PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - my 850 R manual

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:25
So i just picked up my 850 R manual from lance. Got 30 miles and the Lambda light has come on. Wont rev above 3,000 rpm and when it does, it struggles, burbles etc........

Before this tho, when I revved, the revs seem to hang for a few seconds before dropping back down. I have had a few (2) T5's that were similar, but not as bad as this........

Just read the codes and it came back with 1-2-3 (ECT?) ....... Lance has just put a new Bosch MAF on too as the light was on when he had it, then went off when the MAF was changed (coincidence?)

Any help would be appreciated ......

t5 pete
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:28
sounds like it is in limp mode first off i would look at all intercooler hoses and vacume lines giles.
Ill have a look in the volvo book for that code and see if it elabrates on what it is

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:32
sounds like it is in limp mode first off i would look at all intercooler hoses and vacume lines giles.
Ill have a look in the volvo book for that code and see if it elabrates on what it is

The turbo air intake was loose ...... I'll check to see what else is loose, but doubt the intake being loose could do this?

Rnash2002
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:41
Thought you were trying to sell it Giles?? lol

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:X4s_u4cfZWwJ:www.pistonheads.com/sales/2567781.htm+volvo+850r+forsale+on+pistonheads&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:45
Thought you were trying to sell it Giles?? lol

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:X4s_u4cfZWwJ:www.pistonheads.com/sales/2567781.htm+volvo+850r+forsale+on+pistonheads&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&source=www.google.co.uk

Was it you who sent me that smug message yesterday then? ;)

I have spoken to Lance beforehand ..... the car is NOT for sale ..... I have other reasons for 'listing' it ......decided to delist becuase of the possible crap it can cause ...... basically without going into too much detail, I have to make it look like it's for sale .....

t5 pete
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:47
The turbo air intake was loose ...... I'll check to see what else is loose, but doubt the intake being loose could do this?

If there is any sort of leak it can mess with the revs sticking and also a hose coming off on the intercooler pipes will cause the car to go into limp mode.
Ive had this on myne when i first fitted the rip kit it kept blowing the intercooler hoses off and then once i connected it all back up the car would either go into limp mode or not run right it usually took around 50 miles to correct its self and the car would run fine again.

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:49
If there is any sort of leak it can mess with the revs sticking and also a hose coming off on the intercooler pipes will cause the car to go into limp mode.
Ive had this on myne when i first fitted the rip kit it kept blowing the intercooler hoses off and then once i connected it all back up the car would either go into limp mode or not run right it usually took around 50 miles to correct its self and the car would run fine again.

Will look - sorting out the cats, rabbit, kids, dishwasher and then when it's dark, will realise I cant see what I am doing now that all the things that could have been done in the dark are done lol.......

t5 pete
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:50
Will look - sorting out the cats, rabbit, kids, dishwasher and then when it's dark, will realise I cant see what I am doing now that all the things that could have been done in the dark are done lol.......

lol its always the same by the time you come to look at the car its always too late or too dark

Rnash2002
Saturday 5th March 2011, 16:50
Was it you who sent me that smug message yesterday then? ;)

I have spoken to Lance beforehand ..... the car is NOT for sale ..... I have other reasons for 'listing' it ......decided to delist becuase of the possible crap it can cause ...... basically without going into too much detail, I have to make it look like it's for sale .....

No mate not me,just thought i was seeing things when i was searching volvos on pistonheads a few days ago lol.

p fandango
Saturday 5th March 2011, 17:32
it could if it was loose after the MAF

smithy
Saturday 5th March 2011, 17:44

if you find nothing mate i would deconnect the battery and leave it off for a couple of hrs and reconnect and see if the light comes back on then check the codes again

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 17:55
it could if it was loose after the MAF

Well, stripped the car down......see pics......pipe going to front of engine split....pipe going to EGR perished......air intake pipe before MAF and after MAF loose (!!!).......destroyed one vacuum pipe so gonna have to replace....

Now I have tracs, abs and Lambda light on (car is running in picture but taken before any removing of parts was done)...seems to tick over ok tho?

smithy
Saturday 5th March 2011, 17:59
Well, stripped the car down......see pics......pipe going to front of engine split....pipe going to EGR perished......air intake pipe before MAF and after MAF loose (!!!).......destroyed one vacuum pipe so gonna have to replace....

