PDA

View Full Version : S60 boot latch stuck open

straight5
Monday 28th February 2011, 09:02
My boot latch has become stuck in the open position so my boot lid can't be locked or latched at all.

Last time I had this a year ago I first tried loosening the latch assembly and it then released into the closed position meaning I could lock the boot but it would not unlock on the central locking so only way to open was from inside pulling the metal wire. (Had the foresight to put a seat down and leave the mechanism exposed) So I bought a 2nd hand boot latch and replaced it. Now this one has done the same. Is it worth risking another 2nd hand one at £30ish or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? Think they're about £80.

Anyone got one spare or got any tips for fixing the existing one?

All advice gratefully received.

p fandango
Monday 28th February 2011, 11:07
i've never heard of anyone else having a problem with the boot latches on them before so i'd risk another secondhand one myself

Vikingxl
Monday 28th February 2011, 11:59
Storm Troll had this issue and we were going to get around to trying to fix the old one as he fitted a shiny new one but he hasnt bought it over yet i will chase him uo about it later

straight5
Monday 28th February 2011, 15:51
Is it worth me getting a 2nd hand one off a much newer car. Seen a 2008 car in the scrapyard. Is it likely they changed the boot latch when the car had a facelift?

Vikingxl
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 20:41
Storm troll has misplaced the lock so will have to wait for him to find it sorry

Rufe
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 10:51
i've never heard of anyone else having a problem with the boot latches on them before so i'd risk another secondhand one myself

Boot locks and door locks have been a long time issue with many models since the 850 series, S60 included.

straight5
Wednesday 2nd March 2011, 12:17
Well I have taken the risk and ordered another 2nd hand one. Off a 53 plate so I'm told, couldn't get one off a newer car. It was either £37 delivered or £100 for a new one, and that was WITH Rufe's very excellent discount. Just have to cross my fingers that this one lasts.