PDA

View Full Version : How to drive a V70R like a total bell-end...

Flatout Phil
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 17:48
Enough said, I think. One thing on the Nurburgring quite another on the road:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWqD-5_nzNk

One for the Hall of Shame!

volvo340sleeper
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:02
what a total tit. lucky he didnt crash

p fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:08
"lets rock" wtf

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:13
bit like the missus on the school run.... except you would see the odd kid being flung out with the car still flying ....LOL

Rnash2002
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:13
Was going to say i will see his car soon in the breakers but then looked at the date lol,its probably already dead and buried hehe.

p fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:15
& was anyone not exactly impressed with how quick it was, hope it was standard lol

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:16
i must be lucky , cause i am using me daughters netbook and got 4 kids running around tryin to kill each other i cant really hear what the Pr**k is saying.....bet he feels so good about, got all 2 of his mates to watch it ....LOl

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:20
Its not a V70r .... its that geezer in the Fiat cinqcuerto thing ....lol.. he said it was dangerous ... thats just going to the shops LOL

T5frankie
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:29
well as far as i could see he was driving pretty quickly but only overtook when he could see nothing was coming the other way, i didnt see him do any dodgy overtaking like round blind bends etc........you are allowed to overtake lol

PaulZX
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:31
I've driven harder than that for longer... with the mother in law in the car.. he's a sunday driver lol

PaulZX
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:33
The most he did wrong was skip a red light over the bridge and jump out early over a double white... (and the obvious but not measured speeding)

p fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:36
well as far as i could see he was driving pretty quickly but only overtook when he could see nothing was coming the other way, i didnt see him do any dodgy overtaking like round blind bends etc........you are allowed to overtake lol
the first thing he did was cut across lanes to make the turn off, he did overtook on the brow of a hill, also drove intentionally thru a red light

T5frankie
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:38
well i did miss a little chunk out lol, i drive quick but no red lights or overtakes where i cant see the road ahead is clear

offtheclockuk
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 18:42
apart from driving round another car to run a red light over the bridge in the video, ive had drives like that in the works transits i used to drive!

135bhp transit beavertails and the bed was all ally too, hours of fun were had in those!

james

volvoboy2009
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 19:27
i use this road every day from york to sledmere and hes a brave boy
theres loads of places on this road were you can go into the ditches and they do regulary and the police nearly always patrol this road because of the bikers and its a fast bit of road they even use a helicopter and then stop you in stamford bridge (were he went over the bridge jumping the lights ) but ive never done it in 9mins lol maybe i need my t4 chippin !!!

Ade
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 19:57
My attention span is too short too asses his driving through that rather dull video....

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 20:11
I started to watch it , then i had to quickly take my son football, drop my daughter at her mates, then get some milk ....total round trip 15 miles ... and i got back to watch the end .....Damn forgot my video camera....LOL

t5_monkey
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 20:22
"yeah.... I think I impressed that Peugeot"

No you didn't!

Partially entertaining right up until he gets it all wrong and kills a member of your family, and himself.

volvokid
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 20:23
Ive driven harder than this guy round corners, maybe not for as long a period. The bend he over took on the double whites he could see there was nothing coming, theres a part of road that i use that people over take on and that has double whites that people pass on, there dangerous because by the time there finished your almost finished overtaking and out of the safe overtaking zone. He didn't exactly tail gate and cut people off and he passed when it was ASARP ;)

I don't think he overtook on the brow of a hill I could be wrong I only watched it once and it looked like mist, I thought he was passing on a hill too to start with.

I cant stick up for the guy for his driving because he was in the wrong for most of it due to speeds, but not everyone wants to track there cars and push them as hard as you can.

I wouldn't say I'm a fast driver anymore and haven't been for a long time, but I have had my moments mainly in my dads cars because they tend to be more fun than what my V70 or C70 ever were.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:07
By my reckoning he would have accrued a ban by half way through the clip. Overtaking on junctions, overtaking on ghost islands, jumping red light, speeding in a forty zone (well, speeding most of the time), nasty approach to junction at 3.20 allowing no anticipation of car pulling out - no margin for error. Very marginal overtaking at 2.03, 2.51, 5.16 to 5.22. Not to mention crossing white lines.

Or maybe he is a fantastic driver. Just glad I wasn't going the other way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOFY2kT5LqA

Now I now I sound like a 'Volvo' driver saying this, but I do work with victims of other people's driving - and the consequences are absolutely devastating and permanent. I have had a number of friends killed either on bikes or as pedestrians over the years - so I feel that this guy is taking too many chances (mainly with other people's lives). He is too busy showing off to read the road - with no margin for error.