Now I have tracs, abs and Lambda light on (car is running in picture but taken before any removing of parts was done)...seems to tick over ok tho?

once you sort pipes mate the car should be good if you get more probs give me a ring if i can help mate

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 18:01
once you sort pipes mate the car should be good if you get more probs give me a ring if i can help mate

what about Lamda light, abs and tracs? will they go out? Suppose I will have to see first?

si850r
Saturday 5th March 2011, 18:31
hope you sort all that out mate....did you know about these probs when buying??

p fandango
Saturday 5th March 2011, 18:37
Now I have tracs, abs and Lambda light on
does that make connect 4?

si850r
Saturday 5th March 2011, 19:38
thats only 3

p fandango
Saturday 5th March 2011, 19:41
thats only 3
show off, run the screen wash down & he'll have a full set then lol

si850r
Saturday 5th March 2011, 19:49
i d settle for the 'manage de trois'

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 20:19
hope you sort all that out mate....did you know about these probs when buying??

Nope - but then neither did Lance lol ..... had a chat with Smithy and we think the problems are leak generated, and also the BCS needs replacing (hence why the needle only boosts 3/4 of the white) .... gonna look at an MBC and sort the pipes tomorrow ..... most were as I say either loose or perished so best to start replacing these first ......

However, still unsure as to why the TRACS and ABS lights are also on - I read the two are related to the ABS unit being faulty ....... lets hope not ...

kee1173
Saturday 5th March 2011, 21:34
The tracs light and abs light on my V70R keeps coming on, its at my mates garage at mo haveing a spruce up ( get it back monday woooo hoooo) but checking these lights, car itself is fine and he just said really common for these lights to start coming on once they get to a certain age and 8 times outta 10 just a over sensitive sensor.....like i say mine are on and its juts flown thru a mot.... Hopefully they are just on cause they dont want to be left out ..LOL

Giles
Saturday 5th March 2011, 21:37
The tracs light and abs light on my V70R keeps coming on, its at my mates garage at mo haveing a spruce up ( get it back monday woooo hoooo) but checking these lights, car itself is fine and he just said really common for these lights to start coming on once they get to a certain age and 8 times outta 10 just a over sensitive sensor.....like i say mine are on and its juts flown thru a mot.... Hopefully they are just on cause they dont want to be left out ..LOL

yeah mine has just had 12 months MOT as of last week too, but would be nice not to have them on ..... may have to remove the bulbs ;)

kee1173
Saturday 5th March 2011, 21:42
yeah mine has just had 12 months MOT as of last week too, but would be nice not to have them on ..... may have to remove the bulbs ;)

Was about to say that lol....pedro your expert for that ....LOL

Giles
Sunday 6th March 2011, 20:44
I give up - have taken all pipes off airbox, turbo, all vacuum lines, airbox out etc and ordered some 4mm vacuum braided hose......gave it a wash and did the windows....had a joke with myself about the 'glovebox problem' and was amazed this one still opened.......got in and guess what.....notorious glovebox problem - wont open - means it'll be the 3rd glovebox lid I'm gonna have to drill a hole in to get open.......AAAARRRGGHHHHH !!!!!!

t5 pete
Sunday 6th March 2011, 20:49
Its certainly not looking good giles but will be worth it when its all up and running its a shame people let cars get into this state

Giles
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:01
Its certainly not looking good giles but will be worth it when its all up and running its a shame people let cars get into this state

I'm just frustrated......really frustrated........hadn't even had it 30 mins when the light came on and went into 'limp' mode ......4 hours later the engine bay looks like a telephone exchange in WW2, 24 hours later and it looks like half the engine compartment components are missing........26 hours later and the glovebox seizes......

Even had to put someone off buying my 306 TD Peugeot today (offered me £600 cash there and then btw) cause I dont have another car until that pile of metal looking rather sorry for itself on my drive gets some TLC......

Makes my ol' T5 and 855R auto look showroom condition. Not having a go at Lance as I offered £2,000 without even seeing or driving the car, but this car sold for a grand in December......required £1,500 spending on it by Lance to bring it safe and legal, now it needs more money (admittedly nowhere near what Lance spent) spending on it......and now a new glovebox.......plus, whoever put the exhaust on has left around 4" clearance off the road (the mid section box is hanging down and feels fixed in that position) ....... hopefully new vacuum pipes will fix the issue, but I have my doubts....... there is also a bit (teaspoons worth) of oil in the boost hoses and throttle body ......

p fandango
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:19
there is also a bit (teaspoons worth) of oil in the boost hoses and throttle body ......
thats normal

Giles
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:32
Confirmation of what pedro said earlier:

bbking48507 says:
August 13, 2010 at 12:57 am
a loose air intake duct is only going to cause problems with the air fuel mixture readings if the engine uses a Mass Air Flow sensor and the leak is after the maf sensor. the engine would be pulling in more air than the maf is sensing causing a lean condition(more air than fuel). Look for a sensor somewhere in the air intake system before the throttle body and after the air cleaner. It should have an electrical connector with about 3-5 wires. If it doesn’t have a maf sensor, then it is probably just coincedence that the light went of after you tightened the air duct. Either way, now that it is good and tight, monitor the check engine light. If it stays off, you’re good to go. If it comes back on, then you probably need a new O2 sensor.

