PDA

View Full Version : Bloody car....again!!!! Help :(

JelT5
Saturday 19th February 2011, 19:53
As a couple of you know I've clocked up over £5Ks worth repairs since buying my low mileage, but obviously badly maintained T-5R last May.

There'd been a bit of a problem with it jumping out of 2nd from about my third month of ownership; so, I've been keeping the miles and racing down in an attempt to keep it going until the summer when I should be able to afford to have the work done- I'm limited as to what I can do due to not having the facilities and having a bad back injury which makes doing even simple jobs excruciatingly painful.
This morning I had the usual jump out of second followed by some nasty grinding noises- can still drive the car but it's not at all pleasurable to say the least.

So, I could do with an M56- very cheap please guys because I've been out of work since Nov last year and all my savings have gone on this git of car!

Thanks fellas :)

Flatout Phil
Saturday 19th February 2011, 20:45
If we can get a whole Volvo together for Emlyn, surely someone can dig out one of these for Jerry???

jason850t5
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:39
Which models have the m56?

p fandango
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:42
all 850 T-5's, although early ones had the speed sensor mounted into the gearbox while later ones took the speed pulse from the ABS sensor

The Flying Moose
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:48
Jerry I have an M56 you can have for free if you havnt solved it all by June when I return from the Falkland Islands, ill even pop over with the toolbox and help fit it if you need the help. Yes I know you live in France but the oportunity for a trek out to Frog land wouldnt go a miss.

smithy
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:51
As a couple of you know I've clocked up over £5Ks worth repairs since buying my low mileage, but obviously badly maintained T-5R last May.

There'd been a bit of a problem with it jumping out of 2nd from about my third month of ownership; so, I've been keeping the miles and racing down in an attempt to keep it going until the summer when I should be able to afford to have the work done- I'm limited as to what I can do due to not having the facilities and having a bad back injury which makes doing even simple jobs excruciatingly painful.
This morning I had the usual jump out of second followed by some nasty grinding noises- can still drive the car but it's not at all pleasurable to say the least.

So, I could do with an M56- very cheap please guys because I've been out of work since Nov last year and all my savings have gone on this git of car!

Thanks fellas :)

speak to emlyn he has just broke a t5r

jason850t5
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:51
So my W reg s70 t5 me7 wouldnt be any help then? I'm breaking it over next couple of weeks and the gear box will only be going to scrappers as I don't have the equipment to remove it.

The Flying Moose
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:53
speak to emlyn he has just broke a t5r

My only problem Carl is that its sat in my garage and the only garage key is here in the South Atlantic with me. I could post it back but it would require someone with an MOD ID to get on camp to get it. Alot of hastle.

Like I say if its not solved by June you can have the M56 and clutch etc for free.

smithy
Saturday 19th February 2011, 22:07
My only problem Carl is that its sat in my garage and the only garage key is here in the South Atlantic with me. I could post it back but it would require someone with an MOD ID to get on camp to get it. Alot of hastle.

Like I say if its not solved by June you can have the M56 and clutch etc for free.

that is abit of a problem that sorry mate was not thinking and the other thing sorted monday mate

p fandango
Saturday 19th February 2011, 22:10
So my W reg s70 t5 me7 wouldnt be any help then? I'm breaking it over next couple of weeks and the gear box will only be going to scrappers as I don't have the equipment to remove it.
yes it will fit, even if the speedo sensor's are different the wiring can be changed about

jason850t5
Saturday 19th February 2011, 22:19
yes it will fit, even if the speedo sensor's are different the wiring can be changed about

Well I can provide the box but that's it. Would need someone with right tools to come and remove it.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 19th February 2011, 22:46
Jerry I have an M56 you can have for free if you havnt solved it all by June when I return from the Falkland Islands, ill even pop over with the toolbox and help fit it if you need the help. Yes I know you live in France but the oportunity for a trek out to Frog land wouldnt go a miss.

I am sure you could get a fitting gang together to go out to Metz to sort the job! Even if I can't come, drop by en route and you will get a meal out of me - if not a kipping point.

Vikingxl
Saturday 19th February 2011, 23:08
Isnt Spesh breaking an 850?

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 05:35

That's really kind of you Emlyn, but I'm hoping I can get it sorted before June...
it's the daily driver (I take Mrs Jel to work every day lol) and don't fancy bussing it for the next few months :(
You'd be more than welcome to come over anyway though mate and see the beautiful city/ area where I live!