It happens quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9_E2XAOBRI

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:12
4:03 - Lights are on red - overtaking V70 to get onto the brigde.
4:19 - pushing hard in a 40 - not clever.

There are many more.

Overall hazard awareness seems poor. Does not let up for junctions. It is certainly full bore - but leaves no room for error.

volvokid
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:16
Phil so why drive a tuned 855R on the road?

I ask this question to everyone I know with fast cars, and NO one I know or have met that has a fast road car sticks to the rules all the time.

I was speaking to a guy at work who has just bought a 57 plate RS4 and he said he hasn't had a single drive in it yet were he hasn't excessively broke the law.

p fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:28

I ask this question to everyone I know with fast cars, and NO one I know or have met that has a fast road car sticks to the rules all the time.

I was speaking to a guy at work who has just bought a 57 plate RS4 and he said he hasn't had a single drive in it yet were he hasn't excessively broke the law.
i agree everyone speeds, my problem is this guy intentionally hooked up a camera & went out to speed/impress no matter what the conditions or who else was on the road. I only put my foot down (can i say that when talking about a D5) on totally empty road, i watch the mpg computer too much so rarely go fast then

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:30
I am not saying that, we are innocent - but this video shows an unrelenting push to the limit, with an apparent disregard for everyone else on the road.

It endorses everything that is bad about modified car ownership.

Leave it for the track or the drag strip.

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:31
You say that, yet i worked with a bloke who has had M3 s upto recent one, porsches, and now drives RS4 ... even has them re mapped and chipped but never thrashed or gone over 70mph in any of them and beleive me we used to take the P*** right out of him but he was always to worried to get them dirty, damaged ..... to be honest he changes his every 2 years and they are prob the best examples of these cars and i mean mint.... he just likes the image of the cars and his pleasure is keeping them gleaming and in showroom condition..... and i did nt beleive it myself until he picked us up in this 18 month old M3 2006 that looked like he just walked out the showroom with it and then drove down the motorway @ about 60 mph ...never thrashed it once , my mum drove faster.... so there are people who are just that way

volvokid
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:41
i agree everyone speeds, my problem is this guy intentionally hooked up a camera & went out to speed/impress no matter what the conditions or who else was on the road. I only put my foot down (can i say that when talking about a D5) on totally empty road, i watch the mpg computer too much so rarely go fast then

I agree with everything your saying there, I would never film somthing like that. When ever I'm planning on having a fast blast its usually a quite road. I dint think he was going that mental on most of it, he wasn't hanging around when it came to passing but most of the time either do I if I'm in a rush.

Vikingxl
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:41
You dont have to do more than 70 to break the speed limit though and anyone can drive slowly when proving a point. I got rid of my tuned car as i no longer felt the need to go quickly no one in their right mind would buy an m3 or an RS4 with the intention of driving within the speed limit at all times, these cars are built for a purpose and that purpose is to go fast its almost impossible to drive an RS4 at 30 mph.

By the way the thanks i posted was a press of the wrong button because im old and tired

t5_monkey
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:43
I think the bottom line is the guy isn't a very good driver - not slowing for junctions or showing any anticipation, relying on others to drive error free.

Everyone bends the rules sometime, the rules can't legislate for someone with no imagination about how other people may get it wrong - and cause you to crash into them.

For the record - I always do my best to obey 30 limits as I've had drunk pedestrians jump out into the road on me before - and believe me stuff like that can happen very fast when you least expect it, and drive at a speed that probably won't result in a speed camera ticket on the M-way.

Enjoying driving doesn't mean driving like a plank! just driving within your skill level and taking consideration of the weather, traffic and general conditions (which the guy in the film clearly wasn't)

PaulZX
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:46
Wanna see a T5 bein driven hard fast and safely for 7 solid mins??

Watch my vid at silverstone... I overtook 21 cars and got over took twice... see how I catch and leave the cossie.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt4YhTNJZzQ

volvokid
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:50
You say that, yet i worked with a bloke who has had M3 s upto recent one, porsches, and now drives RS4 ... even has them re mapped and chipped but never thrashed or gone over 70mph in any of them and beleive me we used to take the P*** right out of him but he was always to worried to get them dirty, damaged ..... to be honest he changes his every 2 years and they are prob the best examples of these cars and i mean mint.... he just likes the image of the cars and his pleasure is keeping them gleaming and in showroom condition..... and i did nt beleive it myself until he picked us up in this 18 month old M3 2006 that looked like he just walked out the showroom with it and then drove down the motorway @ about 60 mph ...never thrashed it once , my mum drove faster.... so there are people who are just that way

There's not much people out there like that, but I do have a V70R that I've hardly driven in the 6 years I've owned it because I want to keep it as good as I can ;) I get more fun cleaning it than I do driving it, but I've still managed to put a smile on my face after a drive in it, even if I've felt bad for thrashing it thats what it was built for.

