PDA

View Full Version : Removing powerflex top mount?

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 14:00
Love the old girl for her thunderous roaring etc, I am seriosuly considering reinstating the original top mount and removing the Powerflex. It just gets a bit wearing on the rest of the family on long journeys - you know how it is. Has anyone done this? I would guess it should cut the thunder a fair bit?

Opinions please.

And how tricky is it? I presume I would have to get a whole top mount assembly and bolt the bugger on - the mount holder would surely have to come off to allow a press to get the new bush in?

Volvostorm
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 18:48
Only the same as changing the standard bush for a new standard bush, Unbolt mount, remove poly, and press in new bush, and enjoy the floppiness! :P

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 18:55
I did exactly the same in mine as the noise was too much. The poly bush is in two halves and just pulls out very easily once you remove the metal sleeve in the middle.

The only problem is pressing the standard bush is a nightmare and the whole bracket has to be removed to do it, and it doesn't last very long.

What I did when my standard bush broke (only lasted a few months) was to drill 6 holes (about 10mm diameter) in the poly bush to lessen the noise (someone on here did it before). Seems to lessen the noise a lot but still has a nice sound, and I don't have to replace it every 6 months as I did with the rubber bush.

JelT5
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 20:08
You can never have enough noise, sorry chaps lol

:D

nobananas
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 20:20
What I did when my standard bush broke (only lasted a few months) was to drill 6 holes (about 10mm diameter) in the poly bush to lessen the noise (someone on here did it before). Seems to lessen the noise a lot but still has a nice sound, and I don't have to replace it every 6 months as I did with the rubber bush.

That was me ! :wavey:

cherry1809
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 20:34
I think you should take it out if your not happy with it, Wrap it up, I'll send you some wedge and you send me the poly bush :D

Volvostorm
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 20:44
You can never have enough noise, sorry chaps lol

:D

Too right! Hear and feel the 5 pot orchestra

Easy answer, you like the noise, kids don't, buy them ear plugs! Simples :D

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd February 2011, 21:53
That was me ! :wavey:
Thought it was, but I couldn't be arsed to search for it on here LOL.

Quite easy to do it, but I suggest using a high speed drill as once the bit gets hot it cuts/melts a smooth hole, otherwise it ends up rough (purely for looks really).

Great idea though, like I say it does remove some of the noise but lets enough through.