PDA

View Full Version : Ive got a new toy

lance
Friday 18th February 2011, 16:49
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201106379062376/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/5000/model/v50/make/volvo/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/20/postcode/ng43fp?logcode=p

Yeap couldnt resist it so close to home, I need get some work done now to replenish my funds.

As soon as the 850R has gone will be having an essential software upgrade!

SKIDMARKS
Friday 18th February 2011, 16:57
Cracking colour. Are thay much smaller inside than the v70 ? and why not the 250 bhp as the v70 !! They are a nice shape.

JelT5
Friday 18th February 2011, 17:39
Nice...remap definitely on that :)

t5_monkey
Friday 18th February 2011, 17:52
Cracking colour. Are thay much smaller inside than the v70 ? and why not the 250 bhp as the v70 !! They are a nice shape.

They have the 2.5 LPT from the Focus ST (or vice versa)

less lag, but less power too - remap takes them to 240-250.

Don't get a BSR map! throttle is very jumpy, go MTE/Rica

IIRC they have 155bhp/tonne stock - same power to weight as the S60 T5.

They are quite small compared to a V70 inside.

hamish
Friday 18th February 2011, 18:35
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201106379062376/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/5000/model/v50/make/volvo/page/1/quicksearch/true/radius/20/postcode/ng43fp?logcode=p

Yeap couldnt resist it so close to home, I need get some work done now to replenish my funds.

As soon as the 850R has gone will be having an essential software upgrade!

Hi,

That was a bit of a bargain. I've been looking for a V50 T5 for under £5k with sensible miles for a while and I'd given up !!
Well done.

The tuning potential of that car is endless. We've got all the Kits ready to go for upto 350hp. Our Autotech sw is supreme on those and kicks all the other offerings off the pitch ! With just a remap you will see a genuine 265hp with Autotech and real nice AFR (12). Then it's Sport Cat, Intercooler, Airbox, Focus RS Turbo & 550cc injectors in about that order taking you all the to 350hp if you want.

Anyway enjoy, cracking car,

Regards,
Hamish.

t5_monkey
Friday 18th February 2011, 18:43
Hi,

That was a bit of a bargain. I've been looking for a V50 T5 for under £5k with sensible miles for a while and I'd given up !!
Well done.

The tuning potential of that car is endless. We've got all the Kits ready to go for upto 350hp. Our Autotech sw is supreme on those and kicks all the other offerings off the pitch ! With just a remap you will see a genuine 265hp with Autotech and real nice AFR (12). Then it's Sport Cat, Intercooler, Airbox, Focus RS Turbo & 550cc injectors in about that order taking you all the to 350hp if you want.

Regards,
Hamish.

Just don't get too upset if the liners go :-) excuse to get an RS block!

lance
Friday 18th February 2011, 18:43
Yeah quite small inside compared to an 850 V70 P1 or P2 but feels solid, But pleanty of room for me and family seems bigger than my B5 S4. The LPT engine suits my driving style as I dont wring my engine out very often. Actually feels quicker than I remember the Focus ST feeling, plus better build quality and far more stealth like! Very pleased overall!

lance
Friday 18th February 2011, 18:48
Hi,

Well done.

Regards,
Hamish.

Thanks Hamish, sounds very tempting indeed, need to top up my funds a bit first!

hamish
Friday 18th February 2011, 21:18
Just don't get too upset if the liners go :-) excuse to get an RS block!

Nah the liners on the ST are easily good for 350 hp and the liners in the RS block so far appear to be good for 500hp.....:biggrin:

Vikingxl
Friday 18th February 2011, 21:18
Nice one Lance hope you are happy with it

hamish
Friday 18th February 2011, 21:27
Yeah quite small inside compared to an 850 V70 P1 or P2 but feels solid, But pleanty of room for me and family seems bigger than my B5 S4. The LPT engine suits my driving style as I dont wring my engine out very often. Actually feels quicker than I remember the Focus ST feeling, plus better build quality and far more stealth like! Very pleased overall!

The handling and road holding is in a different league to your other Volvos. That isn't really a LPT it will happily take more boost than your 850 !

t5_monkey
Friday 18th February 2011, 23:12
Nah the liners on the ST are easily good for 350 hp and the liners in the RS block so far appear to be good for 500hp.....:biggrin:

I know the RS block is good, there's been a lot of split liners over on the ST side though (due to boost spikes apparently?)

I spoke to a Volvo engineer of 20 years who said 330 is the sensible max for seriously long term reliability and 300 to be on the safe side!

If the engine did fail... what kinda cost would it be to get a new block installed??

I'm asking in case I need one if i get it upgraded further :D

cheers - ben

hamish
Friday 18th February 2011, 23:50
I know the RS block is good, there's been a lot of split liners over on the ST side though (due to boost spikes apparently?)

I spoke to a Volvo engineer of 20 years who said 330 is the sensible max for seriously long term reliability and 300 to be on the safe side!

If the engine did fail... what kinda cost would it be to get a new block installed??

I'm asking in case I need one if i get it upgraded further :D

cheers - ben

The split liners on STs will have all been caused by poor mapping and crazy boost. Autotech's remap will not give you boost spikes.

That's good to know that Volvo are confident it will cope with 330hp. If that is where you want to stop that's cool with me it's still going to be mental and you will still need a Quaife Diff. for the car to make any sense!

If you look on ebay there is a low mileage ST engine for £1895 Fitted.

Regards,
Hamish.

lance
Saturday 19th February 2011, 16:35
The handling is great, I think im going to get through front tyres quick as there is loads of grunt from 1500 rpm not unlike a diesel I can see how a map would benefit the mid to top range of revs. Now to be completely bonkers if this engine can take 350 ish BHP and an RS engine can take 500 BHP. How much is an RS engine?

cherry1809
Saturday 19th February 2011, 16:59
What's the RS engine got the T5 hasn't? Is it only liner thickness?

t5_monkey
Saturday 19th February 2011, 17:16
The handling is great, I think im going to get through front tyres quick as there is loads of grunt from 1500 rpm not unlike a diesel I can see how a map would benefit the mid to top range of revs. Now to be completely bonkers if this engine can take 350 ish BHP and an RS engine can take 500 BHP. How much is an RS engine?

I agree the engine is super responsive for a turbo, and great for general driving - you can easily catch someone out with instant shove even if you don't have time to change gear :)

The map helps the midrange more (10% more power but 20-30% more torque)... top end is limited by the air flow cause of the small turbo and stock cat/downpipe.

you need a new FMIC And downpipe to free up the top end, mine pulls nicely to 6500 with only a bit of tail off in the last 500 rpm - stock it feels like is breathless over 5000.

I saw a Focus RS engine on ebay for 3 grand.

What's the RS engine got the T5 hasn't? Is it only liner thickness?

It has a bigger turbo, different injectors, lower compression pistons/con-rods. Liners are no thicker AFAIK but 'stronger' due to plasma coating.

cherry1809
Saturday 19th February 2011, 17:36
Probably cheaper to strengthen the T5 block then, Rather than wang an unknown condition second hand RS block in. :)

t5_monkey
Saturday 19th February 2011, 18:53
Probably cheaper to strengthen the T5 block then, Rather than wang an unknown condition second hand RS block in. :)

Not sure how much new liners would cost in the existing block?

I've heard Darton liners are good but cost ££thousands??