PDA

View Full Version : performance clutch c70 t5

blackc70310bhp
Sunday 6th March 2011, 17:46
hey there, my clutch used to slip occasionally when i floored the c70 and the boost needle indicated 15psi
but now its all the time :-(
every time i floor it now the revs just soar to around 5k and there is plenty of noise but little acceleration!

i have two questions really,well,maybe 3!
is there a good entry level performance clutch, not a terrible hard paddle thing but just an uprated grippier one?

2.how many of you on here have dared change the clutch on a t5 engine yourselves? is it a nightmare of epic proportions? i have a mechanic friend but we'll still be working on a drive, all though we do have a 2 ton trolley jack, 3 ton jack, ramps axle stands and an engine hoist,

realistically how much will i pay for a good clutch?

cheers luke :-)

smithy
Sunday 6th March 2011, 18:23
hey there, my clutch used to slip occasionally when i floored the c70 and the boost needle indicated 15psi
every time i floor it now the revs just soar to around 5k and there is plenty of noise but little acceleration!

is there a good entry level performance clutch, not a terrible hard paddle thing but just an uprated grippier one?

2.how many of you on here have dared change the clutch on a t5 engine yourselves? is it a nightmare of epic proportions? i have a mechanic friend but we'll still be working on a drive, all though we do have a 2 ton trolley jack, 3 ton jack, ramps axle stands and an engine hoist,

cheers luke :-)

if you have a dual mass flywheel get rid and fit a 850 t5 flywheel with 850r clutch mate it all depends if yours is me7 or not if not thats the way to go

JelT5
Sunday 6th March 2011, 19:18
As Smithy says, the R clutch is the one to go for. Contact Simon (Rufe on here) iirc around £220.

blackc70310bhp
Sunday 6th March 2011, 19:28
thanks people, it sounds terrible but i never thought of an R clutch, my c70 is an old r reg 98 i think so hopefully it has a standard flywheel!

Dan850r
Sunday 6th March 2011, 19:36
Thirded oe R clutch

blackc70310bhp
Sunday 6th March 2011, 19:47
its settled an r clutch is the way to go!
but how about the job?
im guessing sub frame out engine supported, drive shaft out ect ect?
the kind of job your authorised volvo dealer would charge £600 i bet!

t5 pete
Sunday 6th March 2011, 20:07
its settled an r clutch is the way to go!
but how about the job?
im guessing sub frame out engine supported, drive shaft out ect ect?
the kind of job your authorised volvo dealer would charge £600 i bet!

You only need to lower the passanger side of the sub frame while engine is attached which gives enough room to slide the gear box out.

t5 pete
Sunday 6th March 2011, 20:08
As Smithy says, the R clutch is the one to go for. Contact Simon (Rufe on here) iirc around £220.

Is that for the clutch kit or just the plate its self.
Cheers pete

WOODY T5
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:35

cheers luke :-)snap same here mate been up to the coast 2bay started slipping in 4th:(

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th March 2011, 22:27
I just had my LSD fitted. In conjuction I have had a performance SACHS organic clutch, new Volvo DMF & new slave cylinder.

The clutch is good for 500NM, but it is quite heavy & it stinks when you reverse & slip it, e.g. backwards onto my drive way. This is the price I am willing to pay for a better launch. We shall see?!

Car is 305bhp C70 - MY99

WOODY T5
Sunday 6th March 2011, 22:31
how much was your clutch dave

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th March 2011, 22:36
The 240mm clutch plate was 230 & the cover plate was 250. So no it was not cheap. But I figure on only doing this job once.

WOODY T5
Sunday 6th March 2011, 22:39
cheers dave thinking on the same lines wot u have done got a gripper diff come.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th March 2011, 22:45
Few teething problems with the rebuilt gearbox (haven't said too much yet as I have yet to finish discussions with my gearbox chap). However the quaife LSD is amazing. Still getting used to the new clutch.

The clutch, DMF & other bits were supplied & fitted by HLM. I sourced & rebuilt the gearbox separately.