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:51
i know exactly what your saying and i did nt beleive it till i met him....even his wife does nt see the point in the cars he has .....but gotta say you would love to buy a car off him....my mate who used to work for him bought his M3 E46 2002....2 years old with 5,000 on the clock ... not a stone chip, scuff, mark on it ... i had never seen a car so clean.....personally i just think the bloke is weird ....just more into the image of owning these cars....amongst all our mates its a personal joke about himand his cars

volvokid
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:59
I must be a very poor driver, I never slow for junctions on a road I know, in fact i never slow for junctions full stop (unless its not my rite away :) ) but I'm usually observant of them. I only have fun on roads I know, I get too uncomfortable driving at excessive speed and sometimes within the legal limit on roads I don't know.

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 23:06
I must be a very poor driver, I never slow for junctions on a road I know, in fact i never slow for junctions full stop (unless its not my rite away :) ) but I'm usually observant of them. I only have fun on roads I know, I get too uncomfortable driving at excessive speed and sometimes within the legal limit on roads I don't know.

I am pretty much the same, every now and then i like a blast but thats not for long and usually on a dual carriageway/ motorway but to be honest quite happy to poodle at 70mph, then when i see a d**k then i like to show em up...lol....

Jimmie
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 23:22
when i see a d**k then i like to show em up...lol....

So you admit you race,speed on the open road?
Thanks for being honest because anyone that says they dont is a liar and that was from a traffic cop.

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 23:30
Me .. never admitted anything ....i said i like to show them up... i do this by shouting at them as they go past and pointing.....LOL also i like to blast the car with in the speed limit of the road and upto the correct distance i should be behind the car in front...

stu_850t5
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 23:45
well said kee1173! lol

we have a traffic copper on this forum?

Jimmie
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 23:51
we have a traffic copper on this forum?

We have more than one but they dont often comment,good bunch though.lol

Jamest5r
Friday 4th March 2011, 00:05
"Everyone" can see you on a public forum, i have no idea if Jimmie is a traffic officer or not, but it makes no difference, yes i think we all would admit to speeding in a "safe" manner sometimes that's life, but never driving like a knob, if i want to race i pay my £20 at avon and race all day.

stu_850t5
Friday 4th March 2011, 00:17
We have more than one but they dont often comment,good bunch though.lol

suppose its expected on a volvo forum. im yet to find a "good/nice" traffic copper. very difficult around essex it seems???

p fandango
Friday 4th March 2011, 00:22
im yet to find a "good/nice" traffic copper.
i've met plenty of good & bad, my first look round a T-5 was from the back of a police one lol

volvokid
Friday 4th March 2011, 00:31
i've met plenty of good & bad, my first look round a T-5 was from the back of a police one lol

And all I got was the back seat of an Omiga arg!!!! Still a clean drivers slip though.... now weres that wood i need to touch.

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 00:37
i remember when i was just 17-18 and living in romford, at night you could nt get very far without being pulled and that was for doing nothing " routine check "... in one week i got pulled over 8 times and i was doing nothing wrong just routine checks....lol best one was tho was when i got tugged and the copper who pulled me had left his handbrake off and it rolled into my car.... mind you they would nt pay up for the dent in the back ....

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 00:41
[QUOTE=volvokid;364299]And all I got was the back seat of an Omiga arg!!!!
[/QUOTE
when i started driving the motorway cops had Carltons.....think i laughed when they got T5s.....thought what the hell a volvo gonna catch...now i am glad i did nt get on the wrong side of one ...LOL

Flatout Phil
Friday 4th March 2011, 08:26

Speed per se is not the real problem, it is aggression. This guy thinks he s a great driver, but is pretty messy, has little anticipation, and is very aggressive. Aggression - the red mist - is what leads to accidents. Of course my R is very fast, but in the right place, and not to show off. At 45 I guess I am past the worse of feeling I need to prove anything very much - or having to do it with my car, because me alone is not good enough. The bloke in the film seems to get his ego boost from the belief that others might be impressed by his naff driving: terrified maybe.