The car might make it back to UK before the box dies completely; it's 310 miles to the Dunkirk ferry from Metz...I'll be attempting to raise some cash by selling some stuff on ebay to try and fund this :)
Sadly, I've sold 7 pretty good guitars in the last few years so only got one decent one left and although I could probably get £1.5k for it, I don't want it to go, because, as and when I do get some more work, I'll need the tools of my trade!

I'll swap this for an operational gearbox, fitted though, in case anyone's interested lol

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 07:01
Well I can provide the box but that's it. Would need someone with right tools to come and remove it.

Thanks mate- have to see if anyone volunteers now!

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th February 2011, 08:58
Might help if we knew where jason850t5 lives

andyb1375
Sunday 20th February 2011, 09:09
Would be happy to assist.Have all the tools etc

Vikingxl
Sunday 20th February 2011, 09:32
Jason is in north yorkshire i think

WOODY T5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 10:01
i would be happy to help to

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 10:37
Thanks for all the offers of help guys; it's really very kind- just need an M56 now :D

jason850t5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 10:51
Jason is in north yorkshire i think

Correct. Scarborough. Probably the wrong end of the country but the offers there if a better solution can't be found.

smithy
Sunday 20th February 2011, 10:59
i will see if i can sort a box in the midlands for you and me and james could fit it in the small work shop ive just got with your help too if this helps .speak to jamest5r to see if anything can be done mate

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 11:05
i will see if i can sort a box in the midlands for you and me and james could fit it in the small work shop ive just got with your help too if this helps .speak to jamest5r to see if anything can be done mate

You're star mate- I did mention about the box to James a couple of days ago; I hoped it might last to the summer :( didn't though hey lol
I'll PM James a bit later mate.
Thank you :)

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 11:10
Correct. Scarborough. Probably the wrong end of the country but the offers there if a better solution can't be found.

Thanks Jason :)

Jamest5r
Sunday 20th February 2011, 17:39
I think ive still got one off the 854 i broke at Nads place late last year, the engine was sold but not the box so in theory it should still be there, just spoken to Shaz and he's going to check for me so if its there it's yours mate just a few beers when we next meet, if this falls through could someone in the Yorkshire area take Jason up on his kind offer and get the box off and to me and me and Smithy can sort the rest. Will have to make a plan on getting it fitted either we come down to the south coast if anyone has anywhere we can use for an afternoon?? or you come to the midlands.

S70T5Chris
Sunday 20th February 2011, 17:51
I've got a workshop in Southampton. Not a huge amount of room, but probably enough. Failing that there's always outside my workshop if it's not p!ssing down!

I'd be more than happy to let you guys use that if you need somewhere down this way to do the swap. I'd offer to help change it, but I'd be about as much use as t!ts on a fish in that department!!

I'll do anything I can to help mate.

Also, Jerry I'll ask around see if I know anyone with a spare M56, just in case.

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 17:53
I think ive still got one off the 854 i broke at Nads place late last year, the engine was sold but not the box so in theory it should still be there, just spoken to Shaz and he's going to check for me so if its there it's yours mate just a few beers when we next meet, if this falls through could someone in the Yorkshire area take Jason up on his kind offer and get the box off and to me and me and Smithy can sort the rest. Will have to make a plan on getting it fitted either we come down to the south coast if anyone has anywhere we can use for an afternoon?? or you come to the midlands.

Hi Jim, at this rate I'll have to buy a brewery for you guys lol this yet another example of what a good bunch of folk are on this forum. Thank you.
Meant to PM you earlier about it, sorry mate.
The only fly in the ointment at the mo is me getting enough cash together to make the travel back (hopefully the car will make it)- I'll get that sorted as soon as I can though and keep you posted.
Happy to come to the Midlands, to save you guys travelling as you're being kind enough to fit it for me.
Will I need to get a clutch too? I guess it'd be sensible to replace it at the same time wouldn't it? That could delay things a bit :(

Once again thanks to everyone, it looks like the Shed will be fixed again soon!

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 17:55
I've got a workshop in Southampton. Not a huge amount of room, but probably enough. Failing that there's always outside my workshop if it's not p!ssing down!

I'd be more than happy to let you guys use that if you need somewhere down this way to do the swap. I'd offer to help change it, but I'd be about as much use as t!ts on a fish in that department!!

I'll do anything I can to help mate.

Also, Jerry I'll ask around see if I know anyone with a spare M56, just in case.

