PDA

View Full Version : Would you sell your car to this man ?

silverback02
Saturday 5th February 2011, 19:34
Hi All,
My mate has his S80 for sale, and has recieved this reply:

Hi thanks for the reply. Due to my scheme of work I unfortunately
won't be able to view your car, nonetheless I still want to buy it.
I want to buy this car for my Cousin, as a birthday present, (his
birthday is in 2 weeks, so I want to buy it straightaway) I can only
pay through PayPal at the moment as I don't have access to my bank
account online (I don't have internet banking with it), but I have it
attached to my PayPal account, and this is why I'm insisting on using
PayPal to pay, another reason being is that it is a safe transaction,
so it will be safe for the both of us.
Once the money has cleared in your PayPal account, and you inform me,
I will arrange a shipping company; DHL, to come and pick the car up
from your home, and ship it to my cousin's house in time for his
birthday.
All I will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments, and
if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can easily set one up at
www.paypal.co.uk it will only take you a few minutes to do that, I
will be expecting your PayPal email account so I can pay at once.

Note: I will also include the shipping company's fee so kindly get
back to me with your PayPal email account so I can proceed with the
payment ASAP...
Thanks, in advance.

WOULD YOU RISK IT ????

I told my mate to look elseware.
Joe.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 5th February 2011, 19:39
Definately not, there's too many scammers these days.

Santa
Saturday 5th February 2011, 19:51
Nope I wouldn't. Mainly because if you cant prove you've posted something then Paypal can pull the money out of your account and put it into the buyers.

Never never accept a paypal payment for something that is to large to post and that you cannot get proof of postage.

gmain1967
Saturday 5th February 2011, 20:14
LOL....

Where's the cousin about - Nigeria????!!!!

Vikingxl
Saturday 5th February 2011, 20:15
Perhaps you should recommend a skoda fabia vrs??

macV70R
Saturday 5th February 2011, 20:20
Cant believe these scammers are still trying this method.I have had a few of these pathetic offers over the years when selling cars.People were even offering me more than its worth. The last one to try and scam me was sending the car to france for his wife !! I wouldnt trust paypal either, I got paid through paypal for a phone a couple of years ago, funds cleared and all sorted. A week later the money went back out of my account because they had been sent from a stolen credit card !

t5_monkey
Saturday 5th February 2011, 20:41
If I was buying and selling... I'd want two things

1 - to meet the person, shake their hand and eyeball them.

2 - a photocopy of their Drivers Licence or Passport (they could have a copy of mine too... if they wanted) so we knew where to find each other if anything went wrong.

If someone flinched at that... I'd back out - after all people swap details just for minor incidents, if they don't want you to know where they live - there's probably a reason for that.

silverback02
Saturday 5th February 2011, 20:54
Just as an heads up to anyone, here is his addy:

This is his email addy :

Gordon Hill <gordon.h.1972@gmail.com>

So warn anyone that might be selling BTW this was his reply after consulting me..lol

Sorry,
Not a chance.
YOU might be genuine, but hell of a lot who try this arn't and I'm not losing my car to anyone.
cash only
dean.

better safe than sorry,
Joe.

Jaseb77
Saturday 5th February 2011, 21:07
Aye, thats smells fishier than Billingsgate market

DHL come and pick a car up for shipping, in what a van. and a big cardboard box
NONSENSE

MrMark
Saturday 5th February 2011, 21:45
Just so you know, they don't put any money in your PayPal account. They send you a fake e-mail saying that £xxxx has just gone in your account. They just hope you dont log into paypal and realise.

