PDA

View Full Version : lowering my r

si850r
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 20:11
hi all

If I want to lower my 850, can I just change the springs or do I need to change the shocks as well??

cheers again.....

Al115
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 20:15
Depends if it's an estate, and if it is, whether or not it has Nivomat self-levelling shocks on the rear.

If YES - you need to change those shocks (at least).

If NO - you can get away without.

nobananas
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 20:17
Ideally you want to fit a kit that have the springs and shocks matched as a package but a lot of people experiment with different springs and shocks. The only trouble with fitting springs on their own is that if the shocks are already past their best then the new springs will work them harder and may cause the handling to be worse rather than better. You also have to make considerations if you have self levelling Nivomats on the rear.

Al115
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 20:25
As nobananas says. Matched shocks and springs all round is really the way to go. Else you'll change the looks and bugger up the handling...

si850r
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 20:49
ive read somewhere about how to see the self levelling ...is there a way of doing that or are they coloured different?

Cheers again

Volvostorm
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 20:57
You can tell by looking at them, if they have gaiters on them, they are self-levellers, if they don't, they are normal shocks.

SKIDMARKS
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 21:09
Just changed all mine and when I was thinking of replacing with standards rufe advised from the numbers on my chassis plate that it had Nivomats.

Took the old ones off and they are ordinary dampers, unless they had been changed before, but the ones that came off were Volvo items ??!!

LiamT4
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 21:16
Another way to tell, is to put some weight in the boot, drive round the block and see if its still level.

t5 pete
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 21:21
The t5 ive just taken in if deffinatly lowered but havent has chance to look if there lowering spring or if the standard spring have been cut if they are lowering spring ill have them for sale