Chris, what can I say mate? Lost for words tbh! Thank you mate :)

p fandango
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:01
Happy to come to the Midlands, to save you guys travelling as you're being kind enough to fit it for me.
i'm down south the first week in May, obviously up for meeting & trying to help if you do end up coming to the Midlands so i can take the p**s in person finally :wink: lol

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:05
i'm down south the first week in May, obviously up for meeting & trying to help if you do end up coming to the Midlands so i can take the p**s in person finally :wink: lol

I hope I can get back before then mate! Not that I don't want to meet up (I'm being polite lol), just need to get the Shed sorted asap.

p fandango
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:06
I hope I can get back before then mate!
i did think that but thought i'd let you know anyway mate

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:17
Could you get to Saclay(SW Paris)at all?

I'm there every three months, due to be there in March some time.

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:30
Could you get to Saclay(SW Paris)at all?

I'm there every three months, due to be there in March some time.

I could do mate- it's getting hold of the parts that could be difficult, unless you can bring them with you? Shipping of bits from the UK is mighty expensive.

EDIT: apologies to all, my thanking button has gone awol again...wondered why my wrist was aching lol

p fandango
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:33
EDIT: apologies to all, my thanking button has gone awol again...wondered why my wrist was aching lol
mine disappeared earlier today, & i haven't done much thanking today

JelT5
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:38
mine disappeared earlier today, & i haven't done much thanking today

That's good to hear, glad it's not just me who is thankless lol

S70T5Chris
Monday 21st February 2011, 15:14
Has anyone got a gearbox sorted for definite? A friend of mine 'might' have one available towards the end of the month that we can get hold of.

JelT5
Monday 21st February 2011, 15:30
Has anyone got a gearbox sorted for definite? A friend of mine 'might' have one available towards the end of the month that we can get hold of.

I'm still waiting to hear from James about a possible replacement Chris.
So nothing as yet. So, the 'might' option could be good!

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 18:21
Ok, found a gearbox lurking in a dark corner, however it's got no bloody sticker on it, how can identify what it is for obvious reasons.

Jamest5r
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 19:01
Anyone?, any codes stamped on somewhere under the dirt??.

JelT5
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 20:05
Anyone?, any codes stamped on somewhere under the dirt??.

If no one comes up with anything, I'll contact Rufe tomorrow and see if he has any info mate.

Vikingxl
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 22:28
Might be cheaper in the long run to buy a pair of goats and a cart??

Vikingxl
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 22:37
Is it a manual or an auto box you need?

Vikingxl
Tuesday 22nd February 2011, 22:45
Just another quick thought can someone with european recovery not post you their card and then you pretend to be them and get transported back? MIght be a really crap idea but ive never used european recovery so not sure how it works but im sure someone will

JelT5
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 05:52
Is it a manual or an auto box you need?

Manual M56

Just another quick thought can someone with european recovery not post you their card and then you pretend to be them and get transported back? MIght be a really crap idea but ive never used european recovery so not sure how it works but im sure someone will

I think that'd be ok if the car was still on a UK reg. May be difficult explaining why I want a French reg'd car rescued from France and taken back to the UK ;)

The goat cart is looking like a good option! Do you know if they come with air bags and sips mate? Safety first and all that lol

Vikingxl
Wednesday 23rd February 2011, 07:25
Well goats sip water

JelT5
Thursday 24th February 2011, 05:47
Well goats sip water

and you don't have to descale them ;)

JelT5
Thursday 24th February 2011, 05:52
M56 has been sourced and acquired by ChrisS70T5

Second time you've sorted a transmission for me, thanks mate!

:hail:

Thanks to everyone for input and offers of help :)

Hopefully I'll be able to get back to UK soon to get the sucker fitted!

Vikingxl
Thursday 24th February 2011, 08:47
Nice job Chris

S70T5Chris
Thursday 24th February 2011, 17:45
No worries, it wasn't just me though. James had hand in it, and I called in a few favors from at least 3 of the nasty boys from T5D5! LOL!

JelT5
Thursday 24th February 2011, 17:54
No worries, it wasn't just me though. James had hand in it, and I called in a few favors from at least 3 of the nasty boys from T5D5! LOL!

Big thanks to you and James then and the nasty boyz (lol sounds like some sort of boy band :help:).

Inter- forum cooperation, nice one mate :)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 24th February 2011, 17:59
Good one Chris.

S70T5Chris
Thursday 24th February 2011, 18:24
the nasty boyz (lol sounds like some sort of boy band :help:).

Actually they were tag team back in the good old days of WWF Wrestling! LOL!