Of course I drive hard, and enjoy the thrill of acceleration and speed, drving with skill, smoothness but SAFETY and always keeping in 'the envelope'. Now I really am going to sound old skool Volvo - the old Police Roadcraft Manual really is a worthwhile read.
One of the benefits of a powerful car is that you CAN afford to slow down going through junctions. I had a dragon of a driving instructor, two practices she always insisted on was slowing or covering the brake through junctions and looking left and right before going through green light junctions. Oh I am SUCH AN OLD FART! But it has worked so far.

Now that is tempting fate...

SKIDMARKS
Friday 4th March 2011, 08:58
It is possible to drive energetically, but in the right conditions. Not to put others at risk...ie mums with the kids in the car or a 70 year old that is ready to have a heart attack. You never know who you are overtaking ( at high speed )

Every one should take a drive in something similar to my other car if they get a chance. Yer arse is 80mm from the ground wind in the hair and you can smell what the bloke in front has just had for dinner. You realise just how vunerable you are on the road without the security and insulated effect a tin box has. Makes you very alert, as if you get it wrong you are probably dead.

Ps...another old fart giving his opinion

Murphy
Friday 4th March 2011, 09:51
The illegal manoeuvres over double white's, and skipping a red light would definitely earn some points etc. That was not the worse of it, I know a couple of you pointed this out, but this guys hazard perception is non existent. This is where his luck will run out. Moving out on oncoming cars to give himself 100000000000th of a second more time to make the manoeuvre is crazy, speeding past junctions, field entry/exit's etc he will end up killing someone, and those that profess to do the same need to reevaluate the way you drive. For what it takes to slow down, have you considered the consequences of killing someone even if you are not directly responsible. This does happen and price is high....

*not an old fart yet, but a biker.

Al115
Friday 4th March 2011, 10:04
Every one should take a drive in something similar to my other car if they get a chance. Yer arse is 80mm from the ground wind in the hair and you can smell what the bloke in front has just had for dinner. You realise just how vunerable you are on the road without the security and insulated effect a tin box has.

That's actually why I like convertible sports cars. You don't have to go as fast to get the sensation of speed and enjoy the drive.

jez.w
Friday 4th March 2011, 11:10
The illegal manoeuvres over double white's, and skipping a red light would definitely earn some points etc. That was not the worse of it, I know a couple of you pointed this out, but this guys hazard perception is non existent. This is where his luck will run out. Moving out on oncoming cars to give himself 100000000000th of a second more time to make the manoeuvre is crazy, speeding past junctions, field entry/exit's etc he will end up killing someone, and those that profess to do the same need to reevaluate the way you drive. For what it takes to slow down, have you considered the consequences of killing someone even if you are not directly responsible. This does happen and price is high....

*not an old fart yet, but a biker.

Could not agree more, this consistant overtaking is very risky on busy-ish twisty country roads. His luck will run out sooner or later. Anybody on here who thinks its ok is either immature or stupid. Its totally unacceptable to drive like that, it would only take someone to pull out from a junction or turn right while he is on the wrong side overtaking to have a very bad crash and probably kill someone! At these speeds and over taking a line of cars you have nowhere to go if something happens in front of you. How can you overtake at those speeds pasts junctions on the wrong side of the road hoping that nobody will pull out? You have to drive anticipating that the worst could happen and he didnt anticipate anything. This driver is chuckling to himself but really it shows him as being immature. These are exactly the people who should be getting banned as they dont realise what they are doing wrong, and they are very, very probably going to cause an accident. When someone you know is killed as a result of a reckless driver like this, it will sink in....WHY?

I overtake regularly at speed and break the speed limit a bit but this video is just stupid. Noboby should be justifying this video, im angry that forum members think its ok??????

lance
Friday 4th March 2011, 11:21

Me 2 I sat in the back of several T5s before I got the pleasure of being behind the wheel most of them had awfull blue seats IRRC.

The main problems I have with the R driver is
1 filming it
2 undertaking (Ok most of us have done it one time or another)
3 Undertaking on roundabout (down right stupid)
4 Overtaking to jump a red light on a bridge (very FFing stupid)
5 Speeding heavily on the approach to junctions (deathly dangerous)
6 Very risky overtaking Mullti vehicles and double white lines etc ( not enough room for error and illegal
7 Speeding in non restricted areas ie 30s or 40s
8 Using more road than neccessary,this leaves little room for error and is treating the road like a race track.

