PDA

View Full Version : 850R manual turquoise - yellow dash ....

Giles
Friday 18th February 2011, 23:48
i am almost the proud owner of my first manual R. But - Turquoise, ok (some peers like the colour, would have preferred red or black). Yellow dash .......hmm.......anyone know how hard it would be to change this to black .......plus gear lever surround etc. Always fancied an 'R' manual but not with a yellow dash lol ..... cream leather interior tho ;)

Jamest5r
Saturday 19th February 2011, 00:09
Which bits of the dash are yellow? sorry never seen one that colour, re the gear surround i wanted to take the knob off the top so i could cut mine down apparently this can be done but i gave up on it after a while lol, the bottom bit just clips in and out easy.

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 00:30
the yellow was similar to the yellow digustingness in my r i soon replaced it all with nice ali as for the gear knob james i cut mine off with a bread knife took a while though not easy

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 00:30
i am almost the proud owner of my first manual R. But - Turquoise, ok (some peers like the colour, would have preferred red or black). Yellow dash .......hmm.......anyone know how hard it would be to change this to black .......plus gear lever surround etc. Always fancied an 'R' manual but not with a yellow dash lol ..... cream leather interior tho ;)

i like the colour very rare who wants to be the same as everyone else?

Jamest5r
Saturday 19th February 2011, 01:16
the yellow was similar to the yellow digustingness in my r i soon replaced it all with nice ali as for the gear knob james i cut mine off with a bread knife took a while though not easy

Ahhh that light beech sort of sick colour, yes i can understand why Giles wants it changed, as for the bread knife im sure thers got to be an easier way lol.

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 10:12
Ahhh that light beech sort of sick colour, yes i can understand why Giles wants it changed, as for the bread knife im sure thers got to be an easier way lol.

there aint mate it is moulded onto the stick if u remember i broke the white clip thing at the bottom of the gearstick cos i was pulling it too hard (oo-er missus) so cutting it off was the only way made a right mess, least ive got a nice chrome/carbon fibre one on now to match the dash

Vikingxl
Saturday 19th February 2011, 10:20
You can get the gearknob off by making a thin metal shim around the stick and forcing it up inside the gearknob.There are plastic tabs that spring out into a groove in the stick itself that stop you gearknob just coming off in your hand the shim will push them clear and it should just pop off

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 10:42
mine was moulded onto the stick cos i had to cut every single last piece off with a knife

Vikingxl
Saturday 19th February 2011, 11:17
Dodgy aftermarket knob you had then lol

t5 pete
Saturday 19th February 2011, 11:18
It is possibe to remove them whole but its a rite pain in the ass so if your not going to be using the old knob again the quickest and easyist way is to cut it off only takes a min.

Giles
Saturday 19th February 2011, 11:38
like this

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 13:42
so you are buying a car which you dont like the colour or interior ??????

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 13:46
Dodgy aftermarket knob you had then lol

nope

Giles
Saturday 19th February 2011, 14:09
so you are buying a car which you dont like the colour or interior ??????

Colour is ok - just if it was my choice, then it would be red or black but ultimately yellow.....

And lets be honest, who likes the yellow dash? The interior is ace though.

kee1173
Saturday 19th February 2011, 14:16
I actually like the Turquoise, looks nice especially with a set of anthracite alloys and all the black trim all glossed up..as for the dash..depending on your age it could be cool..i know my 12 year old son would love it lol...be trendy with the kids...
My first Awd V70 was turquoise and always looked good when cleaned up and actually sold within 2 days of ad cause people liked the colour...

Giles
Saturday 19th February 2011, 14:20
I actually like the Turquoise, looks nice especially with a set of anthracite alloys and all the black trim all glossed up..as for the dash..depending on your age it could be cool..i know my 12 year old son would love it lol...be trendy with the kids...
My first Awd V70 was turquoise and always looked good when cleaned up and actually sold within 2 days of ad cause people liked the colour...

