PDA

View Full Version : is there a thread on how to refurb alloys

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 12:16
Is there a thread on here on how to refurb alloys yourself, if there is can some one put a link to it...basically i have 4 comets on the R that 1 is silver, 1 is a steel colour and the other 2 are the original anthracite, so i want to do them all the same plus the 2 original have kerbing and paint is bubbling...so kinda hoping if there was a step by step guide on here...i know how i will tackle them but just want to make sure i am right or any lil tips ..... come on Pedro i know you must have some pics on here for me .....LOL

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 13:32
Is there a thread on here on how to refurb alloys yourself, if there is can some one put a link to it...basically i have 4 comets on the R that 1 is silver, 1 is a steel colour and the other 2 are the original anthracite, so i want to do them all the same plus the 2 original have kerbing and paint is bubbling...so kinda hoping if there was a step by step guide on here...i know how i will tackle them but just want to make sure i am right or any lil tips ..... come on Pedro i know you must have some pics on here for me .....LOL

Not one here but sensible enough: http://chrishowells.co.uk/?page_id=252

Halfords sell all the kit if you can't buy it anywhere better ;)

Word of warning though, refinishers earn a lot because they can get a good finish. DIY can work, but you may spend a lot of time getting a 2nd rate result. That said, at between £160 - £240 for a refurb, that may be OK.
You can exchange Comets on Ebay for a set of refurbs for about £240 I think.

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 20:04
Cheers Phil, just want to tidy them up for the mo, then i will either exchange them ( seen the company on ebay) or get them pro re furbed ..... usual mate all down to pennys at mo lol

Tomcat
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 21:03
Gotta agree, unless your experienced and you have access to a compressor and a gun then you're not going to get a good finish or a decent amount of paint on. As much as you want to do it yourself you'd probably be better paying someone to do them for you.

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 21:21
i do agree with you both, just at the mo got 2 odd coloured andthe other 2 a quite tatty so definately could nt make them worse LOL...just wanted to do them to take the eye off them a bit till i can afford to get them done properly, as at the mo spending a bit getting running tip top ( at my mates at the mo for an overhaul, MOT etc) ...thanks tho chaps will have a look at the link...

cherry1809
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 22:07
Not really any good to you, But my friend drinks with the bloke who runs A1 metal finishing in Exeter. Does them for £35 a wheel.

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 22:10
might be going to Cornwall this summer.....wonder if wife and kids will mind if i do a diversion to Exeter....or better still , pretend to get lost, act surprised when i see the place, then say whilst we re here darling, and get them done ..... LOL

cherry1809
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 22:26
Lol :D
If you get a chance, Go down to the Minack theatre at Porthcurno.
Nice place and a wickedly steep footpath to a gorgeous beach.

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 22:36
Walking on crutches at mo as back in bad way....sounds like that would do me a treat LMAO....just told wife about post and she said quote " MMMM Devon sounds nice we have nt been there....mind you did tell her Exeter was like Marbella" LOL

Missus just said that Porthcurno would be my punishment if i dared take her to a car place on our holiday...nice ....LOL

daveforber
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 22:45
I did this, roughly following that guide and did, to be fair, an 'adequate' job. It was the first time I'd ever sprayed anything so didn't realise why half the steps were necessary. Which is why the finish wasn't perfect. Basically you do want to fill in any kerbing damage and you do want to sand back imperfections when you prime it. And you don't want to paint too much at any one time, or it'll run.

However, despite my laziness it was a vast improvement on what was there and cost probably £40 in materials for 4x17" wheels (visible side only).

I say give it a go. If it all goes tits up, you've probably binned £40; if not, you've saved £100 on the £35 a wheel job. As I say, my half baked job was still a significant improvement and lasted well over a year until I bent the things to buggery on a pot hole.

kee1173
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 22:49
Definately gonna give it ago, as i say they are bad at the mo and could nt make em worse and least they would all match, just need em to last 6 months or so then i can do the more important bits ( upgrading the lump) and do wheels properly last of all....

Redbrick
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 08:38
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16703&highlight=refurb+nebula&page=2

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?p=184217#post184217

Would I do it again?

Yes but over a few baking hot summer days which are so unpredictable these days. It speeds up the drying process.

I would get them acid dipped before starting as we wasted a day grit blasting them down to what we thought was base metal but was in fact primer that then reacted with my paint.

Some of the 'pro' jobs I've seen my 5 year old could have done a better job- and I paid top money for a pro job only to find the lacquer peeling after six months!

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 11:34
Cheers mate.... ill prob put a barrier coat on em once cleaned and see how that goes, but not to worried as look terrible at mo, by the way how much does your 5 year old charge?....LOL