Giles
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:39
and here ;)

Re: help im in limp home mode!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check air intake piping from air cleaner to turbo. See if you pulled it off at turbo. If so loosen hose clamp and install back on turbo. Happens all the time. Sounds familiar ......

Giles
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:40
I'm feeling more confident now ....... just that damned glovebox lid ...... I know it aint expensive, just hassle ...... and I still have those gas struts to do ......

t5 pete
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:47
I'm feeling more confident now ....... just that damned glovebox lid ...... I know it aint expensive, just hassle ...... and I still have those gas struts to do ......

Just be care full when removing the plastic trim for the gas struts as it can be easily broken.
Once evey thing is sorted it will be a damm good motor to keep, thats the main reason i will never sell myne as i have replaced nearly every thing so it would be pointless to get rid of it to start again having to repair/replace things.

Giles
Sunday 6th March 2011, 21:50
Just be care full when removing the plastic trim for the gas struts as it can be easily broken.
Once evey thing is sorted it will be a damm good motor to keep, thats the main reason i will never sell myne as i have replaced nearly every thing so it would be pointless to get rid of it to start again having to repair/replace things.

Thanks Pete - appreciated ..... just feel a bit low - I'll be ok tomorrow .... to me the cost of buying the car wasn't important ...... the thought of being an R manual owner fills me with joy ..... just some niggles to sort, and minor ones too, if I was lance ...... well ..... i'd be right pissed off ..... he only did 1,500 miles and it cost him £1,500. Then he sold it and made a £600 loss .... but in all fairness to G-wagon, it was sold cheap, but hardly a 'christmas present'.....

Giles
Monday 7th March 2011, 10:19
Could this be my issue?

lance
Monday 7th March 2011, 10:19
Yeah it wasnt the best but I guess 3 months sort of Motoring for £500 odd squid a lot of my time was in a courtesy V50 1.6D slug or a not so bad chipped S40 2.0T LPT and with the time at the garage I only did 1500 miles in the R, I hadnt thought of it at a £1 a mile maybe I can afford a super car afterall!

Im sorry about the niggles I thought I had most of them sorted as Giles knows I have been totally honest and was happy for any inspection when I droped the car for MOT and I wasnt even there! That was a couple weeks ago and I ended up having to buy a battery last week because I didnt run the car and the old one just was as dead as a do do!
Regarding the airleak I had the air flow meter replaced after a smoke leak test etc, the car had an intermitten boost issue that I thought this had resolved as it boosted fine 4/5th 5/6ths where as the fault would pop up and take it just in the white prior to the replacement of the non genuine airflow meter.

The ABS and tracs light never came on for me but dry joints in the solder is a common problem Im not sure if Wobbly is still doing these now and then!
Hopefully with some new pipe work she will really go like a rocket

Giles you must have a magic touch with 850 Glove boxs though as you said the famous magic words my First T5 with a working glove box!

lance
Monday 7th March 2011, 10:27
Could this be my issue?

Doesnt look like its supposed to be there. I really sorry you are still having issues here hopefully cheaply and easily sorted for you.

Giles
Monday 7th March 2011, 10:37
No problems Lance - these are not digs at you by any means - just small issues and as I said I have been venting my frustation here ...... so please dont take it as a personal attack - far from it. ;)

smithy
Monday 7th March 2011, 10:58
Could this be my issue?

that is the idol control pipe to throttle body ,you will be loosing all your boost threw that hole mate best get a new volvo 1 most of the second hand 1s are weak and will split.

Giles
Monday 7th March 2011, 11:06
that is the idol control pipe to throttle body ,you will be loosing all your boost threw that hole mate best get a new volvo 1 most of the second hand 1s are weak and will split.

Hence why my drive home could have been a little un-boosty? would this also throw a light or could the air-leak have done that too causing a double whammy? will my glovebox open when this has been fixed :(

smithy
Monday 7th March 2011, 11:34
Hence why my drive home could have been a little un-boosty? would this also throw a light or could the air-leak have done that too causing a double whammy? will my glovebox open when this has been fixed :(

yes it will throw a light up because that is a big split mate but no it wont open your glovebox when its fixed

Vikingxl
Monday 7th March 2011, 11:38
Get Pedro round with his grinder that will sort the glovebox

Sorry to hear you are having so many issues but hopefully it will all be sorted quite cheaply and quickly

si850r
Monday 7th March 2011, 17:18
it will get sorted mate....bet you wished you kept the shiny red one now.....but at the end of this all you will have a shiny turquise 1...as for the glove box issue....you dont need one ..ive just stuck a nice chrome and red 'r' over the hole you drilled in it..i still need to know if you changed the atf in mine as well mate as im thinking of doing it ..

t5 pete
Monday 7th March 2011, 18:49
Hi giles that is deffinatly where your problem is coming from as that type of rip will put the car in limp mode when on full boost as you will be loosing most if not all the pressure through that rip.
Also have a look at the 90 degree bend at the drivers side of the manifold as if that perished/broke it will also cause rough running

Giles
Monday 7th March 2011, 19:18
it will get sorted mate....bet you wished you kept the shiny red one now.....but at the end of this all you will have a shiny turquise 1...as for the glove box issue....you dont need one ..ive just stuck a nice chrome and red 'r' over the hole you drilled in it..i still need to know if you changed the atf in mine as well mate as im thinking of doing it ..