I learnt my lesson and taught one about 5 or 6 years ago in Miss Whiplash I was minding my own buisness driving at 30 MPH in a 30 in a cue of traffic 10PM at night and a nob in a brand new Mondeo ST undertook me in a bus lane and continued to weave in and out the traffic undertaking overtaking getting flashed and beeped by other motorists. A mile or so up the road I arrived at some traffic lights in the outside lane and who was there, yeap ST ****!
So I gunned it I thought I would show him real power! City centre street no pedestrian insight and a clear 3 lane bit of road 1st 40 mph 2nd 65 odd mph 3rd 90-95mph on the brakes down to 2nd at 55-60mph for a sharp right hander and another red light and a roundabout as I pulled up I heard a massive scretch and bang I looked in my mirror he was in the middle lane
and lost it scretching into the inside lane hitting a lamp post and bus stop (Thank God there was no one at the bus stop or on the pavement) I could see his ST wasnt going anywhere Airbag gone off a right mess the lights changed I drove home slowly, I went back in the Mrs car and the police where there, I checked the news for a week or 2 and bought the local papers.
Racing aint clever and I was a ****!
Im not a saint I have points to prove that but I dont speed in built up areas or race on the roads I do have favorite bit of road where I do open my cars up safely without risk to others or indeed myself.

Jimmie
Friday 4th March 2011, 11:30
Have any of you watched it in slow motion or been on any driving courses?

jez.w
Friday 4th March 2011, 11:32

I dont think you need to???????????

Jimmie
Friday 4th March 2011, 11:41
I overtake regularly at speed and break the speed limit a bit but this video is just stupid. Noboby should be justifying this video, im angry that forum members think its ok??????

Look at the video again and compare how you have driven,might have been in the past but never the less.

lance
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:11

No and I cant be bothered, In terms of driving courses I learnt to drive when I was 9 in my Dads company car on an old airfield and my Dad an ex raf pilot who taught me had 15 years worth of IAM medals from the 60s and 70s. I have also read up a bit on road craft and the like. Not that I am the best driver I usually get slaughted on the 1/4 mile strip and round the go cart track but I think im a safe driver 99% of the time

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:12
In my much younger days i used to drive like a D**k, only for a year or so and the same as you Lance had a very close call once and that woke me up, also when my wife had our first child i was mister over cautious with our new baby in the car and would go mad if anyone was racing up behind or driving like a D**k, then it dawned on me to think i had done things like that not realising that in front could be a mum with her kids etc to be honest it made me feel sick to think what i could have done...i am not sayin its the case of everyone but i know once i had a family and cherished every moment of them and would protect them from harm, it has changed my driving style dramatically and also made me respect others on the road.... An example i can remember was when i was on holiday in cornwall, me holiding my then 3 year old daughters hand and the missus had our 1 year old son in his buggy ( i was 27 then) was walking out of the sites club thru the car park, now this is at midnight on a caravan park...all of a sudden a young kid in his flashed up fiesta came flying into the car park from no where , skidding round the corner and cause going so fast mounted the pavement we were walking along as could nt making the turn.....it was luckily one of them moments i could see it before it happened, i threw my daughter towards my wife as he was aiming right at us ( my wife was just a lil bit in front )and i had to dive out the way ( sounds like something off a movie..but it was just like it) when i got up he had stopped as in car park no where to go but i could him and his mates laughin.. when they saw i got up they tried to reverse out but i stopped the car , needless to say i dragged him out which ended up in me lets just say putting both him and his mate off doing it again....but my point is after that happening to me it just goes to show when you are doing what this guy did in the video dont matter if your jenson button ..you never know whats waitng round the corner... My dad would be so proud...im just like you now Dad LOL

volvokid
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:26
There is no difference from making one overtake to a seires of passes. Over taken when there is a junction to your right is a different story!

jez.w
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:32
Look at the video again and compare how you have driven,might have been in the past but never the less.

I dont get what you are getting at??? I have never ever driven anything like this, as i say i am disgusted by the video. There are innocent people on the road who could have their lives ruined in an instant by this idiot.

t5_monkey
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:35
fast and good is OK, slow and crap is OK.

Problem is... this guy on the vid is fast and crap!

He thinks he's clever, funny a tasty driver etc... until you're identifying your next of kin in a Morgue - no time for people like this.

accelerating through junctions where you can't see what's pulling up to enter your road space and overtaking past RH turn junctions - utterly inexcusable.

jez.w
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:36
There is no difference from making one overtake to a seires of passes. Over taken when there is a junction to your right is a different story!

