PDA

View Full Version : 2000rpm and hitting a brick wall

Plodmonkey
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 02:01
when hitting 2000 rpm in any gear its like hitting a brick wall both when ragging it and also slow build up from the feel of it it feels like the turbo but not a professional so help please

wegal
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 05:16
Can you give more details ? Hitting a brick wall ? whats the car doing exactly ?

Plodmonkey
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 13:11
It's like theirs not much power after 2000rpm okay I no theirs not much anyway but it's like the car is hitting something it's hard to explain

wegal
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 13:50
If the car has a turbo , even a low pressure one id start looking at the intercooler pipes ( if it has one) or the turbo pipes. Take them off and examine them. Also check the intercooler for leaks / splits / damage.

If thats ok then maybe boost solanoid

Does it smoke when it tries to boost ?

How old is the car ? How many miles ? Does it missfire ? or just stop accelerating ? does it judder ?

Vikingxl
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 14:45
Im with Wegal check for leaks first

kee1173
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 15:39
Also check Maf Sensor ( my answer to everything LOL) but that was exactly the same as my Traffic Van ( deisel tho) but would not go over 2000 rpm and was the MAF Sensor but wether it is the same for a petrol Turbo not sure ... cheers Kee

Plodmonkey
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 17:02
It's a 2001 has about 72 to 73 thousand on the clock it doesn't miss fire theirs White smoke or condensation on idling could tell u about on boost and it's a low pressure turbo

kee1173
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 20:53
That is the same with a maf sensor.. does it idle ok.. cause with a MAF sensor runs/idles perfect but wont rev high or fast, normally if you back off the throttle it will creep up slowly.. if its like this would most likely to be MAF....

nobananas
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 21:13
I had exactly the same problem a while ago with my 850. The fault ended up being the cheap pattern fuel pump I fitted two months previously. The rubber hose connecting the pump to the underside of the sender unit had gradually 'walked' down the supply pipe (because the pump was too small and didn't fit the holder properly !) and was just sitting disconnected but just lightly pressing against the bottom of the supply pipe. Under light loads it was fine but when you booted it hard it would pull to about 2.5k then it was as if someone had turned it off !. I guess a dodgy fuel pump that's not producing enough pressure would cause the same symptoms.

Plodmonkey
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 22:37
Idles okay but as soon as I put the heater on a little bit it jumps up n down from about 400 rpm to 1100

t5 pete
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 22:53
Idles okay but as soon as I put the heater on a little bit it jumps up n down from about 400 rpm to 1100

When putting the heater on does the lights go dim then bright again if you sounds like the voltage reglator on the alternator

Plodmonkey
Wednesday 16th February 2011, 00:43
No the go dim wen subs on loud tho

wegal
Wednesday 16th February 2011, 11:15
few things Id check.

First is have the engine compression tested, it is very cheap, or you could buy the tester and do it yourself. Its not difficult. Im think that from your description of the white smoke that you may have a failed head gasket. Check your header tank, is the wter "oily" also have a look at your oil, is there white stuff around the filler cap / on the dipstick ? If so you have a failed head gasket. Even if there is no muck around those parts you may still have a failed head gasket. Do a compression test.

Can you get the codes read ? That will be the biggest indicator of whats wrong. These cars have a ton of electronics on them and something seemingly unrelated can cause issues. Normally costs about £25, but can save you hundreds in changing parts that dont need changing.

kee1173
Wednesday 16th February 2011, 19:18
You say they Dim when you put the subs on...Has this problem happened straight after fitting subs etc or soon after....or have subs etc been in a while and car been Ok ...