WOODY T5
Sunday 6th March 2011, 22:51
ok mate iam getting a full gearbox with the gripper fitted thinking of takeing the diff out of it and putting it my box as i have a 2L 20v in my car?

blackc70310bhp
Friday 11th March 2011, 20:12
to be fair ive only done an ebay search with lots of different results, i typed in 850t5r clutch kit and c70 cluch kit, they all look and seem the same, there are about 3 different makes, one is an ac delco kit and the others simply say "oe quality!" prices range from £174 to around £220 no release bearing is mentioned??

now my c70 is an R reg 2.3 gt with plenty of mods and i appreciate all the bhp debate on here so although i have an rr printout for 309 bhp lets say its between 290 310, after all i have only taken it to one garage for a power run and i know that results can differ between garages!

so is it wise to buy any of these ebay clutches, are they man enough?!
can anyone point me to someone who sells a well priced clutch kit that should put the power down well?

thanks again everyone! :-)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 11th March 2011, 23:38
Well if you are interested - we can compare notes. I am over in Telford & you can see 1st hand what I have done.

smithy
Saturday 12th March 2011, 09:40
to be fair ive only done an ebay search with lots of different results, i typed in 850t5r clutch kit and c70 cluch kit, they all look and seem the same, there are about 3 different makes, one is an ac delco kit and the others simply say "oe quality!" prices range from £174 to around £220 no release bearing is mentioned??

now my c70 is an R reg 2.3 gt with plenty of mods and i appreciate all the bhp debate on here so although i have an rr printout for 309 bhp lets say its between 290 310, after all i have only taken it to one garage for a power run and i know that results can differ between garages!

so is it wise to buy any of these ebay clutches, are they man enough?!
can anyone point me to someone who sells a well priced clutch kit that should put the power down well?

thanks again everyone! :-)

speak to rufe off this forum he can get big discounts on oem volvo stuff and its not the t5r clutch you need its the 850 r clutch you need with the springs in the clutch plate ,the are 2 different types but rufe knows which 1 you will need he sells loads off them.

spesh
Saturday 12th March 2011, 14:58
I have a spare 850r clutch

smithy
Saturday 12th March 2011, 18:39
I have a spare 850r clutch

and that fits your s90 mate

blackc70310bhp
Monday 14th March 2011, 10:17
i dont mind as long as the clutch bolts straight to my 98 c70!
an 850 r clutch is exactly what im after, some say they have stronger springs and are rated to 350lbs torque :-)

smithy
Monday 14th March 2011, 16:24
i dont mind as long as the clutch bolts straight to my 98 c70!
an 850 r clutch is exactly what im after, some say they have stronger springs and are rated to 350lbs torque :-)

they can take alot more than that mate ,mine took 396ibs torque no probs

blackc70310bhp
Monday 14th March 2011, 18:16
i must say i am quite impressed with how the big girl can move! i looked at a code plate in the engine bay last week and it said the weight of the car was 1800 odd kgs!!
and thats probably dry! with 5 litres of washer fluid 5 for coolant 5 1/2 for engine oil and a full tank of fuel it must be getting on for two tons !!!
surely the only other coupe with that kind of bulk is the jag xjs !!

in comparisson my old 200sx's only wheighed 1300kgs so big power in those meant good 0-60,

thats the one thing im sad about with the volvo, big bhp does'nt suit front wheel drive too well!
that said i cant really fault the car, along with my accord type R its probably the best car ive had yet and its my 9th !!

T5frankie
Monday 14th March 2011, 18:30
i must say i am quite impressed with how the big girl can move! i looked at a code plate in the engine bay last week and it said the weight of the car was 1800 odd kgs!!
and thats probably dry! with 5 litres of washer fluid 5 for coolant 5 1/2 for engine oil and a full tank of fuel it must be getting on for two tons !!!
surely the only other coupe with that kind of bulk is the jag xjs !!

in comparisson my old 200sx's only wheighed 1300kgs so big power in those meant good 0-60,

thats the one thing im sad about with the volvo, big bhp does'nt suit front wheel drive too well!
that said i cant really fault the car, along with my accord type R its probably the best car ive had yet and its my 9th !!

your c70 only weighs around 1460kgs mate