JelT5
Thursday 24th February 2011, 18:52
Actually they were tag team back in the good old days of WWF Wrestling! LOL!

Now I'm getting slightly concerned lol

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 11:00
Le gearbox dans me garage. lol.

GazT4R
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 15:50
No worries on sorting the box out, I was going to keep it for a manual conversion sometime in the future but someone was obviously more in need so passed it onto Chris for Jerry.
It did a fair old journey around the country via the courier service. I was in Notts for my birthday seeing some friends and having a break so picked up the box from Mark who was selling it, it then headed over to Chorley where we broke another car on the Saturday and met up with Warren who took it back down to Chris.
If you need a hand on change day give me a PM on the nasty forum Chris ;).

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 1st March 2011, 16:09
No worries on sorting the box out, I was going to keep it for a manual conversion sometime in the future but someone was obviously more in need so passed it onto Chris for Jerry.
It did a fair old journey around the country via the courier service. I was in Notts for my birthday seeing some friends and having a break so picked up the box from Mark who was selling it, it then headed over to Chorley where we broke another car on the Saturday and met up with Warren who took it back down to Chris.

Cheers Gaz, your help was much appreciated!

JelT5
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 16:04
Le gearbox dans me garage. lol.

La boite de vitesses est dans mon garage Chris ;)

JelT5
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 16:10

Thanks for all your efforts Gaz, really appreciated mate.

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I've been in hospital since last Friday eve...got rushed in with peritonitis caused by a perforated intestine; was in a bad way for a few days and it was touch n go for the first 24hrs...so all the effort for the gearbox might have been wasted lol!
I live to fight another day :D

It may be a little while before I can get back to UK now though guys, as I'm on heavy meds for at least three weeks :(
May not be on the forum that much either.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 17:02

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I've been in hospital since last Friday eve...got rushed in with peritonitis caused by a perforated intestine; was in a bad way for a few days and it was touch n go for the first 24hrs...so all the effort for the gearbox might have been wasted lol!

It may be a little while before I can get back to UK now though guys, as I'm on heavy meds for at least three weeks :(

Just take it slowly and let the treatment get to grips with the problem. Hope you feel brighter soon!

kee1173
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 17:26
All the best mate ....hope the recovery is quick //you an the car LOL

GazT4R
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:05

Bloody hell mate you don't have the best of luck. Get well soon.

smithy
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:17
Bloody hell mate you don't have the best of luck. Get well soon.

bloodyhell mate if you didnt have bad luck you would have no luck .get well soon and keep intouch we are here to help mate

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:24
get well soon mate!

Vikingxl
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 22:35
Get well soon Jerry!

Jamest5r
Thursday 3rd March 2011, 23:44
Bloody old rockers, got no stamina :hidesbehi

JelT5
Friday 4th March 2011, 06:02
Bloody old rockers, got no stamina :hidesbehi

Less of the lip young man ;)

JelT5
Friday 4th March 2011, 06:15
Actually guys, I was really, really lucky.

Was due to go for a scan (for my back) 3 weeks ago today but, the Olive Shed decided to have a terminal battery failure, so had to make a new appointment for the scan for last Friday. Saved my life!

I was in alot of pain from what I thought was waterworks (yeah, me knob lol) infection and was due to see the doc on Sat morning....it was during the scan that the infection was found to be far worse and not where I thought it was.
Surgeon told me that if it had been had left it until Sat morning it could have been untreatable, even with surgery, as it was spreading so rapidly through my guts...

So, I feel I was incredibly lucky and not unlucky so there :haha:

Also goes to show that Volvo's are really safe (indirectly) too lol

Thanks for the good wishes guys :)

smithy
Friday 4th March 2011, 08:40
i had that type of infection [yeah me knob lol] but mine was dirty women and alcohol and 5 different times i had to visit the special clinic twice lol.just shows what my past was like lol

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 4th March 2011, 09:38
Get well soon Jerry. I see you're up and about early :)

JelT5
Friday 4th March 2011, 09:43
i had that type of infection [yeah me knob lol] but mine was dirty women and alcohol and 5 different times i had to visit the special clinic twice lol.just shows what my past was like lol

lol me too mate, that's why I thought it was just mere knob rot again ;)

JelT5
Friday 4th March 2011, 09:45
Get well soon Jerry. I see you're up and about early :)

Thanks Mr PA...hope you're doing well now after your serious illness :)

Was forced out of bed by my accursed cat as per usual lol