Would you be happy to strap your small children in the back of this car (if you have any) and let him do the same again?? I think not. It's not a computer game where there are no consequences.........

volvokid
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:41
Would you be happy to strap your small children in the back of this car (if you have any) and let him do the same again?? I think not. It's not a computer game where there are no consequences.........

I never said i would, but answer my question whats the difference?

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:43
the thing i would say is the difference between overtaking one car is is that it is a short burst of speed, when overtaking multi cars your speed would be increasing and also makes it harder to pull in if you need to, but the other thing is say one of the multi cars decides to also start to over take the car he is behind,he may not see you and pulll straight into you, i say this cause i have seen this happen...
I am not saying you personally by the way, just looking at all the you s i have put in ....LOL

jez.w
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:53
the thing i would say is the difference between overtaking one car is is that it is a short burst of speed, when overtaking multi cars your speed would be increasing and also makes it harder to pull in if you need to, but the other thing is say one of the multi cars decides to also start to over take the car he is behind,he may not see you and pulll straight into you, i say this cause i have seen this happen...
I am not saying you personally by the way, just looking at all the you s i have put in ....LOL

i totally agree, overtaking multiple cars etc is obviously more dangerous however you look at it.

volvokid
Friday 4th March 2011, 12:56

I wast meaning him passing more than one car at a time, i ment making multiple single overtakes. I only watched the vid once and i dont think he passed much cars in one go 2 maybe 3 was it? Thats hardly mental if its passable. Im probably a slower driver than most that have replyed to this thats why i think its funny, i average mid 50's in my car between most fill ups, so i cant be that stuppid!

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 13:03
Not saying you are..just answering the question but if you watched all the vid, he overtakes about 7- 8 cars in 1 hit and that is what i answered to... must be the way the question was put, thought you said whats the diff between overtaking one car and over taking a series of cars .. but i thought you meant at once......

jez.w
Friday 4th March 2011, 13:22
I wast meaning him passing more than one car at a time, i ment making multiple single overtakes. I only watched the vid once and i dont think he passed much cars in one go 2 maybe 3 was it? Thats hardly mental if its passable. Im probably a slower driver than most that have replyed to this thats why i think its funny, i average mid 50's in my car between most fill ups, so i cant be that stuppid!

There is nothing worse than a car who sqeezes back in when doing multiple overtakes, and by forcing their way back in causes everyone to brake and all the gaps between the moving vechicles to close up.

volvokid
Friday 4th March 2011, 13:33
Not saying you are..just answering the question but if you watched all the vid, he overtakes about 7- 8 cars in 1 hit and that is what i answered to... must be the way the question was put, thought you said whats the diff between overtaking one car and over taking a series of cars .. but i thought you meant at once......

Ah ok i cant remember that part, it not ideal but ive done it in the past if theres a que of cars that arent passing mr slow in front, i guess when you do that you just have to gauge the way the other cars are driving, it can be done safe enough under the rite circumstances.

Im not totally sticking up for this guys driving style, it just seems to be when speed is ever mentioned on hear the same people jump at it, why drive a fast car.... i know people die due to speed and i know people on here have lost people due to speed, but almost everyone on here will do it.

Its easy to judge peoples driving styles when watching a video, video yourself going round a track and see how critical people will be of your driving. I didnt write video on the road and show people it becuase thats wrong....

volvokid
Friday 4th March 2011, 13:41
There is nothing worse than a car who sqeezes back in when doing multiple overtakes, and by forcing their way back in causes everyone to brake and all the gaps between the moving vechicles to close up.

So your telling me that you never overtake more than one car at a single time? Well if the car has had to squeeze its way in it due to people not leaving a big enough gap, i hate drivers who have no intention to overtake but they will all drive huddled together, i have very few stone chips on the front of my v40 becuase i leave a massive gap and i do 100 miles a day to work, i would give you a pound for every chip you find on the R

jez.w
Friday 4th March 2011, 13:58
So your telling me that you never overtake more than one car at a single time? Well if the car has had to squeeze its way in it due to people not leaving a big enough gap, i hate drivers who have no intention to overtake but they will all drive huddled together, i have very few stone chips on the front of my v40 becuase i leave a massive gap and i do 100 miles a day to work, i would give you a pound for every chip you find on the R

Yes i have overtaken more than 2 cars in one go but not like you see on the video. There is no anticipation shown for other cars, junctions etc.

If traffic is doing the speed limit why overtake long lines of cars, just go with the flow.

I do 18000 miles a year mainly driving to work and back, and using clear country roads but i wouldnt overtake like this.
This guy has broken several speed limits (by a long way as it sounds like its reving out in 3rd), run a red light, overtaken on a double white line, and driven recklessly by overtaking dangerously near juntions and bends multiple times. He could get banned twice over just in the video.

