PDA

View Full Version : No noise

MobyUK
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:21
I've just put a Pipercross cone filter on my T5 and there is no noticeable difference in the induction noise. Very dissapointing.
I thought these things were supposed to bark.

One other thing, when the standard filter box came off I noticed three small bore rubber piped going to some electric sensor/solenoid. One of the pipes goes nowhere. Is this right?

The Flying Moose
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:25
I suspect the pipe you mension is the pipe that sits in on the centre of the three connectors on the electronic sensor (boost control solenoid). This should connect to a small inlet on the pipework which feeds from the MAF sensor to the turbo intake.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:29
I think you need to search for the most quoted BCS pipework picture on the forum.

It is entirely possible that you hear no noise because you aren't making any boost.

kee1173
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:39
Just fitted a K&N cone filter to my V70 T5 and i have to say the note change is quite a bit and get a great whoosh noise when revving but to be honest also drivin normally you still hear the cone filter whoosh... does sound something not quite right as i say you cant miss the difference in sound after changing from std to cone....

p fandango
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:48
It is entirely possible that you hear no noise because you aren't making any boost.
its the other way round, with a pipe off no air will be getting to the actuator so running too much boost (inless its the return to intake pipe thats off)

I WOULDN'T DRIVE THE CAR UNTIL THE BCS IS CONNECTED CORRECTLY

p fandango
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:51
Just fitted a K&N cone filter to my V70 T5 and i have to say the note change is quite a bit and get a great whoosh noise when revving but to be honest also drivin normally you still hear the cone filter whoosh... does sound something not quite right as i say you cant miss the difference in sound after changing from std to cone....
wait till i get a new video of BT's induction noise :cuckoo:

kee1173
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:52
Gonna check my car now, all i did was take off top cover, take out filter then fit cone filter to duct after MAF sensor and thats it, did nt see any pipes apart from electrics to maf etc.. but then again i did nt look that hard... but car performs better and has a lovely sound so i presume ok..

p fandango
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 12:57
Gonna check my car now, all i did was take off top cover, take out filter then fit cone filter to duct after MAF sensor and thats it, did nt see any pipes apart from electrics to maf etc.. but then again i did nt look that hard... but car performs better and has a lovely sound so i presume ok..
bolted onto the side of the air box is the BCS (boost control solenoid) it'll have 3 small diameter vac pipes & a 2wire plug going to it. Its only mounted onto the airbox not ducted or take air from it in anyway. The warning was aimed at the original poster who said he'd got a pipe off it

kee1173
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 13:03

Well you wait till i get.....something thats good

gotta say tho the induction noise on mine now is very loud..even when pulling away slowly you here it..i had a cone filter on my 2.5 20v lpt and was now here near as noticable as the T5..

BTW how is BT comin along is it nearly ready yet

MobyUK
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 13:13
Flying Moose is right in that there are two pipes in line from each end and one on the middle.....that's the one that doesn't go anywhere else.

So I assume this is the BCS I'm looking at.
Where then is this third pipe supposed to go?

MobyUK
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 15:45
Just had another poke around and found a spigot sticking out of the underside of the air pipe that the maf connects to. That's obviously where this floating pipe is supposed to go. Recoonected it and it's made the tickover smoother. Seems to go a little better as well.

Still very little noise from the filter but I do get the waste gate type sound when I lift off the throttle.

p fandango
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 16:42
BTW how is BT comin along is it nearly ready yet
back to work now so pace has slowed up, not that i got much done during my holiday anyway lol

waiting for my MSD coil which might get me off my backside & doing more at night

claymore
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 16:58

I can't hear any induction noise on mine :(

claymore
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 17:00
Just had another poke around and found a spigot sticking out of the underside of the air pipe that the maf connects to. That's obviously where this floating pipe is supposed to go. Recoonected it and it's made the tickover smoother. Seems to go a little better as well.

Still very little noise from the filter but I do get the waste gate type sound when I lift off the throttle.

Put a polybush top engine mount on it :)

p fandango
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 17:12
I can't hear any induction noise on mine :(
no thats because you cheat & get to hear a supercharger instead :D

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 19:06
when i first fitted my bsr cone first impressions where poor,tho i only tiddled round the block when i got on decent roads and biult up boost then it all became clear,,,lol

MobyUK
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 19:46
Already got the poly top mount Claymore.
Maybe that's why we can't hear the induction noise. Perhaps if I put a large extension pipe from the filter to the side window :smile:

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 20:29
thats all the noise i get from the recirc when liftoff pedal,,you can hear slight turbo spool but have to realy listen,,,last car i had with cone filter was a 00 vectra gsi from the moment of acceleration you could hear induction sucking noise if you understand became more apparent with more go pedal,but none of my volvos done this never had a cone on my na ones,,

kee1173
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:12
Strange as mine change straight away, even to the point my wife came in and said what have you done to the car, all i keep hearing is a whooshing noise and it sounds sporty... got a lovely note to it now...

LiamT4
Wednesday 9th February 2011, 21:22
No noise at all? I'v just got a panel filter on mine and even that makes a bit of noise.

MobyUK
Friday 25th February 2011, 10:18
Well, very strange. Just done a run from Exeter to Usk and back and I can now definitely hear induction and recirc noise quite markedly. No idea why but I'll just enjoy it.