PDA

View Full Version : Making my own "Zorst"

cherry1809
Thursday 17th February 2011, 18:19
Looking at buying some 2 1/2" mild pipe for my exhaust, And knocking one up for my trip in June. When I get back it'll be good for a pattern to knock one up in stainless... Well that was the plan. Is it me, Or is mild only marginally cheaper than stainless? Only a few quid cheaper per metre lengths... I'm confused :confused:

Vikingxl
Thursday 17th February 2011, 18:24
Talk to a local stainless steel stockholders they can advise and supply

nobananas
Thursday 17th February 2011, 20:04
I would have thought that mild was a LOT cheaper then stainless. The exhaust suppliers we use sell 2 meter lengths of mild in a variety of bores and wall thickness as well as bends and flexi sections. The straight stuff is usually only 4-5 quid a meter IIRC .

cherry1809
Thursday 17th February 2011, 20:08
Bloody e bay sellers are after about £15 plus £8 P+P a metre!!! For mild!!!
Think I'll visit the scrappy... Stand by for iffy Youtube vids of my homework. Lol.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 17th February 2011, 20:14
I have some 3" stainless sections, bends and bits - as well as a generic stainless rear box. Sure we could come to a deal if you were interested. That said, I think welding stainless is different to welding mild.

nobananas
Thursday 17th February 2011, 20:22
Bloody e bay sellers are after about £15 plus £8 P+P a metre!!! For mild!!!
Think I'll visit the scrappy... Stand by for iffy Youtube vids of my homework. Lol.

You could try an exhaust suppliers or garage, they get there stuff from trade retailers like we do and they may do you a deal seeing as they are not having to fit anything just supply.

cherry1809
Thursday 17th February 2011, 20:25
We have workshops and fitters at work that are easily bought by cans of beer. PM what you've got :)
Although it'll be easier when I've got a pattern to compare. I can probably stitch it together at home myself, But I haven't got stainless welding kit.
Just basic ARC and Gas in the shed (Sshhh)

Flatout Phil
Thursday 17th February 2011, 20:43
We have workshops and fitters at work that are easily bought by cans of beer. PM what you've got :)
Although it'll be easier when I've got a pattern to compare. I can probably stitch it together at home myself, But I haven't got stainless welding kit.
Just basic ARC and Gas in the shed (Sshhh)

I will go and have a recce.