Yep - definately wish i had not sold that car ..... just looked on your wall at my photo's ;) - bodywork (except that wing) looks fantastic..... engine bay was spotless too...... I regretted selling that car the moment you came round and still today, but, 7 months on and I have an R manual.....ok it has minor issues but i have ordered the parts (boost hoses and vacuum lines) and will hopefully get it running properly this weekend.......I will also get my bodywork touched up (stone chips etc) so it will be fantastic

Check yours and my wall Simon lol - posted about the ATF numerous times lol - as i said, I dont like the wall posting as it does not notify you (doesn't me anyway)......the answer is no, I have not changed but i thought I did ask CNH to do it - check the receipt (all 10 pages of it lol) - if it dont say, then it has not been done........I would change it if I were you.

I may try hacksawing through the u bolt and if not, did toy with drilling another hole (I'm a dab hand at it now - without looking, reakon it's 215mm across and 12mm down ;) then use magnets to secure and put an R badge over it ....fed up of paying £20 for another as the one you have was 2 weeks old when that snapped ......

Giles
Monday 7th March 2011, 19:19
Hi giles that is deffinatly where your problem is coming from as that type of rip will put the car in limp mode when on full boost as you will be loosing most if not all the pressure through that rip.
Also have a look at the 90 degree bend at the drivers side of the manifold as if that perished/broke it will also cause rough running

it ticks over fine ....... which bend you on about? inlet side drivers side?

si850r
Monday 7th March 2011, 19:33
cheers mate Theres nought mentioned on the receipt and I cant find this wall your on about..... I really hope you get to the bottom of your probs...we will have to link up one day mate and go for a beer....

p fandango
Monday 7th March 2011, 20:10
cant find this wall your on about
he's left a message on your public profile page

si850r
Monday 7th March 2011, 20:14
yeah found it now mate....

Giles
Monday 7th March 2011, 21:06

Thanks Pete - confirmed as below from web quote:

That said, the most common reason for the lambda light (in the U.S. the check engine, which is often times 02 sensor related) comes on is due to air leaks. Because the air/gas ratio is so out of whack, the front 02 sensor is unable to send a signal to the computer for compensation, the fault code is set. You don't say how the car drives otherwise. If it has gone into a "limp mode," then you probably have a seriously large hose leak (turbo hose has slipped off, has a hole in it or even the intercooler has a crack) or your MAF sensor has taken a dump. If you're able to drive but have decreased power and gas mileage but otherwise nothing is seriously flawed, then most likely you have a vacuum leak or some vacuum leaks. Depending on your current symptoms, check either the large hoses and MAF or smaller vacuum hoses, including the elbows around the sides of the engine and at the vacuum tree under the throttle cable cover for cracks and holes or disconnections. Good luck!

Getting somewhere now :P

Giles
Monday 14th March 2011, 21:33
Hoses all on and replaced. Starts ok, sounds great, intermittent fluctuation in revs now and then and the lambda light is still on ...... i had a flat battery so thought and codes should have cleared? revs ok - aint driven it yet as need a jubilee clip for the small hose from the throttle body inlet ..... thoughts on sizes?

si850r
Monday 14th March 2011, 21:43
i think you have to get the codes removed by the plug in computer mate, the memory still stores them.
Make a note of them when you get them read, get them wiped then take her for a drive then maybe get them re read to see if any thing crops up then?

lurchio2
Monday 14th March 2011, 23:00
Hi. I had problem with my tracs and abs lights on. Turned out to be the ignition barrel. When I start it if I don't turn the key back a fraction the tracs and abs lights stay on. Just a thought.

Giles
Monday 14th March 2011, 23:10
Hi. I had problem with my tracs and abs lights on. Turned out to be the ignition barrel. When I start it if I don't turn the key back a fraction the tracs and abs lights stay on. Just a thought.

will give that a try, thanks :)

lance
Tuesday 15th March 2011, 09:47
will give that a try, thanks :)

We had that very fault on Andreas 854 T5 s and none of the electrics would work if you didnt turn it back just a fraction we ran the car for 5 years like this no problem as it wasnt worth the hassle of changing the barrel.