are fine so long as you have good pads - as anyone who had been in my (ex-)850R would testify
Cheers Dave - I need to replace disks soon, so may as well get a recommended standard combination from VT. Perhaps also fluid change, as braking improves on second attempt (I don't know when fluid was last changed, so may as well start from scratch).
Personally I've never had an issue with braking performance on mine - but I don't know what make of pads & discs I have... apart from worn ones!

chrisall
Thursday 28th July 2005, 15:07
The pagid fast road pads were £45 from partsforvolvosonline.com Front discs £67 per pair I just got std pads for the rear. Will hopefully get round to fitting this weekend so should see a vast improvement in stopping power !!! Also ordered a set of NGK plugs, ITG panel filter & poly torque arm bush .... bl**dy car is less than a week in my ownership & have already spent a couple of hundred quid, lol. As regards the flat-spot I think i'm gonna pay chiptuning a visit & get them to have a look .... kinda thinking that I might be tempted by a RICA upgrade too .... well, it would be rude not to !!!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th July 2005, 15:19
If you were having the RICA you could get the ITG for free (part of the August Summer Special)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th July 2005, 15:19
Poly bush are a waste of money IMHO - too much noise through the firewall.

Al115
Thursday 28th July 2005, 15:23
Some of us like the noise!

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 28th July 2005, 16:12
Some of us like the noise!
Maybe I am just an old fart then

p fandango
Thursday 28th July 2005, 16:14
Poly bush are a waste of money IMHO - too much noise through the firewall.
replacing the standard one ever other year seems a waste of money to me

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 29th July 2005, 00:44
replacing the standard one ever other year seems a waste of money to meHas anyone tried the poly suspension front bushes yet too, as i might replace mine with the Suspension Kit too at same time if it's worth it.

p fandango
Friday 29th July 2005, 10:52
Has anyone tried the poly suspension front bushes yet too, as i might replace mine with the Suspension Kit too at same time if it's worth it.
i've got them, but they were fitted when my standard one's were totally shot (garage said there was literally nothing to remove on 1 side) so obversly i felt an improvement

After_Shock
Friday 29th July 2005, 11:42
I wouldnt put poly bushes on with the KW suspension as it would be like having concrete as suspension!

Would try them with softer suspension combinatiuons though.

chrisall
Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 15:35
The poly bush engine mount does transmit a bit more noise than standard, but certainly not intrusive. The new plugs made a massive difference to the engine, gone is the hesitation at 3500 rpm :-) Looking at the old ones I'm not surprised though, they were well & truly sh*g*ed !!! As for the brakes, massive improvement there ... though still a bit of judder which I'm suspecting is the wishbone bushes. Might have to upgrade those soon, along with some decent shocks & springs I would suspect. I have already fitted an ITG filter, so the August special offer on the RICA isn't too much use. Apparently mine is a late '98 so the upgrade costs more :-( Might have to wait on that one as it does seem a bit expensive. What other mods can I do? What about a manual boost controller? Seems a cheap way to up the power a bit. Has anybody fitted one?

Cheers,
Chrisall.

lance
Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 15:52
Could be a bit dodgy with me7

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 15:59
You cant use MBC with ME7. System is too clever.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 2nd August 2005, 16:01
I am running Eibach Lowering springs and monroe reflex shocks - on the C70 and the handling is awesome.