PDA

View Full Version : Poly bushes for front suspension

Flying Machine
Sunday 13th February 2011, 17:10
Hi All

Car coming up for MOT, am about to change brake discs, front tyres etc. I would also like to tackle an annoying 'sloppiness' that has gradually developed in the front end. I am thinking it's worn out bushes, it just feels vague and also sometimes the steering wheel isn't totally central when driving straight ahead. No noises or anything, no clunking or anything to suggest it's more than worn bushes.

It's an 850 T5 R. Anyone know of a good source of polly bushes and lower suspension arms for this car? If I could buy them already fitted to the arms would be better.

Also on full lock there is some noise from the top struts. The car is fitted with aftermarket dampers (Koni's), like a clunking sound. Is this a common problem? Been like that since I bought it 5 years ago, but now I would like to fix it once and for all.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Derek

LiamT4
Sunday 13th February 2011, 17:57
I'v seen some people say that when the track rod ends start to go it can make the front a bit sloppy and also make it feel like its pulling to one side. You may want look into this if your trying to sort things out.

Flying Machine
Sunday 13th February 2011, 18:21
Many thanks for that, could well be that. Yes it does pull to one side quite often, especially when running on the tramlines on motorways and worn out tarmac. I've just found Volvo Parts online and seen they are pretty cheap, so I will do them first. The lower wishbones are not so expensive so I may do them at the same time. Time to dust off the old Dunlop Optical tracking gauges!

On another note (sorry for the thread drift!) I also need a half decent paintshop around West London, to blow in the roof (missus dropped something out of the upstairs window onto it!) and the usual stone chipped mirrors, rust on the bottom of the tailgate. Any recommendations?

Volvostorm
Monday 14th February 2011, 08:35
Top strut mounts are common for wearing out, they aren't all that dear from the dealers, one thing I was told XCi90 top mounts fit, I believe they are slightly stronger, and cheaper than 850 ones.

Alot of PFV stuff if Scantech, which isn't always the best, I bet I've opened a can of worms by saying that!

p fandango
Monday 14th February 2011, 09:00
Top strut mounts are common for wearing out, they aren't all that dear from the dealers, one thing I was told XCi90 top mounts fit, I believe they are slightly stronger, and cheaper than 850 ones
sure Rufe said they only do XC90 mounts now

Volvostorm
Monday 14th February 2011, 10:55
If they do thats cool, last time I asked I was offered 850 ones :)

nobananas
Monday 14th February 2011, 21:01
Top strut mounts are common for wearing out, they aren't all that dear from the dealers, one thing I was told XCi90 top mounts fit, I believe they are slightly stronger, and cheaper than 850 ones.

Alot of PFV stuff if Scantech, which isn't always the best, I bet I've opened a can of worms by saying that!

Scantech TCA inner bushes are absolute pants !. I fitted a set to mine and got about 4 months out of them, went poly and 5 years on they are still good. Some pattern TCA's are pretty awful too. I fitted a pattern one to just one side of mine and it threw the steering wheel out by 45 degrees so it couldn't have been a very accurate copy part !

Eddy T
Tuesday 15th February 2011, 23:19
I fitted Powerflex bushes to mine about 2 years ago and still going strong. Tightened all the front end up a treat and then adding the strut brace completed the package and pratically deleted the mad torque steer.