We have all done silly driving at times but this video is beyond reasonable, this guy has even posted it to brag???????????

t5_monkey
Friday 4th March 2011, 14:49
Ah ok i cant remember that part, it not ideal but ive done it in the past if theres a que of cars that arent passing mr slow in front, i guess when you do that you just have to gauge the way the other cars are driving, it can be done safe enough under the rite circumstances.

Im not totally sticking up for this guys driving style, it just seems to be when speed is ever mentioned on hear the same people jump at it, why drive a fast car.... i know people die due to speed and i know people on here have lost people due to speed, but almost everyone on here will do it.

Its easy to judge peoples driving styles when watching a video, video yourself going round a track and see how critical people will be of your driving. I didnt write video on the road and show people it becuase thats wrong....

That's kinda the point - he should have been videoing himself around a track driving as fast as he dares... NOT the road! :) and if you don't want to be commented on it's quite easy to simply not upload the video.

Im not totally sticking up for this guys driving style, it just seems to be when speed is ever mentioned on hear the same people jump at it, why drive a fast car....

Cause you can still enjoy it without driving like the guy on the video ? :)

http://pic.epicfail.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/driving-fail-car-stuck-sand-beach.jpg

Flatout Phil
Friday 4th March 2011, 14:59
I'm just waiting for someone on here (or another forum) to say -It was me!

Now that would be interesting...;)

t5_monkey
Friday 4th March 2011, 15:00
I'm just waiting for someone on here (or another forum) to say -It was me!

Now that would be interesting...;)

He'd still be a fanny... just a forum using fanny :)

lance
Friday 4th March 2011, 15:05
Someone in Yorkshire with a V70 R P2 but Im guessing its a few years old did anyone see the 60s Aston Martin in the video couldnt quite tell if was a DB4, 5 or 6¬ and a sierra! It could be 4 or 5 yrs old.

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 15:13
Also looking i noticed a brown leaf on the ground... and a boy with a woolly hat ..this would indicate november/ december time... also i am concluding the speed he was doing that the fuel prices were low...this and with other factors i have seen.. i beleive this was shot on 27th November 2005 @ 16.47pm.... give or take a second.....LOL

p fandango
Friday 4th March 2011, 16:01
Also looking i noticed a brown leaf on the ground... and a boy with a woolly hat ..this would indicate november/ december time... also i am concluding the speed he was doing that the fuel prices were low...this and with other factors i have seen.. i beleive this was shot on 27th November 2005 @ 16.47pm.... give or take a second.....LOL
starting the video saying "lets rock" proves it was obviously done in the 1970's lol

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 16:05
i took this into account....but i detected from my deducing skills that this was an overweight man who has nt moved on ...we know he is overweigt for if you listen to the video carefully you can periodically canhear the rustling of crisps and his speech is sometimes muffled as he stuffs his face...Also when he says " Lets Rock" no one replies signifying people cringing in their seat... suggesting that the expression is sorely out of date..... LOL ....i must be bored LOL

p fandango
Friday 4th March 2011, 16:14
i took this into account....but i detected from my deducing skills that this was an overweight man who has nt moved on ...we know he is overweigt for if you listen to the video carefully you can periodically canhear the rustling of crisps and his speech is sometimes muffled as he stuffs his face...Also when he says " Lets Rock" no one replies signifying people cringing in their seat... suggesting that the expression is sorely out of date..... LOL ....i must be bored LOL
you could be onto something there Mrs Marple :wink: lol

kee1173
Friday 4th March 2011, 16:28
Miss marple on weekend only..... more a Sherlock during week >>>LOL

Flatout Phil
Friday 4th March 2011, 20:41
It is possible to drive energetically, but in the right conditions. Not to put others at risk...ie mums with the kids in the car or a 70 year old that is ready to have a heart attack. You never know who you are overtaking ( at high speed )

Every one should take a drive in something similar to my other car if they get a chance. Yer arse is 80mm from the ground wind in the hair and you can smell what the bloke in front has just had for dinner. You realise just how vunerable you are on the road without the security and insulated effect a tin box has. Makes you very alert, as if you get it wrong you are probably dead.

Ps...another old fart giving his opinion

You must have very short legs if your arse is only 80mm off the ground...

SKIDMARKS
Friday 4th March 2011, 21:31
You must have very short legs if your arse is only 80mm off the ground...

