PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if my car is boosting correctly

swedehead
Monday 25th July 2005, 20:02
Greetings all, I have a '96 standard T5 estate with 125k on clock. When booting the car the turbo gauge only goes about 1/5 of the way into the white section. Is this right? If I could get a calibrated gauge - what should the boost presure be?

Also, does anyone have any experience of the Powertek boost control valve. They are presently selling on ebay for £29.

Al115
Monday 25th July 2005, 20:20
I think standard is 0.7 bar / 10psi?

Someone else will surely correct me if I'm wrong!

Alastair

M44K TS
Monday 25th July 2005, 20:54
i'm considering one of those boost control valves, i was annoyingly beaten (just) by a mate in a brand new Cupra R Leon, mind you they do pack a punch of 225bhp!

i need my car faster!

Justin
Monday 25th July 2005, 20:56
If your car is running correctly, the boost gauge (if working reasonably accurately should go just past half way and more if its running well, sounds like you have a problem mate :(

dave
Monday 25th July 2005, 21:14
i'm considering one of those boost control valves, i was annoyingly beaten (just) by a mate in a brand new Cupra R Leon, mind you they do pack a punch of 225bhp!

i need my car faster!

i thought it was a bad idea putting a boost valve on a modern engine, no control over air and fuel mixture?

dave

Ross9
Monday 25th July 2005, 21:35
as long as you dont go outside of the fuel map then there is control. ECU reads what the boost and airflow is and adjusts fuelling and timing accordingly, not as good as a proper remap, but still works.

We were getting 36 bhp and 40/45 lb/ft peak over standard on Jacqs T4 with a de-cat and boost control valve running 1.1 bar as opposed the standard 0.9

Ross

thunderace
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 21:18
If your car is running correctly, the boost gauge (if working reasonably accurately should go just past half way and more if its running well, sounds like you have a problem mate :(

Presumably that is approx 1/4 way into the white section of the dial?

dicky b t5
Tuesday 26th July 2005, 22:09
Presumably that is approx 1/4 way into the white section of the dial?

I think Justin means 1/2 way into the white section...!
My 850 T5 has just clocked up 144k on the original Turbo , The Boost needle
goes to about 3/4 in the white (about 5 1/2k Revs) when you kick down and pulls like a bl**dy Train , Its awsome . I dont know if its just that i've got a good Turbo , But a few people before have said their's don't even reach half way...! Happy Day's. :B_steerin

splatt
Wednesday 27th July 2005, 00:40
Mine had a similar prob..took it to VT and they sorted out the wastegate actuator which was causing low boost..needle goes right to the end stop now!

'95R
Thursday 28th July 2005, 03:16
Well, is the problem a new thing, or has the boost level always been 1/5th of the way into the white?

Also, do you notice any odd sounds coming from the engine, like whooooshing sounds (rushing air), because that could be a boost leak at one of the boost hoses.

If not, then your wastegate may just need to be adjusted.