Storm-Troll
Saturday 5th February 2011, 21:53
PMSL...... DHL only collect cars for transatlantic Container Shipping to other countries.. I should know.. I used to collect said Shipped cars.. been involved with the police in many a scam sting where I had to collect cars from dogey shipper garages that were under watch by the Coppers... Best one was a dodgey east end garage that had a 40 ft container for me to collect.. shipping paperwork said spare Machine parts.... I got there early and wandered in only to see in said container that there were 2 top of the range Black Mercs with no number plates. and to top it all. they had taped black bin liners over the cars as they had been told It would hide them from Thamesport Xray Scanners.. lmao... even got offered an envelope with £500 in to forget what I saw.. needless to say. had to refuse as the cops were watching the place. so I had to take the container to the Docks where Customs seized it and I guess the cops raided the garage once I left with container of evndence. but its the Bin Liners that made me laugh... guess it was their first time lol..

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 5th February 2011, 21:59
Tell him that your Paypal account is locked as someone tried to scam you and Paypal and the Police are looking for them. But if he want's to pay via a bank transfer please give you a call on 0300 123 1212. And ask for Mr Sargent :)

In case you're wondering that number will put you through to Southwark police station or any number of other nicks in London. :)

streaky744
Sunday 6th February 2011, 17:55
this happened to someone i know but for a jet ski.

they put £10,000 into his paypal for it. jet ski was advertised for £4000. he transfered all the money into his bank account then closed the paypal account for saftey. part of the deal was the jet ski was to be taken to the docks for shipping. so he took the jet ski to said docks and left it there for shipping.

he had an email from the buyer offering the £10,000 for it but later emails said he would want the change sending to him etc etc.
when the police knocked at his door it was not for the money but they had traced him as the last known keeper of the said jet ski that still sat at the docks and a large storage charge bill needed paying, he explained he had sold it via ebay, showed copies of emails and payment and fact buyer was arranging shipping etc.

long and short of it, he made a huge profit for his jet ski that is still at hull docks (2yrs later) and police where satisfied he had not broken any laws and honoured his part in the sale even if the buyer paid way over the odds for it.

so another way of looking at it is you could take the payment, move it to your bank if payment is real then do as he did, if the guy never collects the car thats his problem not yours. offer to drop it at the docks for him if he covers costs.

yes it may be a scam but the scammers can come out loosers as well by being clued up and you are not doing anything wrong after all you where selling goods and they are paying for them.

if transaction is outside of any auction site its a civil matter should they try to get money back when after all they have not collected goods.

mate turned his jetski into a mk1 whale tail cossie and still smiles every time he uses it thanks to someone in south africa.

t5_monkey
Sunday 6th February 2011, 18:30
this happened to someone i know but for a jet ski.

they put £10,000 into his paypal for it. jet ski was advertised for £4000. he transfered all the money into his bank account then closed the paypal account for saftey. part of the deal was the jet ski was to be taken to the docks for shipping. so he took the jet ski to said docks and left it there for shipping.

he had an email from the buyer offering the £10,000 for it but later emails said he would want the change sending to him etc etc.
when the police knocked at his door it was not for the money but they had traced him as the last known keeper of the said jet ski that still sat at the docks and a large storage charge bill needed paying, he explained he had sold it via ebay, showed copies of emails and payment and fact buyer was arranging shipping etc.

long and short of it, he made a huge profit for his jet ski that is still at hull docks (2yrs later) and police where satisfied he had not broken any laws and honoured his part in the sale even if the buyer paid way over the odds for it.

so another way of looking at it is you could take the payment, move it to your bank if payment is real then do as he did, if the guy never collects the car thats his problem not yours. offer to drop it at the docks for him if he covers costs.

yes it may be a scam but the scammers can come out loosers as well by being clued up and you are not doing anything wrong after all you where selling goods and they are paying for them.

if transaction is outside of any auction site its a civil matter should they try to get money back when after all they have not collected goods.

mate turned his jetski into a mk1 whale tail cossie and still smiles every time he uses it thanks to someone in south africa.

legend.

Vodaphone gave me £5500 once (seriously!) but that's another story altogether....

Closing your paypal, getting the money and sitting on the goods for at least 14 days before dispatching seems like a smart move if you are going to get yourselves involved in these dodgy deals :)