:haha:

T5Rdragon
Saturday 5th March 2011, 23:31
Have to say, I watched this with no sound, so dont know what was being said/heard, but in silence, most of that seemed OK to me - dont know what speeds were being hit of course, but most overtaking seemed safe and fairly courteous. the only problems I have was when he was a tit through the red light over the bridge, when he did the overtake and slammed on the braked behind the horsebox and of course taking the white lines before they finished. A couple of his overtakes seemed a bit blind from the camera's point of view, but then the human eye has a far greater resolution, has depth perception and can see further, so who's to say the couple of blind overtakes weren't actually so blind to the driver?

If he has been barging in, swooping into different lanes to undertake and weave around traffic, then that would be being a bell end. But from what I saw, 80% of this guy's drive looked fine

Flatout Phil
Sunday 6th March 2011, 06:58
Have to say, I watched this with no sound, so dont know what was being said/heard, but in silence, most of that seemed OK to me - dont know what speeds were being hit of course, but most overtaking seemed safe and fairly courteous. the only problems I have was when he was a tit through the red light over the bridge, when he did the overtake and slammed on the braked behind the horsebox and of course taking the white lines before they finished. A couple of his overtakes seemed a bit blind from the camera's point of view, but then the human eye has a far greater resolution, has depth perception and can see further, so who's to say the couple of blind overtakes weren't actually so blind to the driver?

If he has been barging in, swooping into different lanes to undertake and weave around traffic, then that would be being a bell end. But from what I saw, 80% of this guy's drive looked fine

As any woman would say, it is the extra 20% that makes all the difference when it comes to a bell-end...;)

Jimmie
Sunday 6th March 2011, 12:43

At last someone talking some sense ( i also had no sound)as we have all done what the guy did wrong apart from the videoing himself unless you are a little angle that doesn't do anything wrong.
Passing on the corners looked fine to me because he set the car up in the overtaking position and we have all had to squeese in behind a car at some point when overtaking.
Speed might have been an issue but i did not see a speedo neither did anyone
else.

p fandango
Sunday 6th March 2011, 13:20
At last someone talking some sense ( i also had no sound)as we have all done what the guy did wrong apart from the videoing himself unless you are a little angle that doesn't do anything wrong.
Passing on the corners looked fine to me because he set the car up in the overtaking position and we have all had to squeese in behind a car at some point when overtaking.
else.
hate to disappoint you but no we haven't all done that, if i can't see upto where i expect to pull in is clear then i don't overtake especially round a corner. As for squeezing in again no, if i can't overtake without disrupting others & there driving then i wait till i can see the road is clear enough to overtake them all

t5_monkey
Sunday 6th March 2011, 13:49
else.

I don't force my way in either - esp on those dodgy Scottish B roads thats how people get killed.

As for speed... he reaches what appears to be max revs in 3rd... we all know that's about 90-100mph depending on the Volvo.

Jimmie
Sunday 6th March 2011, 14:17
What i could see from the video was a deliberate jumping of the red light.
Crossing the white line line which ws wrong but he positioned his car to see and he had time to come in behind the 4X4 when passing the line of traffic.
The ka even pulled away from him in one section.
What i would have classed as highly dangerous was the weather conditions.
Im glad that there are so many A1 drivers on this forum but drive fast volvos.
Whats happened to the smiley's?

kee1173
Sunday 6th March 2011, 15:03
Crossing the white line line which ws wrong but he positioned his car to see and he had time to come in behind the 4X4 when passing the line of traffic.

This is just out of curiousity.... but on one of my posts you commented you was a traffic cop....if you was following this man , you are saying you would nt nick him...i ask because then i might have an idea on wht ican and cant do on the road, coming from a traffic cop...

t5_monkey
Sunday 6th March 2011, 15:51

I'd be very surprised a cop wouldn't have pulled him over for his efforts - even excluding the light jump.

That's frankly ripping the piss when I got done and 3 points for momentarily accelerating to 45 in a 30 limit in 2nd gear ... (which was a straight clear dual carriage with no traffic on it) and the copper even commented that there was nothing unsafe or aggressive about my driving.

Just shows if they don't have a speed gun or camera pointed at you they don't give a ****

kee1173
Sunday 6th March 2011, 15:53
I'd be very surprised a cop wouldn't have pulled him over for his efforts - even excluding the light jump.

That's frankly ripping the piss when I got done and 3 points for momentarily accelerating to 45 in a 30 limit (which was a straight clear dual carriage with no traffic on it)

well, thats what i would think, in my youth i have been pulled and penalised for a lot lot less...thats why i was curious?