PDA

View Full Version : Lit up like a christmas tree

silverswedemachine
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 20:39
Just done my usual 12 mile run long-way-round back from the gym, car has been sort of running fine (explained later), got home , switched off for of 10 seconds then had to move the car and was greeted by the dash having a fit... From left to right,

the light failure bulb
low fuel - over 5 gallon
low windscreen washer
low header tank
battery light
I think abs light
plus service light (dont count)

Right one thing that wasnt right was the car wasnt charging, it was fluctuating around 11 volt or so, now after the fan had come in a few times, i re-checked it and it was charging again, 13.2v and the warning lamps had gone out... Switched off and re-started, yup, they stayed on again, car revs fine...

Also whether its related or not, i have had a mis-fire creep in since yesterday...

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 20:54
My V70R did this the other day, but this was down to a flat battery...had enough charge to light up everything etc but not enough to turn over and as i turned the key to turn over my dash went crazy .... once i jumped it and it was running everything was ok ...so maybe battery given up as not being charged enough...was it ok once it started up?

silverswedemachine
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 20:58
No mate, that picture is taken with the engine running, look closely you can see it idling, the engine was up to temperature, just got back from a good run...

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 21:16
Then i would say it maybe as you say the charging system... because similar to mine as the charge was so low the lights went mad ... so maybe the alternator poss..can take them off and get it checked at most motor spares....

silverswedemachine
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 21:28
Yeah, i think im gonna have a look round it, check all connections and wiring in the engine bay, something might have worked loose... Looks like being another alernator, when it was charging the lights did go out...

leet5r
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 21:32
all mine came on when the fan belt snapped m8

silverswedemachine
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 21:54
Cheers people, New alternator it is...

silverswedemachine
Friday 4th March 2011, 21:27
Had another look tonight after work, now everything has cooled down, i started the car and it was back to normal, lights out and charging at 13.7v, thought sod it, took it for a run round the block, did about 1.5 miles and the lights came back on(i think they came on with a cak handed gear change), but did go off after a few hundred yard of taking it easy... only for them to come back half mile later, funny though when i revved it up to about 3500 rpm the lights did go out only to come back on when the revs dropped... When the lights did come back on, they would not go out and nursed it home to a resting 11.3v battery... Would an alternator be this inconsistant or likely be a wiring issue??? i still plan on getting another one tomorrow for what a second hand one costs...

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 21:38
could do yes, does sound like an alternator but get battery checked as well cause if alternator not been charging for a while can damage battery but not normally...

silverswedemachine
Saturday 5th March 2011, 19:56
Cheers for the advice, got a second hand one off a V70 for £25, abit better than the £153 exchange i was quoted!!! Back up and running now...

PaulZX
Saturday 5th March 2011, 20:00
deffo sounds like an iffy alternator or battery...

kee1173
Saturday 5th March 2011, 21:56
Glad to hear all sorted now.... even better my advice was right lmao