Actually, I'm coming round to the turquoise ...... it is nice ..... I think to me, it just looks like a standard Volvo colour ....... as to the yellow dash tho .... if all else fails, it'll be rectified with a black marker pen ..... seriously, not the best colour in the world as a 34 year old, so may enquire as to a black/dark mahogany finish if it's an easy job?

kee1173
Saturday 19th February 2011, 14:27
Sure seen on ebay you can get the stick on trim covers in ali, black, etc that fit your car directly..if not just thought of a cracking idea to make millions LOL

Giles
Saturday 19th February 2011, 14:44
Sure seen on ebay you can get the stick on trim covers in ali, black, etc that fit your car directly..if not just thought of a cracking idea to make millions LOL

hmm.....only for auto's on ebay ..... and from USA and about £130 delivered .....

lance
Saturday 19th February 2011, 14:55
Giles I have fitted a Volvo Black gear knob, Im going to upload the pics shortly unfortunatly taken today which is a very grey day here in Nottingham. I quite like the birch wood trim its got a nice retro feel about it.

The Flying Banana
Saturday 19th February 2011, 15:40
i had the same interior in my black 850R, a good contrast is to put grey carpets in it from a black interior, breaks it up, the dash you get used to, i will try find a pic for you

lance
Saturday 19th February 2011, 15:51
Im actually throwing in Black mats covering/ protecting the original volvo tan colour ones and a usefull black volvo rubber load linner in the boot!

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 16:12
I took mine out of my v70r didnt like it though looking at an old pic i think it looks quite nice lol what do you think?

cherry1809
Saturday 19th February 2011, 16:17
When I was first looking for an R, I wanted one in black with the beige trim. Think it looks okay myself. :)

si850r
Saturday 19th February 2011, 17:41
the car i bought of you giles is flying now.........

see what you mean about the dash...a bit shocking nice leather tho

Giles
Saturday 19th February 2011, 17:44
the car i bought of you giles is flying now.........

see what you mean about the dash...a bit shocking nice leather tho

I felt bad about selling the HLM chip - it was well slow ...... hope you have had it done now and see the difference? I am back on the scene with 850R's - got the manual as above (dad all paid off etc) ...... just hope i dont have to have this head rebuilt 3 times lol ;)

smithy
Saturday 19th February 2011, 18:46
I felt bad about selling the HLM chip - it was well slow ...... hope you have had it done now and see the difference? I am back on the scene with 850R's - got the manual as above (dad all paid off etc) ...... just hope i dont have to have this head rebuilt 3 times lol ;)

dont worry mate we wont let you waste your money like that again peeps are here to help

Giles
Saturday 19th February 2011, 19:25
dont worry mate we wont let you waste your money like that again peeps are here to help

Thanks Carl - if I had known it was gonna cost £1,350 then .... well ..... I shall make sure next time "dont worry about the cost" means jack and to get a quote ...... they did a good job eventually tho ..... went from 23mpg average to 27mpg .....

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 19:29
should get your money back then in 125 years lol

si850r
Saturday 19th February 2011, 20:38
i ve got my eye on a 16 t for it....the blokes asking 140 for it at the mo....but said i can give him an offer as i have told him i can get one for cheaper......he reckons its a minter so i dont wanna take the pi** too much in case he tells me to do 1..........
I am right in saying that the 16t is a direct replacement for the 15g....I wont need to buy any thing else for it???

T5frankie
Saturday 19th February 2011, 20:40
yes but you might as well get an 18t mate if upgrading

Giles
Saturday 19th February 2011, 21:18
yes but you might as well get an 18t mate if upgrading

I was told exactly the same for the same car......had my eye on a 16T and was told the power difference would be neglible.......so i got an 18T for £250 but then sold it and never got round to it.......I am actually after an 18T or 19T for mine......if you hold on a while, and really want a 16T, you can have it off my R, but it wont be for 2 months or so .......

But, I would get an 18T .......

si850r
Sunday 20th February 2011, 10:16
is the 18t a direct replacement then? and would i need to swap anything else?

smithy
Sunday 20th February 2011, 10:48
is the 18t a direct replacement then? and would i need to swap anything else?

direct bolt on mate and change the injectors to whites or blues ,blues are easier to get off the me7s and a remap and then your off

Giles
Sunday 20th February 2011, 18:35
Couldn't you also just buy this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270703201614&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en and bolt it straight in?