PDA

View Full Version : Uprated ignition system

rick84
Sunday 20th February 2011, 21:26
Hi,
Are there any benefits of getting uprated coil, HT leads, plugs for a 940 turbo aiming towards 280+ BHP? Can you get uprated rotor arm and dis cap or are they all pretty much standard? I have a b230fk, IPD turbo camshaft and wheel on its way, eventually a 19T or similar turbo upgrade.
Thanks,
Rick

t5_monkey
Sunday 20th February 2011, 21:35
Don't know the answer to your question... but sounds like a cool project! you got any photos of it ? :)

smithy
Sunday 20th February 2011, 22:04
Hi,
Are there any benefits of getting uprated coil, HT leads, plugs for a 940 turbo aiming towards 280+ BHP? Can you get uprated rotor arm and dis cap or are they all pretty much standard? I have a b230fk, IPD turbo camshaft and wheel on its way, eventually a 19T or similar turbo upgrade.
Thanks,
Rick

hello mate hows things so you are going 19t bound are you .msd do the coils ,magnacor k85 are the leads ,t5r are the plugs,dissy and rotor are fine and i think you have the chips already but get a 960 maf or put yours in a 3in pipe .im putting mine in a 4in pipe to go with the group a k/n filter to run more boost lol.it would be nice if you get your car finished to see you at the drag meets .then i would not be the only rwd on the track.check the wheel because the ipd 1 is for square tooth only not round like the later models

rick84
Monday 21st February 2011, 23:07
Bugger! Didn't know about the wheel difference. I was told that it would fit a 1997 B230FK, no? Will see what it's like when it's turns up. Suppose I could sell it if it doesn't fit and just keep the cam. Got IPD uprated ignition leads, 8mm as opposed to the 85mm of the magnecor. Got 3" 960 MAF, need to source some pipe and different plug for it. Will check MSD for the the coil. Still not sure of what turbo to get. I'd have to get someone to fit it and make a custom exhaust and downpipe anyway. Was thinking 19T, but just seen Garrett GT35 which would be nice if it could be made to fit. What other oil cooled external wastegate options are there?

smithy
Monday 21st February 2011, 23:34
Bugger! Didn't know about the wheel difference. I was told that it would fit a 1997 B230FK, no? Will see what it's like when it's turns up. Suppose I could sell it if it doesn't fit and just keep the cam. Got IPD uprated ignition leads, 8mm as opposed to the 85mm of the magnecor. Got 3" 960 MAF, need to source some pipe and different plug for it. Will check MSD for the the coil. Still not sure of what turbo to get. I'd have to get someone to fit it and make a custom exhaust and downpipe anyway. Was thinking 19T, but just seen Garrett GT35 which would be nice if it could be made to fit. What other oil cooled external wastegate options are there?

all the volvo turbos are straight bolt on just need to sort exhaust but angled flange on 19t might be a problem .18t would be a better option due to straight exhaust flange.t3 or t34 would be a better option but need to make custom conectors though.the cheap option is 16t or 18t with straight flange ,any exhaust place could do an exhaust to fit these turbos,me7 blue injectors,resistor mod,fpr,coil,3in maf,ipd cam,s.a.m.cam wheel like mine for round teeth,chips,20 to 22 psi this would make a really quick car mate.

rick84
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 17:13
Would an 18T be able to take 20psi+? What wheel would I need then, S.A.M?

smithy
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 20:13
Would an 18T be able to take 20psi+? What wheel would I need then, S.A.M?

yes mate the is alot more air to keep turbo cool in 940 bay mate and yes s.a.m is were i got mine

rick84
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 18:38
Thanks smithy. I've ordered the cam kit so would wouldn't I just be able to swap the wheel and the belt over to the old style?
Also, I'll have a look into an 18t, its the straight flange I need isn't it?
Been working loads of overtime to pay for all this, can't wait til it's all done.

smithy
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 20:54
Thanks smithy. I've ordered the cam kit so would wouldn't I just be able to swap the wheel and the belt over to the old style?
Also, I'll have a look into an 18t, its the straight flange I need isn't it?
Been working loads of overtime to pay for all this, can't wait til it's all done.

no mate you will have to change the crank pully for the square tooth type and the water pump and the round tooth is a better design mate.if you cannot get an 18t you could put a 19t on but use a 16t flat flange exhaust housingthat can be easly fitted by any turbo place.

rick84
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 22:57
thanks, I'll keep an eye out see what comes up. Can you recommend anywhere to get turbo installed and custom exhaust and downpipe fitted? want 3" diameter. Did you all your work on your own?

smithy
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 23:02
thanks, I'll keep an eye out see what comes up. Can you recommend anywhere to get turbo installed and custom exhaust and downpipe fitted? want 3" diameter. Did you all your work on your own?

yes mate designed and built it myself mate

p fandango
Thursday 24th February 2011, 19:25
Will check MSD for the the coil.
i paid £44 for my Blaster SS coil direct from MSD LINK (http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Coils/Street/Strip/8207_-_MSD_Blaster_SS_Coil.aspx)