PDA

View Full Version : ATF OIL which one please should i do it twice?

watchmytracer
Saturday 19th February 2011, 20:54
Hi i want to change my ATF oil could someone please clarify which one i need for my 2001 geartronic cheers or is it just a go to the stealer job? as i have read about using Toyota Type IV ATF. also i was planning to do a straight change or should i drain-top up then run through gears then drain again .

Al115
Saturday 19th February 2011, 20:57
I don't know the spec, but you can get the right stuff outside of main dealers.

As for the change, you cannot actually drain more than about 30% of the gear oil IIRC. I understand that a main dealer would drain it, change it, drive it through all the gears, and drain it and change it again. It doesn't get 100% of the fluid (more like 50%) but that's considered good enough by Volvo.

Happy to hear from anyone who knows more?

v70torslanda
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:13
ATF-U is the correct fluid.

Don't bother buying it from Volvo, that's just an exercise in spending money.

Carlube is as good as any (http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?product=153) 'From all good car shops and most crap ones!'

Get about 8 or 10 litre bottles or 2 gallons if you are feeling brave. I prefer litre bottles as they're easier to handle. You'll get 3 litres from the gearbox sump and a further 2-ish if you take the top cooler pipe off and run the engine.

Put 5 litres back in ONLY FILL THRU THE DIPSTICK HOLE. There's an urban myth that if you remove a bolt on the side of the box you can fill to exactly the right level, all that happens is that you comprehensively F**K 3rd gear. Leave the top cooler pipe off and run the engine in 20 second start/stops catching the fluid as it comes out.

When you've run about 3 litres out the colour should clear to red. You now have clean fluid in the box and torque converter. Refit the hose and top up to the correct level.

Do it again in 6 weeks, sooner if the fluid goes dirty quickly.

watchmytracer
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:57
just been looking whats the difference between atf-u and atf-g

v70torslanda
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:59
SRSLY

One's the right fluid and the other isn't. :)